My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Today I had a guy call me saying his internet wasn't working. Went over there and tried to see what the problem was. I hate doing this for already built computers because sometimes if the port is bad, it's better that they just buy a whole new PC (if it's old). So, I went there, clicked on IE which was what they were using and sure enough no internet. I click on Google Chrome and voila, works fine.

Took me 30 seconds to fix this problem and I was already charging $30 so I was like ah fuck it. Installed CCleaner. Found out that they were using Avast! and McAfee lol. I deleted both, installed AVG, updated Java and was out of there. Got a 5 dollar tip for only 30 seconds of actual thinking. I love doing this so much. I gotta start charging by the hour or else I'd defrag it too

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 107
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    Today I had a guy call me saying his internet wasn't working. Went over there and tried to see what the problem was. I hate doing this for already built computers because sometimes if the port is bad, it's better that they just buy a whole new PC (if it's old). So, I went there, clicked on IE which was what they were using and sure enough no internet. I click on Google Chrome and voila, works fine.

Took me 30 seconds to fix this problem and I was already charging $30 so I was like ah fuck it. Installed CCleaner. Found out that they were using Avast! and McAfee lol. I deleted both, installed AVG, updated Java and was out of there. Got a 5 dollar tip for only 30 seconds of actual thinking. I love doing this so much. I gotta start charging by the hour or else I'd defrag it too
    Good work D
    I know what you mean. I never did any of it for money, but I did have a guy demand I take some cash for fixing the power port on his laptop one time. I had mostly just worked on things for my own personal knowledge - basically just to see if I could solve the problem(s) for future reference on other projects. Don't really do it very much these days, as it can often become quite time consuming. I'll still do it for family members though, and the inner circle of Soloites.

There's definitely some cash to be made doing this stuff, but i've found over the years that a person can find the problem/solution to about 90% of their PC issues by thoroughly searching Google. Of course it helps to having a working knowledge base to start with, or you might as well be searching with smoke signals.

Last edited by Solo; 11-23-2014 at 11:10 AM.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I get a lot of side business doing this stuff. I do it for free if it's for my close friends. My older customers I usually just charge a flat rate of 20 bucks because I'm never usually there long and they let me do my thing and leave. For new customers though, I have been charging a flat fee of $30. I have antivirus, registry cleaning software and google chrome installed on a flash drive, so I just pop it in, install them and sit there and wait for updates and such. I usually update Windows and clean out any useless junk through CCleaner as well.

I honestly love doing it. Like I said, yesterday I made 35 dollars for only 30 seconds of thinking. Other days, it's a little longer. One of my buddies was complaining of no internet, but NOTHING was working. Found out he had one piece of adware that was limiting his internet. Once I deleted the file, he was all good. Majority of the time I get people who say the computer is slow. If I ever do charge by the hour, I know some tips to make it go a bit longer, like defragging the drive when there are files in the recycle bin and such. Call me shitty, but fuck it..I am in school and working part time. I need all the money I can get. I always do a great job though and write out a list for the people to show them how to use CCleaner and the antivirus. They never upkeep on it though which is fine because they keep paying me.

All in all, it's a great gig, but damn I'm lazy. I work 5 days a week at 6 hours a day and three days of those I have school AND working out after. So, that means I schedule them on weekends and it's sometimes such a bummer to waste 1-4 hours fixing someone's shit. Especially if they are breathing down my neck the entire time. That's why I love doing Laptops, I often just pick 'em up and work on them at my house.

My friends keep telling me to make business cards and if I start doing this seriously, and pursuing further business, make a waiver sheet. I have had a few people complain of problems after I left. A week later I come back and I find out that they are playing Facebook games and clicking on random buttons promising them "free credits" or what have you. It's annoying that I go back over there for free, so the waiver will come in handy. I'll put in there that I showed them what I did and how to use the software and that the computer was working fine when I left. Make two copies, one for them and one for me, and leave knowing I did my part.

It does make me feel really good fixing someone's PC, even if it's small stuff like making it speed up a bit. I want to see where this takes me. My friends told me to name my business Mikero-Tech (because Mike is my name...........). hahaha but who knows. Once I'm done with school, my prices will go up since I'll have my certs, but not higher than Geek Squad and other little computer companies around here.

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    18 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    What do you think of this;

New solid state hard drive 1 tarabyte {I think} 60 dollars
    Getting the key code from windows 10 to transfer all my stuff from old hard drive to new {pictures and movies inc}
    Labor; $160.00

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Youre not getting a 1TB SSD for 60 bucks unless its a friend who is giving you a hell of a deal.... and by hell of a deal i mean a 400 dollar hit on his end. Its been a couple weeks since ive priced them, but im pretty sure theyre just now getting under and around 500 bucks each. At least the 1TB one's are. 128 you can get for like 39. 250, 80.
    And you shouldnt need a key, there's an auto transfer for windows. The software comes with the drivers for SSDs.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 10-12-2015 at 06:41 PM.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Yeah that price is a little sketchy

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    A little? That would be like me getting a Titan black for 100 bucks (nearly 1000 dollar video card)

There's no way its SSD.
    I just checked newegg and the cheapest 1TB are 300 with the mid. grade being 450-500. But the cheaper HHDs are 70 bucks..... they do have like 8 to 16 gigs of flash memory, you can install an OS on that, but nothing more.

http://www.newegg.com/SSDs/Category/ID-119

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 10-12-2015 at 07:02 PM.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Maybe it's one of those unnecessary Hybrid drives

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    18 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    Quote Originally Posted by bravenewworld1 View Post
    A little? That would be like me getting a Titan black for 100 bucks (nearly 1000 dollar video card)

There's no way its SSD.
    I just checked newegg and the cheapest 1TB are 300 with the mid. grade being 450-500. But the cheaper HHDs are 70 bucks..... they do have like 8 to 16 gigs of flash memory, you can install an OS on that, but nothing more.

http://www.newegg.com/SSDs/Category/ID-119
    Yeah, you're right, we were discussing solid state and I just assumed, he looked at me like I was crazy..when I asked if it was SSD.
    Gonna get it fixed I suppose.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenheart View Post
    Yeah, you're right, we were discussing solid state and I just assumed, he looked at me like I was crazy..when I asked if it was SSD.
    Gonna get it fixed I suppose.
    You know..... i dont know you too well, but you seem to have enough common sense to do this yourself for a fraction of the cost and in like 20 minutes.
    Its very simple, almost impossible to do wrong imo.

All you even need is a screwdriver.
    You screw the HD in with four screws, two if you're lazy, the HD can only go one place, pop in the two sata cables... the only two cables that can go in it and in only one way.
    Then you turn it on, put the CD in and go from there... its all prompted from there. Takes about 20 minutes to install windows or do a transfer.

installing-hard-drive-fig-1-1.jpg

+

DIY-sataHD10.jpg

+

windows_7_dvd_case_by_david28227.jpg

=

RM253-Lokked-In-A-Good-Time-Was-Had-By-All.jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by El Ahrairah; 10-14-2015 at 05:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678