Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie

Comp running slow? Click here to fix that

I noticed a lot of people in chat or threads complaining about how their PC's are running slow when browsing, starting up or shutting down. Well, I thought I'd make a thread that lists a bunch of programs to download that will hopefully remedy that.

I don't claim to be a computer expert, but over the years I've learned a thing or two about keeping my PC clean and running smoothly. These are all programs that I use currently and will vouch for each one of them. Keep in mind that the following statements below are simple suggestions and should be treated as such.

These are FREE programs I use that I'd recommend the average person to consider using as well: (copy pasted from a previous thread)
    Get avast: (Antivirus)
    http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Run a scan.

Get SUPERAntiSpyware: (Spyware Remover)
    http://www.superantispyware.com/down...ntiSpyware.exe

OR

Spybot - Search & Destroy: (Spyware Remover)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    (I personally use both)

Run a scan.

Get Online Armor (Firewall)
    http://download.cnet.com/Online-Armo...-10426782.html

OR

PC Tools Firewall Plus (Firewall)
    http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Leave it on always -- turn off Windows Firewall or any other firewall if using this, as they will conflict.

Get CCleaner: (Cleaning Tool)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Run a clean.
    Have some $$ to spend?

I'd recommend investing in TuneUp Utilities -- this is a nice little program that will pretty much tweak, clean, and fix your computer in any way possible. With this and CCleaner, your computer will be in the best working condition possible (after all the appropriate scans and cleans).

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/
    http://www.download.com/TuneUp-Utili...-10206416.html (Read the reviews)

Couple other things to consider:

Performance Options-- depending on what Windows you have, if you know how to get to the Control Panel there should be a System Performance Option, which will speed up your computer by decreasing what's loaded on Windows.

For Windows XP you can find it in Control Panel. Look for System (System Properties) then go to the Advanced tab. Once in there look for Performance, then click the Settings button. Dot the 'Adjust for best performance' option then click Apply/OK. It will take a few seconds, but your windows will revert back to the original classic style, but I GUARANTEE that you will notice a great performance increase for your comp from doing this.

Defragging -- by going to your System Tools under Accessories in your Start menu, you'll find Disk Defragmenter. RUN IT. It will pretty much clear up any issues you may have with your hard drive that would cause programs to run slow. (A similar option is available in TuneUp).

Dusting -- after a while dust builds up inside your computer (especially with the fans) and can cause parts to overheat. What does overheating mean? Your computer has to compensate by running at a slower speed. If it ran at normal speed it would heat up too much and possible fry something.

Consider opening up your computer (when it's off, of course) and taking care of all that dust in there. A can of compressed air will do the trick just fine. You'd be amazed at how many complaints of slow computers are simply caused by too much dust build up.

MSCONFIG -- I wouldn't recommend this unless you know what you're doing, but it is an option. If you go to Start, Run, and type MSCONFIG a window will pop up. Basically it's settings for Windows that lets you chose whether you want to allow programs to run at start up or at all. TuneUp and CCleaner also have a Startup option as well, which is easier for people who don't know exactly what they're doing.

You can also go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and Services, where you can pick out what programs you want running while your computer is on. Again, I don't advise doing this unless you know exactly what you're doing, because you'll likely end up turning off something you may need. However, this method does offer a "description" box that details what the software is used for, which is very helpful.
    A couple other handy programs you may want: (optional and also free)

TCP Optimizer: (I no longer use this method, so I don't know if it still works - 8/12/12)
    http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

This is a run-once application to increase internet speeds. THIS WORKS. It's a simple program that tweaks your net settings that will enable maximum internet performance from your service provider. I've tested this personally and it does work. I've made a post about it in the past, where users have also claimed to see an increase in their downloads and what-not.

I don't recommend using this if you use TuneUp's Speed Optimizer, as the two will conflict. Instead, just use TCP Optimizer if you choose to go this route. I'd personally recommend this if you want to see an increase in your download speeds. If you use this, run it then click the bottom where it says Optimal Settings, then hit Apply (you will have to restart afterwards).

