Last Online
    02-21-2024

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 4

Talking Vacancy 2: The First Cut

Well hello UHM, I'm back with you all, and yet I have another review. This time around it is not an 90's or 80's film, it is something of this time, Vacancy 2

For the many of you who have seen this, you know how this film is, for those of you who haven't, let me explain. Like "Punkinhead 2: Blood Wings" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning", Vancancy 2: The First Cut, takes that same route and explains how things begin to happen after the first film has been made, which is completely a waste when things should have been FULLY explained in the first from the get go. But who can complain, because I actually kind of enjoyed this film.

This sequel tells the story of how Mr. Smith got started in this game of killing. We follow a group of men at a hotel, two who work there and one who's a trucker, as they check guest into a room where there are hidden camera's within the walls and ceiling. Not only are these men peeping tom's but they sell what they record. With their luck, they check a guest in, which happens to be Mr. Smith. Hoping to see him fuck the brains out of another woman, he ends up killing her! Now the men start panicking as they try to figure out what they are going to do about the man, for the simple fact that they cannot call the sheriff, due to their circumstances of them peeping at other guest.

Eventually the men beat him up and tie him to a chair in another room. There in that room, Mr. Smith convinces the men that people are "into" seeing other people being killed. That's when the three men make there minds up to kill the next guest that come into the hotel, hoping to make a profit off of it.

Now this is when our leads come in, consisting of Caleb and his Fiancee Jessica, who are going to see her parents, who don't like Caleb too much. Now if that isn't worse enough, Caleb has brought along his sarcastic friend Tanner, who supplies most of the comedy relief in the film. Wanting to get some rest and freshen up, they stop at the hotel, where Mr. Smith and the others are. So they check into the room and everything seems to be fine, until Tanner, who snuck into the other room, turns on the television and sees Jessica and Caleb about to get it on. Then that's when things start picking up.

I know that sounds like a lot, and it really is, but I have to keep you all informed. Now I do have a couple of problems with this film, which is the killer himself, Mr. Smith. In a way he pisses you off, but you do realize that he is a killer. He's very brutal, killing anybody that stands in the way of him killing, even the elderly for that matter.

The characters in this film are decent, we do get good characterization and some good acting, especially from Mr. Smith, because of the fact that he does make you mad. But what makes me more agitated than anything is seeing these characters do the silliest things, like watching someone die and still trying to save them, hitting the killer with the weapon one time then dropping it by them so that the killer can get it and kill them with it, and the worse of them all, MISSING EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO KILL THE KILLER! Do these guys have any sense?

Other than that the suspense was good and we don't get any really special kills, well except for this one where a man's head gets pinned to a wall full of nails, but really the first is better than this when it comes down to suspense and brutality. Then again, in some parts it gets very brutal, but nothing spectacular. The atmosphere was great, kind of dark.

Now I would have given this movie a 7, but due to the fact that it seemed too much like STRANGERS and TCM, with them running all into the woods, going into houses that are in the middle of nowhere, and wearing sheets with eye holes in them, which are definite references to those films. Then I did want a little more suspense from the film and some gore, but overall it did keep my interest, so I give it a 6, for giving us a nice little tale of how this all turned out.

It's worth a rent, but go in with an open mind and don't expect a lot of gore or anything else for that matter.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Hey prince, welcome back.

Getting better on the reviews, you might still want to run it through Microsoft Word and do a grammar check.

Also, I dont think Pumpkinhead 2 was a prequel to the original...I think it's considered non-cannon.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

The devil made me do it
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-03-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    One of your better reviews and I have to say I mostly agree with you although I actually enjoyed this one more than the first

Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant fuckin Mark Twain shit.
    Cause its definitely gettin chiseled on your tombstone. ~Otis B. Driftwood~

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I think this movie is totally pointless which is a shame because the direction is quite slick and the acting is surprsingly good for a low budget horror film.

The reason why I say this movie is pointless is because if you have already scene the first Vacancy (which I imagine would be most people) you are fully aware no one is going to make it out alive. Result: zero suspense.

Last edited by lister; 06-09-2009 at 02:48 PM.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Never bothered with this, like I do with most pointless straight-to-DVD horror sequels.

Doomed!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-25-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I agree. I've never seen the flick, but it does strike me as being quite pointless. Kind of like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, or something. As someone said earlier, if you know what the end result will be, you've terminated most, if not all suspense.

The plot and his reason for killing all seem a tad bit lackluster, also.

Good review, though. You have a very casual writing style and I'm not saying that in a bad way. Some reviews read somewhat mechanically, but there's a touch of your own personality laced in your words, which is interesting. It's almost like the way someone would review a movie to a close friend.

Last edited by Damian; 06-09-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Shh, I wanna' hear you scream...

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-13-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    Hey prince, welcome back.

Getting better on the reviews, you might still want to run it through Microsoft Word and do a grammar check.

Also, I dont think Pumpkinhead 2 was a prequel to the original...I think it's considered non-cannon.
    Great review Prince. Never saw the original Vacancy though.

Also, were Pumpkinhead 3 and 4 any good anyway?

Rotting Member
    I have returned!!!!

Status
    Last Online
    07-05-2011

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add Wally The Cannibal on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Laugh_Oul_Loud PSN ID Warwick_Pride Steam ID Steam's still around? Wii Code Fuck Wii
    Whichever one starred Doug Bradley was pretty cool. Nothing spectacular, I just like him.

I gots a new band, it's a pretty cool band: WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/DTDHG

+ Reply to Thread