Last Online
    05-16-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Building A Cheap But Quality Horror Collection

I thought I would repost one of my earlier blogs for everyone here, just some tips I recommend for building a high quality but inexpensive horror collection:

I am commonly asked how I can spend so much money on movies when people see my collection, but really they have no idea how much painstaking work it takes to build a solid collection on a shoestring budget. The following tips are common tools I use to build a high quality collection without going broke in the process. I built my current collection spending typically $10 a week on DVDs using these rules:

Buy in Bulk: Many online sellers like Half.com offer discounted shipping rates if you purchase more than one item. Sure, $1.00 may not see like much, but if you use the rules below and buy cheap, saving $3.00 or more on shipping can save you the cost of another DVD! DeepDiscount.com and DVDEmpire.com also run FREE shipping on all purchases, which simply cant be beat for buying new.

Avoid Impule Buying: There is no better way to waste your money than by grabbing high-priced retail items without checking around first. If Best Buy is next door to Walmart, spend 2-minutes and see if you can get it cheaper.

Buy Online: Purchasing from retail outlets is the thing of the past. The cost to ship and shelve DVDs is extremely costly to retail outlets since they make little overhead on DVDs. Online retailers like DeepDiscountDVD offer much lower pricing with FREE shipping many times.

Read Reviews or Rent First: Sure, that new Asylum release has pretty cover art and a cool name, but don't be fooled. There is nothing worse than coming home with a turd in sheeps clothing. Spend the time reading reviews, or open a cheap Netflix account and rent before buying to make each purchase worthwhile.

Buy Used: There is a HUGE stigma against buying used, but with good cause. Many online sellers have ruined the used DVD business for others, by misrepresenting the condition of their discs, selling bootlegs, or selling incorrect SKUs as OOP titles. If you take the time to research each seller's feedback, make sure to only purchase from high-feedback sellers, and only purchase conditions of Very Good or higher, you can save a TON off of the cost of new DVDs. Buying used from Blockbuster or other entertainment stores usually provides you with a 30-day guarantee for full return incase any of the discs are damaged, so why not save some money?

Buy Low, Sell High: Always be aware of upcoming releases. You may be sitting on a potential gold mine if a new manufacturer has a planned release for your OOP DVDs. Be ABSOLUTELY sure that the release will not get canceled, put your high-ticket items up on Amazon or eBay while the OOP title is at its peak (before anyone realizes it will be re-released), and then buy the new release and make a profit! Profits = more DVDs.

Search Low to High Prices Online: Most online outlets will have an option to search by genre and search by Low to High pricing. This is an invaluable tool that many people forget about. Amazon lists HUNDREDS of DVDs at $0.01 (plus $2.98 S+H), many of which will sometimes be NEW!! We arent just talking trashed copies of Horror Express, you can get excellent titles like The Fog, Hatchet, Behind the Mask, all at ridiculously prices. Combine that with the Bulk Purchase rule and you can get a quick jumpstart on your DVD collection.

Look for Multiple Releases: Many times that high priced DVD you want may have been released by another company in the past, and can be found much cheaper. Anchor Bay and Blue Underground both released many of the same titles, so never forget to check and see if that copy of Maniac or Mountain of the Cannibal God has been released in the past. Also, be sure to keep your eye on future releases, so that you dont mistakingly buy a high ticket OOP release from someone using the rule above when you can wait a month and get the re-release.

Create Wishlists: This is perhaps the most valuable rule of all. Create wishlists on as many online DVD outlets as possible, and be sure to update them and check them as frequently as possible to see what the current pricing is on all of your prospects. Prices change hourly, and if you are consistent, even the most expensive DVDs will drop in price. For those of you that only buy new, there is an awesome wishlist feature on http://www.dvdaf.com/ that has a built in price compare feature with all of the lowest-priced DVD sites online! Also, always be sure to support your favorite websites' sponsors, they survive off of your patronage.

Be Patient: Unless you know something will be going OOP, be patient with your purchases. Sure, that itch gets hard not to scratch, but if you are thorough, consistent, and patient, your efforts will pay off ten fold when you grab that long-desired title $5.00 less than you would have paid normally.

Thats it, folks. There will always be people who refuse to buy used and rush to Best Buy every Tuesday to grab all of the new releases at full retail value, but for those of you that are like me and have to stretch every dollar, these rules will serve as an excellent resource for building your DVD collection!

Source: http://i-like-horror-movies.blogspot.com/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    :thumbup3:

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    Not a bad set of rules to abide by. I do have a slight problem with the Buy low Sell high concept however. In buy all my movies ( no matter how crappy they turn out to be ) for my own collection with no intenttion to sell ever. There is only one exception I had recently gotten a number of dvds from deepdiscount and 2 titles I had mistakenly ordered duplicates of, so I may put them up for sale at some point, but not right now. Another thing is just because you have a dvd that is OOP doesn't necessarily mean you can sell it for a higher price. In my collection I have quite a few that are OOP, but they can be found just about anywhere. Smart shoppers should always be looking ....just because it's OOP doesn't mean you have to spend a small fortune so you can add it for your collection.

You also forgorgot an important rule....at least to me. Have a set price in mind as to what you want to spend on that particular title and don't deviate too far from it. I'm a cheap bastard and to the best of my recollection I haven't spent over $ 20 for any one title .

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    excellent post dragon some stuff I'd add:

be very weary of shady deals on ebay...if the deal looks too good to be true...it probably is. That OOP version of maniac cop you are getting for $2 is just a bootleg copy and you will be pissed when it arrives. Just because a movie is being sold on ebay doesnt mean it is an actual dvd release.

