My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 75
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID UzumakiW Steam ID UzumakiW

Shrill Cries of Summer (aka Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Live Action)

'Shrill Cries of Summer' is the live action movie of the anime 'Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.' I've been looking for this movie for a long time now, and last night, my friend told me he apparently found the download link for it about a month back (still surprised I wasn't able to find it, probably because I didn't realize they had used a different name for the movie), and he sent it to me. I downloaded it immediately, and watched it today.

The basic concept of the anime and movie comes down to this:

A teenage boy moves to a small town called Hinamizawa with his family. He makes friends with 4 girls at his school. They show him around the town, play games together, etc. He has a lot of fun in this town for a while. He then meets a photographer who tells him about a mutilation murder that took place in this town. When the boy asked his friends about this incident, they denied it happening or avoided the question.

On the night of the Watanagashi Festival (Cotton drifting Festival), he is told by the photographer and another women about the dark history of this festival. Every year, on the night of the festival, someone is always found dead and another person goes missing. People say it is due to the curse of their God they call Oyashiro-sama to people who have angered him.

As time goes on, he learns more about the curse and realizes that his friends may be hiding things from him.
    ---------------------------------------------

Now, I loved the anime, so I was very eager to watch the live action movie to it, and from the trailers, I was expecting a lot from the movie, especially since it is based on the first arc (my favorite one).

And to tell you the truth, I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I thought they did a great job keeping together some of the great scenes from the first arc. The scenery and town looked great.

It did have its flaws to it, though. Some of the acting could have been better, but it didn't destroy the movie, so that was okay. They changed a few things in it that I would have preferred they didn't, but they added in pretty much all of the good scenes, so that was good. They over did it at times with the fog machine, though, maybe they did that on purpose, I don't know. And, the last one I can think of was that, in the movie, the actresses are Rika and Satoko look older than what their age in the anime was supposed to be, but they didn't have large rolls in here, anyway.

Movie didn't have any scary scenes, of course, but it did have some good 'weird/creepy' moments to it.

There will be a sequel to this movie released in theaters in Japan in May, so hopefully, I'll be able to get my hands on that one too eventually.

Overall, I was pretty satisfied with this movie. Definitely a good watch for fans of the series. I think I'd give it an 8/10.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"We all go a little mad sometimes"

UHM's #1 Killer
    Half of life is fucking up,
    the other half is dealing with
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0
    Loved the anime.. which site did you download the movie at?

"(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshiped.
    Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man." Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle (1962)

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

My friend gave me some MegaUpload links for it.

You can actually stream it here, though

http://www.asian-horror-movies.com/scos.php

UHM's #1 Killer
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Downloaded it and watched it same day you posted this thread.. thanks for the heads up :thumbup3:

I agree with your review.. wish they would of done the laughs better.. the freakiest bit in the anime. That and the mood changes.

"(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshiped.
    Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man." Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle (1962)

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Agreed, I wish they would have done that better. One of the biggest disappointments of the movie for me was

Spoiler...
    They scene when Rena yelled really loud at Keichi. I was hoping it was going to be as creepy and loud as in the anime, but they way they did it was terrible.

The mood changes weren't too bad. I wish those would have been better, however

Spoiler...
    I thought the mood change with Mion in the classroom was pretty good. That one was actually a bit creepy, but Rena's, sadly, weren't as creepy as I would hope.

UHM's #1 Killer
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Yep, Mions was quite good.. I did like Rena at the door..

Citizen Erased
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-14-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Please don't download this movie.
    I can't really say anything right now but...

(.__.)
    In time you will know why it makes me sad.

For one moment, I wish you would hold your stage with no feeling at all...
    -Matthew Bellamy

+ Reply to Thread