Status
    Last Online
    01-20-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Vampires are still monsters, aren't they?

I searched and couldn't find a thread, even though I tought I saw a similar-ish one recently but that might have been on another forum.

First of all, sorry if I write alot, but this is a subject that I can go on and on about.
    I don't know what I want to say with my post, but I think I just want to hear where you stand on the subject of vampires. What do you think about the flicks we get now compared to the classics? Do you enjoy the romance rather than the horror? Anything you have to say, say it.
    If you're only gonna bash me and my post, leave it.

I hate vampires. Atleast I always say I do when I talk to people, because I know that when we start a discussion about vampires, the films that are gonna be brought up are the crappy ones that seem to be the leading movies in the genre nowadays. I'm talking about stuff like Interview of a Vampire, Queen of the Damned, Twilight and Underworld. This kind of thing really doesn't work for me in any way. I can't stand them. They focus so much on the wrong things and the simple fact that vampires are still monsters is something they never to get right. Because of these disease ridden flicks, I've brainwashed myself into solely thinking "I hate vampires".

I watched 30 Days Of Night with my girlfriend this weekend. Obviously, since I have brainwashed myself with the opinion that vampires are fucking stupid, I had low expectations. I liked the film, even if the vamps were a bit retarded, but the filmmakers certainly remembered that vampires are monsters and they made it a horror movie, not a romantic drama flick with a horror theme or a horror version of Matrix. Watching this film made me remember why I was excited over watching a vampire movie when I was younger. Vampires can = horror. Not just faggot behavior. Other "RECENT" (they are more recent than my other favorites) flicks I like are The Night Flier, From Dusk Till Dawn and I think I liked Vampires.

We've all seen the really good ones, and when they are good they are fantastic, am I right? I'm talking Dracula ('81), Nosferatu ('22), The Lost Boys, Fright Night, Salem's Lot, Near Dark (ND might not carry too much of the horror, but it differs from the recent junk that studio's spit out on us). There's also alot of cool vampire movies that I watched as a kid but can't remember much from, not even the titles. One of them was with a woman being the Dracula-ish figure ("a leader", a count, queen, princess. Something), but I think I remember it was more a cat-thing than bats. Also a Dracula film that was good, something about a bunch of teens arriving in a minibus, he lived in a big mansion and (obviously) died from a stake through his heart but when he fell it was obvious the actor didn't wanna fall on the stake itself so he did a odd turn or something. Anyway, sorry for dragging with my post with that. There's also less good but still entertaining things like Bordello of Blood and Blood For Dracula.

I like horror comedies in general. Zombie comedies (I refuse to call them Zombedies) are something I like alot, but thinking about it, there has been a bunch of fun vampire flicks too, even though they don't stick with me as long and as "hard" as stuff like Braindead, Undead, Special Dead, etc did. We have titles like Dracula: Dead and Loving It, Vampire's Kiss with Nicholas Cage thinking he's a vampire and even Once Bitten with a young Jim Carrey is a very entertaining film, but even in this department does modern times suck hard, because I don't think I know any good ones that came recently at all.

For me, I think I just feel that there are so many good and decent vampire movies, but because of the total failures I mentioned earlier, I've become a big hater towards anything that is vampire-ish. If only more filmmakers made vampires scary instead, I would probably enjoy them just as much as I did when I was younger, and even be excited when I hear about a new title. I was even pissed when I heard that the guys behind Undead were doing a vampire film, and I didn't even know what it was gonna be about. I think maybe now I'm ready to give vampires a chance again, and I hope to let go off my hatred. Also, if anyone can recommend good OLD (unless there are superawesome new ones I've missed) vampire movies, you can go ahead and do it in here too.

Now..where do you stand?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Metapher; 02-01-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    There's good and bad films in all genres of horror. As far as vampire movies go, yeah there have been alot of bad ones, but certainly not enough to make me a
    "a big hater towards anything that is vampire-ish."

Bela Lagosi
    Lon Chaney
    John Carradine
    Christopher Lee
    Peter Cushing
    Chris Sarandon
    Gary Oldman
    Frank Langella
    William DeFoe
    K Sutherland
    Kate Beckinsale
    Wesley Snipes

are some of the reasons why I love vampire movies so much.

Last edited by koolmike; 02-01-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    "Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

The Idiot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-20-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Nice namedrops.

Yeah, there are good and bad in every genre, but vampires is the only ones that has affected me, because it seems like when I look around, no one acknowledge the classics at all, for them a good vampire flicks are exactly the ones I hate. It's like how zombies became braindead flesh eaters after NotLD. It feels like vampires has become this shit now, by the norm.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Just a matter of time before someone comes up with a new idea to make the classic vampire a modern day badass again...like BLADE for instance. Gary Oldman did a fine job as the romantic vampire Dracula originally portrayed by Bela Lagosi. But since then that type of vampire has lost it's appeal and others are making their way to the big screen. I'm sure this new breed of sissy vampires won't last long, at least I hope not .

Last edited by koolmike; 02-01-2009 at 11:05 AM.

The Idiot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-20-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Blade was an okay fun movie, I just never think of it as a vampire movie actually.
    And I don't mind all romance, and Gary Oldman's flick is actually quite alright, but I prefer Bela there. Of course vampires are seductive and romantic creatures, I don't mind it, but I want them to be monsters too. There are several films I've liked that has the typical hot woman being a vampire, and she seduces someone and whatnot, but the film still keeps it's horror.