Keep an eye out for buy one get one or heavily discounted sales. Deep discount is great for these a couple times a year.

Also a nice online used site is:
    http://www.secondspin.com

their site is updating daily with fresh movies

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Hello?
    hi guys

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2016

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Doh
    Add Get Some on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 5
    nice post :bigthumbup:

RIP JJ

Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-IKickAssFortheLord
    2-2011 Darkgod

Non Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-Shreds of Flesh
    2-2011 Woodenheart

TV Character Draft Winners
    1-Mudvayne_Eternal

My little DVD collection- http://getsome.dvdaf.com/owned

Undead n Luvin It
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-30-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    :bigthumbup:

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    14 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    get thread.

Reaching out to cannibals all over
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-08-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up

For underground collecting-

If you are interested in developing a collection of sick-ass underground shit, trading is how I ran with it from '90-2002. Amassed hundreds of titles- all for postage. Oh yeah, I prefer boxed copies, but for a lot of UG shit- it's enough just to have and see it. Of course when I was trading it was all VHS until the last year or so I traded. For anything else, sure, get the box, special editions, uncut versions, whatever you can. But for shit like Guinea Pig series, In A Glass Cage, Laboratory of the Devil- just GET 'um, any way you can. Lets get to tradin', y'all.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-28-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thumbs Up
    pawn shops

one by me has a 7 for 25 deal

Detroit Lions Baltimore Ravens Detroit Pistons Michigan Wolverines Detroit Red Wings Kentucky Wildcats

UHM's #1 Killer
    Half of life is fucking up,
    the other half is dealing with
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Most of those rules are common sense I do anyway.

"(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshiped.
    Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man." Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle (1962)

Gore and Bones
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-10-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    awesome thread.
    I pick up alot of really good dvd's at pawn shops

thanksssss

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-28-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thumbs Up
    pawn shops own

i got the retyrn to sleepaway camp box set for like 20 buxz

Detroit Lions Baltimore Ravens Detroit Pistons Michigan Wolverines Detroit Red Wings Kentucky Wildcats

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-16-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Great additions, I do the same thing with the price limit Necro, I have only spent over $20 (not including box sets) for Alice, Sweet Alice, Tenebre when it was OOP, and Company of Wolves, and even then it was with bonus money I got for working overtime. KING I totally agree that most of the rules should be common sense for us seasoned veterans, but many of the kids have no idea what theyre doing and need some guidance to help them stop wasting money.

UHM's #1 Killer
    Half of life is fucking up,
    the other half is dealing with
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmanes View Post
    KING I totally agree that most of the rules should be common sense for us seasoned veterans, but many of the kids have no idea what theyre doing and need some guidance to help them stop wasting money.
    Fair enough. Forgot to give my kudos on the thread, good job

"(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshiped.
    Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man." Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle (1962)

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-16-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up

Life... 2 inches to the left.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-23-2011

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Agree with King, common sense, but still useful for the collecting newb looking for advice. Cannot stress the price limit point enough. Set a price and stick to it. You'll regret it otherwise.

Nice thread,

Our immortality is found in the words and actions of our children.

You see relatives at holidays, weddings, and funerals, but family is always with you.

Do not steal, rape, or murder. Everything else is fair game.

Facing failure is easier than running from regret.

UHM's Horror DVD Informant
    UHM's Biggest Fuck Up.

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Follow xxsic4slipknotxx On Twitter Add xxsic4slipknotxx on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3
    Great post there Dragonmanes! :thumbup3:

I've done a few of these in the past. I do have a problem with impulse buying, but they're really for those I find good prices for at Best Buy ($9.99 or below).

I think I would add one other tip as well. It's not so much building a cheap collection, but it's in regards making good purchasing choices.

If you feel as though the special features for a particular release are lacking, especially for new releases, avoid purchasing. In some cases, there will be a double-dip release coming within 6 month to a year with more special features (or possibly a Director's/Extended Cut version). If nothing surfaces around that time, then I would go ahead a purchase it. Although, if you're the type of person that doesn't care about special features, then you can just ignore this. It's sorta the same as normal releases, with the only difference being special features.

Last edited by xxsic4slipknotxx; 04-05-2009 at 01:18 PM.

"In Heaven, Everything is Fine" ~ Eraserhead

~ Let The Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in)

My Collection!

Be My Netflix Friend:
    http://www.netflix.com/BeMyFriend/P9vLvHRtq4eIQLWoXbtg

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-28-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thumbs Up
    word to what Sic said

def. stick to a price limit. Ive passed the hellraiser 2 20th SE sooo many times at best buy. I paid 9 buxz for the Hellraiser 20th SE, and part 2 is 15 ill wait till it drops.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-16-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    good call on the double dip, its so hard to fight but there is nothing I despise more than a company withholding features and forcing a double dip.

UHM's Horror DVD Informant
    UHM's Biggest Fuck Up.

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Follow xxsic4slipknotxx On Twitter Add xxsic4slipknotxx on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3
    Thanks guys! It really does help you save some money in the long run and from making hasty decisions. The bad things about it is that it doesn't happen all the time though. Some releases never get re-issued again or they take more time than 6 months to a year; hence the anniversary editions or certain director's cuts (i.e. Troy).

It gets hard to always pin-point, so you might end up double dipping sometimes because of that.

Last edited by xxsic4slipknotxx; 04-05-2009 at 07:47 PM.

"In Heaven, Everything is Fine" ~ Eraserhead

~ Let The Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in)

My Collection!

Be My Netflix Friend:
    http://www.netflix.com/BeMyFriend/P9vLvHRtq4eIQLWoXbtg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast