Threads
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Evil Dead Exclusive

http://movies.ign.com/articles/951/951876p1.html

Bruce Campbell talks about the remake, the sequel and the musical.
    by Chris Tilly, IGN UK
    UK, February 6, 2009 - IGN conducted an exclusive one-to-one with Bruce Campbell to discuss his forthcoming comedy-horror My Name is Bruce (more on that in a couple of weeks). While there however, we took the opportunity to quiz him on all things Evil Dead, and rather than giving us a withering look and refusing to talk about the subject yet again, he instead spilled the beans. All of them.

Bruce on the success of the Evil Dead movies...

"This year it's 30 years old - we shot it in November of 1979. I think it's still around because the movies hit a chord with anyone who is irreverent. Anybody who is a little outside the box. Because the movies are all a little twisted, in different ways. Evil Dead 1 is its own thing, Evil Dead 2 is weird, Army of Darkness is its own beast. But I think it's really for the college kids who were out of the house for the first time and wanted to go get drunk and watch a movie and play drinking games and do whatever they want to do.

Bruce as Ash.
    "The character of Ash is not your typical hero. And if you think of it in terms of horror series', Ash is the only good guy. Jason's a bad guy, Freddy's a bad guy - who gives a s**t about them? I don't - they're bad guys - f**k 'em. He's an idiot, but I think people can relate to him because he has no skills. He's not CIA, he's not FBI, he's not a Navy Seal - he's just a jerk. He could be your neighbour. He's the idiot next door who's playing the music too loud."

Bruce on Ash vs Freddy vs Jason....

"We actually had that five minute conversation with New Line cinema. And it went kind of like this:

'Hey, how about Ash vs. Jason vs. Freddy?'

We went 'Great idea - Ash can kill them both, right?'

And they went 'Well, actually you can't kill either one of them.'

And it was 'click'. That's how long the phone call went for. Because why on earth would you dilute a franchise with two other franchises? It made no business sense, because you're splitting that pie way too many ways. If it's New Line cinema, Freddy's their baby - you know it's going to get special treatment. And why else would Ash be in it unless he could kill both of those jerks? "

Bruce on Evil Dead: The Musical...

"I laughed my ass off. My favourite number was "What the f**k was that?" It's a tough thing to take all three movies and then cook 'em down. There were certain rights issues about the Ash character, because the movies were all made by different companies. So it was a very complicated thing to make that all happen. But I thought the tone was great, and the stage works were really good. They have blood flying 20 feet. The first three rows are the splatter zone - the cheap seats. People would come dressed heat-to-toe in white.

"When I was there a guy showed up in a white tuxedo, and when he left, it was pink. He walked out and his head was held so high - he was strutting out of that theatre. He was wearing it like a badge of honour, because he got slimed by The Evil Dead. I heard it was going to South Korea - I want to see that version. But it should come to London. Evil Dead was born here - you can trace it back to here."

Bruce on Evil Dead 4...

"Sam and I love those movies and we owe everything to them. They are what got us into this business. But Sam has five kids - he's a family man. And those movies are an absolute physical pain in the ass to make. So whenever we see each other, it's not like 'Man, we've got to make another one of those movies.' And I'm under a five-year contract for a TV show in the States [Burn Notice] which is doing well and it ain't going to get cancelled in the foreseeable future. So I have a day job that I can't just walk away from.

"I wouldn't make it if Sam didn't make it. I wouldn't do it if Sam didn't direct it - that would be ridiculous. But here's the real bottom line. We'd work for two years making that movie, working our asses off, then people would watch it and go 'It's OK, but not as good as Army of Darkness.' I know it, I just know it. Because look at Indiana Jones 4 - that movie was forced down people's throats. That was not brought back by popular demand. That was a couple of high-powered players going 'Let's try that again.' I took a poll because I was in 22 States with this movie [My Name is Bruce], and the Evil Dead 4 question always comes up. And I say 'One, two, three - raise your hands if you wanted Indiana Jones 4' and two hands would go up in a 300 seat theatre. That's your answer right there.

"But there wasn't supposed to be an Evil Dead II. Ash is dead at the end of the first one - completely dead. But our second movie Crimewave bombed, so we went 'Aw crap, we'd better make another Evil Dead movie.' So that's why it was created. And because we didn't have the rights to each subsequent movie - because they were made by different companies - we had to fake these re-caps and use different actors, and it just confused people. I don't think it was ever organically meant to be made into three movies anyway. So a fourth one would just be more confused and ridiculous. It's a little too muddled I think."

Bruce on The Evil Dead remake...

"The remake? Whatever. I'd be most interested if they went back with a 16mm camera and used no actors you've ever heard of. Because that's what The Evil Dead was - five kids in a cabin in rural Tennessee in 1979. So if that approach is taken, it might be alright. They can use some modern-day digital technology instead of cheesy garden hoses pumping blood. But you're bound to disappoint, and that's why I think we hesitate the most. The way to ruin the other three movies is to make a really bad part four, one that just sucked."

My Name is Bruce is released in the UK on February 13, while Evil Dead 4 is unlikely to get made anytime soon.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" -Michael Corleone

Rotting Zealot
    MidnightMovieGuy

Status
    Last Online
    06-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Busy
    Follow BooBerry On Twitter Add BooBerry on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Wasn't this just posted?

::Runs to check::

EDIT: It was indeed.

Last edited by BooBerry; 02-06-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Last Flick Seen: WolfCop - 5/10 The Quiet Ones - 2/10 Starry Eyes - 6/10
    Midnight Movie Gay - http://midnightmoviegay.wordpress.com
    Instagram: MidnightMovieGay

The Idiot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-20-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Great words from a great man. I especially like what he says about ED4 and remake. Bruce is always interesting to listen to.

Also, I still can't believe Crimewave flopped, that movie is fucking brilliant.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-13-2010

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by BooBerry View Post
    Wasn't this just posted?

::Runs to check::

EDIT: It was indeed.
    Really?? I couldnt find it anywhere. My bad.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    I posted what he said about Evil Dead IV, but not the whole article. It's aight if stuff I post in genre news gets reposted elseware since Latest Genre News is supposed to be treated as a part of the regular site and not just another forum.

Rotting Zealot
    MidnightMovieGuy

Status
    Last Online
    06-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Busy
    Follow BooBerry On Twitter Add BooBerry on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Well resolved.

Last Flick Seen: WolfCop - 5/10 The Quiet Ones - 2/10 Starry Eyes - 6/10
    Midnight Movie Gay - http://midnightmoviegay.wordpress.com
    Instagram: MidnightMovieGay

Rotting Zealot
    bears, beets, battlestar
    galactica

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 40
    I'm willing to accept My Name is Bruce as a substitute for another ED movie.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-13-2010

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    I posted what he said about Evil Dead IV, but not the whole article. It's aight if stuff I post in genre news gets reposted elseware since Latest Genre News is supposed to be treated as a part of the regular site and not just another forum.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up