Last Online
    02-18-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Watchmen Ending: Comic vs. Movie [SPOILERS ABOUND]

All right, for those UHMers who've both read the original miniseries and now seen the film, what are the thoughts on the decision to
    Spoiler...
    have Ozymandias' plot center on making Dr. Manhattan the agent of destruction, as opposed to the bio-engineered psychic monster that dies upon being teleported to NYC?

Though I admit it takes tremendous liberties with the source material, I think that, in terms of making a film that A.) works on the screen and B). has appeal beyond hardcore fans, the decision to
    Spoiler...
    omit a gigantic, be-tentacled Lovecraftian beast was a good one.

For a film audience, I think leaving things as they were would've resulted in a tremendous "WTF?" moment that very well would've been met with a serious amount of "I waited three hours for THAT?" ridicule.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Patriot, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to the interests of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerers. ---Ambrose Bierce

Average Joe
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    03-31-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Pretty much agree with you. I think it was a needed change and the best part is that it works. I would argue that, wait for it............it's better than the comic's.

Last edited by Doc Awesome; 03-08-2009 at 10:08 PM.

STONER BASHING TIME
    STONER BASHING TIME

Status
    Last Online
    08-21-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Didnt bother me much. but would have been cool to see that bad boy

"Ya damn lil bashtards with yer rail-guns... I was fuckin people up with my pipebombs on Duke Nukem when you were a shittin yer pampers..." - UHM's Reverend, WarBeast

UHM's Reverend
    I take what I don't need... I
    crush... You BLEED...

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Follow WarBeast On Twitter Add WarBeast on Facebook
    Visit WarBeast's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 2
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Nope. PSN ID Dada Steam ID Don't want to share it. Wii Code Zilch
    As I stated in another thread, the change that was made was an intelligent one. Not only do I believe it was necessary, but also that the changes made sense. When Ozy's plot was revealed, it felt right. I didn't feel like they were fucking things up, in the way that some comicbook adaptations do.

When the scheme was revealed, I didn't feel a surge of righteous indignation and want to start hurling milk-duds at the screen in a state of mindless geek-rage. I just thought to myself, "Oh, well that's a bit different from the book, but I understand why they went that route... and it works just fine."

I don't think that the end that was in the book could have been pulled off properly on the big screen. They would have had to have had the whole run up to it througout the movie. It would've been distracting and for those not in the know, it would have been incredibly confusing.

As it stands, they came up with a plot that fit well with the rest of the movie, used elements already established in the movie and brought it all together into a sensible conclusion... well done, in my opinion.

Plucking Eyes, Sockets Red, Swarming Flies, EAT THE DEAD!!!!!! - Me

"The blackest night falls from the skies,
    The darkness grows, as all light dies,
    We crave your hearts and your demise,
    By my black hand— the dead shall rise!"

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    I agree the ending was fine. I do think though that Dr. Manhatten working for the U.S. made the ending feel like Americas fault as opposed to a fake alien. But then again I always felt like Dr. Manhatten was a douche, and if they want to blame it on him then go RIGHT AHEAD. Althought I always thought the ending of the book was dumb. Not the purpose of the ending or what it caused, but the fact it was a giant alien squid. That was retarded. Especially in a world with no superhuman heroes other than Manhatten.

And I also felt like the ending to the movie gave Dr. Manhatten more of a place in the story. hardcore geeks love Manhatten. But I felt like he didn't belong in a story full of superheroes that didn't have any super powers. He felt very out of place to me. The ending to the movie gave him more of a purpose for being in the story.

Last edited by Chief Falling Rock; 03-09-2009 at 05:49 AM.

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    With USA's golden boy seemingly attacking Earth, wouldn't everybody be really pissed off at the States? The squid ending is better, but I can understand that it would have exploded their budget and probably caused Doc to just be Crudup wearing body paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Falling Rock View Post
    And I also felt like the ending to the movie gave Dr. Manhatten more of a place in the story. hardcore geeks love Manhatten. But I felt like he didn't belong in a story full of superheroes that didn't have any super powers. He felt very out of place to me. The ending to the movie gave him more of a purpose for being in the story.
    Well, him being an all powerful god on Earth causes him to stop caring about the world. He's supposed to be alienated. He's all alone, with nobody seeing the world the way he does or caring about subatomic particles or thermodynamic mircales. With out Doc, the world would be so different. No electric cars, no new technology, no fabric for Rorschach's mask, Vietnam War ends differently, Nixon is probably not the president anymore, etc.

Last edited by cmurdur; 03-09-2009 at 12:14 PM.

anti-social worker
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by cmurdur View Post
    With USA's golden boy seemingly attacking Earth, wouldn't everybody be really pissed off at the States?
    Probably not after he blew up NYC, LA, Washington, and whichever other US cities you saw in that pan across Ozymandias' whole armageddon countdown control panel...

Patriot, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to the interests of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerers. ---Ambrose Bierce

UHM's Battle Royale Survivor
    This user is too awesome to
    have a status

Status
    Last Online
    05-18-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag UHMs Misfit
    so in the book does ozy duder still turn bad regardless of the squid thingy?

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Probably not after he blew up NYC, LA, Washington, and whichever other US cities you saw in that pan across Ozymandias' whole armageddon countdown control panel...
    But is a communist leader with his major city destroyed going to care? We don't know. The alien solves that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    so in the book does ozy duder still turn bad regardless of the squid thingy?
    Bad? He saved the world. If you call him bad, you might as well call Harry Truman a villain because he basically did the same thing.

+ Reply to Thread