Vampires stalking around a house and stuff can be very scary.

Salem's Lot is the only vampire film that scared me, and the scene that was the scariest as a kid was when the kid is sleeping and the vampire is outside of the window. Great scary stuff.

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 2
    Vampires stopped being monsters when you could hug and kiss them.

Rotting Zealot
    bears, beets, battlestar
    galactica

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 40
    Vampires now sparkle in sunlight.

I think Near Dark did a good job of mixing romance with monster \-like behavior. Bill Paxton was very menacing in that film with his spurs. Lance Henricksen drinking blood out of a High Life bottle? Classic.

The Idiot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-20-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Lance Henriksen is cool enough to make most things good IMO. Near Dark was a nice mix, it was. Not very scary, but monster behavior and love for sure.

Last edited by Metapher; 02-01-2009 at 12:05 PM.

I paid $20 for what?
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2010

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow Luris Blear On Twitter Add Luris Blear on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID arcanasphere
    John Carpenter's Vampires was a breath of fresh air during the worst of the Romance Novel Vampire era. At least for me. It may not have been the scariest movie, but it mostly did away with the Fanged Romeo element.

Otherwise, I agree. No more Prince lookalikes who sparkle their way into womens' panties. They don't need to look like Nosferatu, but they also don't need to act like oversexed 14 year olds.

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 75
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID UzumakiW Steam ID UzumakiW
    Some girl at my school actually said she wanted to marry a vampire (note this girl was not in the goth scene). Made my head hurt. Made me wonder how people came up with the idea that blood sucking vampires should be romantic figures.

"We all go a little mad sometimes"

The Idiot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-20-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I hope she does marry a vampire and it turns out to be the real evil and brutal kind.

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 75
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID UzumakiW Steam ID UzumakiW
    Like a vampire is supposed to be like.

"We all go a little mad sometimes"

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by cmurdur View Post
    Vampires stopped being monsters when you could hug and kiss them.
    Pretty much.

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    I loved 30 days of night. Mainly for 1 reason. The vampires were evil sadistic blood thirsty monsters. I loved that. I'm so tired of people thinking "hey anne rices vampire chronicles are popular, lets make those vampires from now on." I miss evil vampire monsters. The Nosferatu types. Give me that any day over the romance novel "their fangs make it horror" vampires. The "vampires are people to" thing is getting really really old.

Thats why I think Jim Butcher is so smart with his Dresden File books. He has all the vampires. The lovey dovey Anne Rice ones AND the evil throat rippers. he covers all the bases.

Last edited by Chief Falling Rock; 02-01-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    02-08-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Falling Rock View Post
    I loved 30 days of night. Mainly for 1 reason. The vampires were evil sadistic blood thirsty monsters. I loved that. I'm so tired of people thinking "hey anne rices vampire chronicles are popular, lets make those vampires from now on." I miss evil vampire monsters. The Nosferatu types. Give me that any day over the romance novel "their fangs make it horror" vampires. The "vampires are people to" thing is getting really really old.

Thats why I think Jim Butcher is so smart with his Dresden File books. He has all the vampires. The lovey dovey Anne Rice ones AND the evil throat rippers. he covers all the bases.

Can not agree any fucken more. Try telling people all the time. Its like they just look at ya, like nothing processed in their head. I want demonic vampire's.nothing really but the thirst...dont care about their love life...although "Let the right one in" got it right for me. Just make them monsters. Cant even really stand at ALL going to the mall and seeing that goth group who thinks because they put some fake fangs in, how dumb, that their vampire's. Makes you wanan vomit in your mouth.....just a little.

The Idiot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-20-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Glad to see so many agree with me here.

Nice about the Dresden File book. I'm not a reader, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are movies of it in the future, and I can just pray that they remember the throat rippers then too.

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10
    werewolf fan, vampires aren't the hit..

Last edited by steelba; 02-01-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

The Idiot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-20-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I'm also a werewolf fan. I take werewolves over vampires any day, but I do enjoy vampires when done right. They have to do it pretty damn perfect for me to really enjoy them though, while a werewolf movie can be awesome even if it's far from perfect.

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    pretty much agreed. The Vampire tale in Waxwork has to be one of my favs..

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    I've spoken about this a couple times before but in simple terms.

It's easier these days to sell a vampire movie when you throw a romance element in it rather than just simply make them bad ass monsters again. It's all about appealing to the masses and for the studios, it's easier to pass vampire movies off with a romance/hot shiny look to it than it is making them monsters plain and simple. I would not expect that element to change any time soon as long as it means more cash for the studios.

As others mentioned though. Their have been good and bad flicks along the way.

I'll take zombies over vamps these days. Their not as tampered with compared to vampires.

Outside of ROTLD 3 off the top of my head I can't think of many films where the studios try to pass off zombies as something romantic and with ROTLD 3 it was not a foregone deal either because one was human and one was a zombie struggling to stay human.

Even with that said, I don't mind ROTLD 3 because it was something different in regards to that series.

Vampires as monsters is something I'd like to see come back in vogue. Still right now the money lays elsewhere when you can blend romance or action and see the results in the studios minds where it matters most.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast