Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 80
    The Descent a 10/10 I remember when I first saw this movie, I liked it. Then I bought it and after viewin' it a few more times, I'm slowly not likin' it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Non Horror Draft Winners
    #1 Get Some
    #2 Steelba
    #3 Steelba
    #4 strtfghtr

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-30-2010

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sad
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Right on, The Signal is really good

Undead n Luvin It
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-30-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmanes View Post
    Night of the Demons (1988): Night of the Demons is one of the films that completely embodies 80s horror. From the cheesy jokes and dialogue to the frantic, fast-paced electronic score, the film screams big hair bands and legwarmers. Kevin Tenney implores terrifying make-up, excellent lighting and set design, and a combination of high and low angles along with both fast and slow motion to create a heightened level of fear and tension throughout the entire second half of the film. The plot is derivative of many haunted house films from the past, but the film differentiates itself by giving the characters a young, modern appeal and making the monsters more menacing than ever before. What the film lacks in acting and originality, it more than makes up for in fun and entertainment, making this a must-see 80s flick for all horror fans! 8/10.

The Descent (2005): Neil Marshall comes through for English horror again with the best genre film of 2005! A group of friends enter an uncharted cave, but after a collapse, they are forced to struggle through the serpentine passageways to find daylight. Too bad they arent alone.. The craftsmanship implored in the careful writing and making of this film is unmatched in recent horror, and Marshall is able to make the first half of the film (completely devoid of monsters) even more terrifying than the climax. Gut-wrenching scenes of claustrophobic cave crawling, the unseen in the dark, and protruding bones are just a few of the universal fears that are tapped into, creating an immediate emotional bond between the characters and the audience. The women may not be given complete backstories, but what works is that they are portrayed as real people. In what situation in real life are we given flashbacks or do we commonly reveal our personal histories in our daily dialogue? Rather, Marshall has written distinct cadences and personalities that distinguish a group of individuals rather than a group of talking heads.

Then, there are the monsters. By the time the cave dwellers enter the film, it is already established as a terrifying and successful feature, but the viscious Gollum-like monsters in the film heighten the tension and fear to a whole nother level. Though I typically despise surprise scares, Marshall has perfectly timed reveals for the creatures to scare the piss out of the audience. Though humanoid, they have regressed into bat like creatures hunting by sound, which makes for creepy visuals and allows the characters a plausible advantage in attempting to fight them off and escape. As the title implies, the film is not just a descent into the cave, as a surface level reading might suggest, but also a descent into madness for several of the characters, pushed to the brink of sanity at the thought of being trapped and having to fight for their lives against the impending foes. Our lead heroine, Sarah, takes control and makes a fighting effort, leading to tons of monster bloodshed which are handled with fantastic FX and gore.

I can sing the praises of The Descent all day, Marshall has succeeded on so many levels and proven himself as a modern master of horror. Must-see, must-own for any rightful horror fan! 10/10.

Night of the Demons 2 (1994):
    Despite what I remember, this was actually an entertaining and decent sequel, although the plot is a complete retread of the original. Angela's sister is tricked into going to Hull House with a new batch of teens for a Halloween party, only to have the demons reawakened for more ghoulish fun! The make-up FX are easily on par with the original, making for more terrifying scenes with just the ugliest demons you have ever seen. Of particular note is the snake demon Angela transforms into in the closing scene, which is absolutely amazing and rivals the Freddy snake in Nightmare 3. The plot is thin, acting and dialogue are bland, but the film is very fun and moves along at a quick pace. Fans of the original will not be disappointed, check it out! 7/10.

Fright Night (1985): There is no denying that Fright Night is an all-time classic. The combined acting efforts of Roddy McDowell, William Ragsdale, Chris Sarandon, and the always fun Stephen Geoffreys make for a clever, fun, hilarious, but equally chilling film. A teen discovers his neighbor is a vampire, and must convince his friends and the local horror host to help him destroy the fiend. Each of the players find their own voice and are convincing in the respective roles, creating memorable characters like Geoffreys Evil Ed and Sarandon's vampire Jerry. The film also implores fantastic make-up FX, with a little werewolf action and some of the creepiest vampire designs on film. It also effectively brings the horror home and leads the audience to believe that the events could occur in any small town. For a smart Horror / Comedy, Fright Night is a step above the rest and comes highly recommended! 9/10.

:bigthumbup:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910