Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie

Laugier talks DETAILS, DOGS & HELLRAISER

Writer/director Pascal Laugier (Martyrs) spoke to Fango recently on various projects he's working on at the moment, brushing over the status for Details, Dogs and the Hellraiser remake.

Details

"That’s a project with Paramount Vantage based on a novella by the famous, hip London-based writer China Mieville. The story, inspired by H.P. Lovecraft’s writings, is about a boy looking after a weird old woman who discovers strange forces hidden in the creased fabric of our world. Mieville is a smart guy and a very dark horror writer. I’ve been adapting the story into a new script for six weeks now, and it’s a very complicated assignment. It’s more a piece of abstract literature you feel in your gut, and straightening it out into a more literal screenplay is hard."

Dogs

"That’s an already written screenplay developed by producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura [whose credits include CONSTANTINE and 1408]. Think CUJO times 40. The main character of a war veteran under attack by a pack of dogs is very cool, and it’s brilliantly written. I loved the script and found it a thrilling page-turner. Right now I’m waiting for the finances to come together, and am hoping for good news in the next week or so."

Hellraiser

"I’m now working on it with a co-writer I cannot name. We do not want to remake the original movie, as that would be a pointless exercise, and I wouldn’t feel comfortable messing with what is essentially a solid horror/fantasy. So we’re trying to respect Clive Barker’s original material while bringing totally fresh angles to it. Even if some characters are being brought back, like Frank and Julia, it is our intention to place them on new and different thematic levels. It’s taking a while to come together, because all involved want to get it absolutely right. I do have the respect of the Weinsteins, so let’s see where it takes me."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-16-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Ive been hearing a lot of negative rumors surfacing from the Hellraiser development, it sounds like the Weinsteins are limiting Laugier's creative freedom in order to make it more marketable. Guess we'll see..

Cowboy From Hell
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-13-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmanes View Post
    Ive been hearing a lot of negative rumors surfacing from the Hellraiser development, it sounds like the Weinsteins are limiting Laugier's creative freedom in order to make it more marketable. Guess we'll see..
    The Weinsteins are trying to influence a writer for a more marketable product???
    Shocker. I really hope that Barker steps up and flexes his pimp hand on this one.

"Obliterate the screams of the weak
    Who needs a god when you've got Satan
    No god to offer this forgiveness
    No god to punish for these sins
    Tormented for the prize of salvation
    Broken loyalty to life after death"

+ Reply to Thread