Gamer IDs

Steam ID arcanasphere

A Perfect Place - 2008

A Perfect Place

Trailer:

Written & Directed by Derrick Scocchera
    Starring:
    Mark Boone Junior (20 Days of Night)
    Bill Moseley (House of 1,000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, Grindhouse)

Synopsis

Two friends accidentally kill the third player in their poker game. They must plan then succeed to dispose of the victim's body.

A Perfect Place is a roughly 25 minute short movie filmed entirely in black and white. There are very few indications to suggest when this movie is taking place. There is also a small, but extremely vivid and offbeat cast of characters.

Bill Mosely plays his part very well. His role comes across more like a slimebag from a 90s alternative-crime film than any of his splatter films, and I honestly liked him better in this short. Mark Boone Jr. gets to enjoy some rare time in the spotlight. His role as a well-meaning but less intelligent character compliments Mosely's greasier if equally dim persona very well.

The overall story is reminiscent of a creative writing class in community college. I apologize for this, but the overall plot is the absolute weak point. The film shines in very stylish cinematography and by properly moving its focus to the details that make the movie. The characterizations are amazing, and the indoor set to match them were beautifully assembled. Even the road scenes are decorated with a vehicle that is as quirky, run down, and bizarre as the people around it. This is a wonderful movie to look at, and the characters are just as fun to get to know.

From a technical point of view, this is the kind of short film that people create to prove their worth. Derrick Scocchera has only a pair of non-fiction, apparently promotional pieces to his name before this film. Mike Patton was asked to score this film, and this is his first venture into this challenge.

Half of the reason to be interested in this film is Patton's presence as the composer. Given the direction he had -- one main theme with many variations -- Patton proved his worth. The music reaches as far back in time as the glory days of Opera, and only modernizes its sound up to what may be the most gruesome surf music ever written. Between those extremes are the meat of the score, which are as wonderful and catchy as any other I've heard.

It's worth noting, then, that the score (all 36 minutes of) and the movie (all 25 minutes) are sold as a 2-disk, package deal. The price is comparable to any other new cd being sold.

My overall thought is that the filmmaker set out to achieve his goal. He surrounded himself with the right kind of talent to make his vision work -- and work well. The story moves appropriately to its circumstances, and kudos would be offered to the editor if one had been credited. The goal would not have been met if there was not so much obvious affection and love for the craft he had ventured into.

At the approximate length of a half-hour television show, this is still a movie to check out if you ever get the chance.

No point-score to give, but still recommended.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Blog - Facebook - Myspace
    Night Shine Islands - Fantasy podcast, Last update: October 8
    I survived Camp Hacknslash

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    Looks pretty interesting. I really like Mark Boone Junior. I'll have to check this out

I paid $20 for what?
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2010

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow Luris Blear On Twitter Add Luris Blear on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID arcanasphere
    You very well might like this movie. I tagged it with Faith No More, seeing as Mike Patton used to sing for them. I seem to recall you being a fan of them.

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up