Firefox:
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Do away with IE or any other browser and get this. Firefox is the safest and one of the fastest and most customizable browsers available. I've been using it for years and it hasn't let me down. Of course, this is merely a suggestion. As long as you run the appropriate cleans and use the right programs any browser will work just fine.

UPDATE: 11/11/2010
    Firefox has run into a lot of crash issues lately, as well as being a memory hog. Although it still remains to be the safest of the browsers, it's not necessarily the fastest or best any longer (in my opinion).

Google Chrome:
    http://www.google.com/chrome/

Ever since Firefox has been F'n up a lot on me lately, I've been using Google Chrome for my casual browsing. It remains to be THE fastest browser I've used and splits the memory processes up in your computer, so it's not a huge memory hog like Firefox has been. I'd advise checking this browser out if you want speed.

Peer Guardian:
    http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

If you want to feel a bit safer against someone or something that may want to enter you computer, consider getting Peer Guardian. It's basically like another firewall that will block specific IP's from potentially getting inside your comp. This is entirely optional. If you want that added security, get this, otherwise, Online Armor (or any other firewall) should do the trick just fine.

Revo Uninstaller:
    http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninst...-10687648.html

A lot of people don't realize that once you delete something, remnants of the file are sometimes still left behind. It may just be a folder or a registry file, but either way, it's still in your system. Revo basically removes the program normally, but also gives you the option to run a system scan that searches for other pieces of the file that may still remain. It will sniff it out and give you ability to remove it all entirely. This is a nice way to completely remove something. There are other nifty features that you can play with, as far as cleaning your comp goes, which is why I highly recommend this. NOTE: If you're already using CCleaner often then you don't really need this.
    That's all I can think of at the moment. If anyone has any questions or comments about the programs I've mentioned or anything I've said, then feel free to reply. Like I mentioned at the top, I'm no expert or anything, but I've learned a lot from my many mistakes over the years, and try to keep my computer running as smooth as possible (and it does) using the many applications I've noted.

Lastly, I'd like to state that if none of the above work for you, then it's time to get yourself a new computer, because it's amazing that it's even still functional at this point.

:soadeto2:

EDIT: (7/14/14) I've come across some easy-to-use articles that also help users speed up their comps by tweaking/disabling certain things in their OS and whatnot. Some things in the articles may have already been covered here, but there are other things that haven't been. Most of it is pretty common knowledge for us tech geeks, but it may not be for others. And trust me the things in the articles do work and you WILL notice a performance increase. If you're running VISTA, kill yourself. If you're somehow still running XP. UPGRADE THAT SHIT :2far:

Windows 7:
    http://www.askvg.com/master-tutorial...-7-super-fast/
    http://www.askvg.com/windows-7-servi...set-to-manual/

Windows 8:
    http://www.askvg.com/master-tutorial...-8-super-fast/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Insane Membrane
    crusing.

Status
    Last Online
    02-10-2021

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Follow da Gay On Twitter Add da Gay on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0
    i actually downloaded that avast cause ur recommended it to me and it fried my pc, like it deleted stuff it wasn't suppose to so i dont recommend that lol.

don't worry my pc still had warranty

Wants to be a
    CRIMINAL

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    I liked using Adaware as well...not sure how good it is now

http://www.lavasoft.com/

best way I've found too keep it running smooth is avoid Warez, torrent, random pron, and P2P networking

Also instead of getting a whole new computer as fright recommends...just format your hard drive and reinstall your operating system..I do this every 2 years or so on my computers, it eliminates any junk you have built up you forgot about

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Zombiefied Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    I use Adaware and Avast. And when all else fails use Hi-Jack This!Although that is a last resort because its such a pain in the ass.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Loomis View Post
    i actually downloaded that avast cause ur recommended it to me and it fried my pc, like it deleted stuff it wasn't suppose to so i dont recommend that lol.

don't worry my pc still had warranty
    It's unlikely it was Avast that "fried" your PC. Avast only deletes viruses, it doesn't remove regular files unless the said-files were infected with something.

Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    I liked using Adaware as well...not sure how good it is now

http://www.lavasoft.com/

best way I've found too keep it running smooth is avoid Warez, torrent, random pron, and P2P networking

Also instead of getting a whole new computer as fright recommends...just format your hard drive and reinstall your operating system..I do this every 2 years or so on my computers, it eliminates any junk you have built up you forgot about
    Yes, doing a complete re-install is another way to start fresh with your computer running smoother again, but I'd only recommend that as a last resort, since it's a hassle having to re-install all your programs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutter Kane View Post
    I use Adaware and Avast. And when all else fails use Hi-Jack This!Although that is a last resort because its such a pain in the ass.
    The only reason why I don't recommend Ad-Aware is because of how much computer memory it takes up. Over the years the makers of Ad-Aware have turned it into a process-heavy application for the computer, especially with all the useless other junk that wants to run with it.

I also use Hijack This, but only if I feel that a virus may be starting up with my computer. I don't recommend it to regular people since it will definitely ruin your windows start-up if you remove certain programs. Even Msconfig is safer than Hijack This.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I personally don't like any anti-virus program that requires you to pay for updated definitions (after a while), but that's me

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    I use Norton AntiVirus 2008 with Antispyware (got 145 days left) and couldn't be happier.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

I paid $20 for what?
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2010

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow Luris Blear On Twitter Add Luris Blear on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID arcanasphere
    I mostly use SpyBot with the TeaTimer add-on.

Firefox is a lot safer, but still has issues. I wound up with Virtuamonde infecting my machine through some rogue ads at another site -- on FireFox. I no longer surf at that site without an Ad Blocker plugin installed. (UHM has the good ads. I've bookmarked many a site after following a banner from this forum.)

Spybot has a buried feature which I believe is also one of its most useful: It lets you monitor browser helper objects. You have to screw with the program a little to get this feature, but it helps get rid of browser attacks.

On top of Spybot click "Mode" -> "Advanced mode"

On the left hand area, click the "Tools" section.

Back in the main window, select the Check Box next to "BHOs".

You can delete the bad ones straight from there. Most of these nasties also require you to delete other .dll files and settings from your startup files (see MSCONFIG) as well.

And TeaTimer does a lot to prevent changes to your registry that can cause these infestations, too.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I don't use TeaTimer mostly because I hate having other programs running with my computer if I don't really need them to, so I never bothered with it. It sounds like a useful tool if you really want to browse safely though :thumbup3:

STONER BASHING TIME
    STONER BASHING TIME

Status
    Last Online
    08-21-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Too bad ccleaner didn't seem to fix my shut down problem

"Ya damn lil bashtards with yer rail-guns... I was fuckin people up with my pipebombs on Duke Nukem when you were a shittin yer pampers..." - UHM's Reverend, WarBeast

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

You have too many programs running and one of them is making your computer really slow. Use any of the above steps to help from too many programs running. Also, if you go under Tools in CCleaner you can remove some start-up programs, but make sure you know what they are for before you do anything. :starefreak:

STONER BASHING TIME
    STONER BASHING TIME

Status
    Last Online
    08-21-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Only thing I have running is Firefox, only started doing this like 2 weeks ago.

"Ya damn lil bashtards with yer rail-guns... I was fuckin people up with my pipebombs on Duke Nukem when you were a shittin yer pampers..." - UHM's Reverend, WarBeast

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Shreds_of_Flesh View Post
    Only thing I have running is Firefox
    :lol2:

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL

Go to Processes

That's everything you're running :starefreak:

STONER BASHING TIME
    STONER BASHING TIME

Status
    Last Online
    08-21-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    SHIT! I knew it, but really, that's not my problem!

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Well then you'll never fix it, because that IS your problem. :straightface2:

STONER BASHING TIME
    STONER BASHING TIME

Status
    Last Online
    08-21-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up