Last Online
    10-16-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

No one wants to see new stuff.

From watching the posts from Hollywood and beyond, it seems that producers do not want to see anything new from new writers. That's why so many re- makes are being done to old stories and films.

I was told awhile ago, not to attempt to get into screenwritting or anything to to with film making, unless I have a leneage already established. And from all these re-makes it looks like original ideas are no longer wanted.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    MidnightMovieGuy

Status
    Last Online
    06-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Busy
    Follow BooBerry On Twitter Add BooBerry on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Actually, the amount of remakes compared to original ideas is a small margin. In my opinion, as someone who likes screenwriting as well, is to not complain about the things you cannot change and just keep at it if you really like it.

Last Flick Seen: WolfCop - 5/10 The Quiet Ones - 2/10 Starry Eyes - 6/10
    Midnight Movie Gay - http://midnightmoviegay.wordpress.com
    Instagram: MidnightMovieGay

UHM's Rogue Director
    Any man who thinks he can be
    happy and prosperous by
    letting the Government take
    care of him, better take a
    closer look at the American
    Indian.

Status
    Last Online
    02-21-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4
    It is a shame that the concept of marketability is a narrow one in the film industry.

UHM's Strange Jefferson
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-02-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Add Dagon01 on Facebook
    Visit Dagon01's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Don't give up on filmmaking man, Just Write or make a Movie that will wow Everyone. if you have something new and original they will want it. :nod:

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-17-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Add buffyslayedme717 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Actually if I can give you some advice...try making a movie with proven marketability first that might not be the most original thing in the world, but someone will buy. After you build a resume you'll be to take more chances with different kinds of ideas.

NIZ08
    This user has no status.

Dude, just keep writing. I'm a screenwriter also, don't listen to mumbo jumbo like in people telling you not to go into screenwriting. What Buffy said does work a lot: write something that is marketable. And when someone buys it and people dig the writing, then start taking more chances in what you want to write. Or you can just switch it around and just always write something that doesn't seem so repetitive in movies, but either way, you're taking risks on both sides if it is marketable or seems original.

Don't take it as a bad thing in risk taking because that's the fun of writing, you're a daredevil through the use of your fingers :nod:

UHM's Strange Jefferson
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-02-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Add Dagon01 on Facebook
    Visit Dagon01's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    :nod:

Zombiefied Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Do your thing, who cares what some asshole said. Just write because you like to write. Screenwriting is a hobby to me, my job comes first but I could care less if people say this is a bad time for original scripts. I've messed around writing fan scripts for established franchises like Aliens but overall just write whatever seems cool to you. The rest will take care of itself. Of course I say that as someone who has never been published or sold a script so take it with a grain of salt.

The charming monster in us all
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-22-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    i agree with sutter kane

WhiteRaven"I feel no love, no joy, no sorrow, i am, Hollow" -Dracula

The Film Director
    Haiku

Status
    Last Online
    03-20-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Add Mr.Gore Maker on Google+
    Visit Mr.Gore Maker's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag SolvingCargo992
    NOoope. I'm and upcoming film maker and i have alot of original ideas. If that was the point that hollywood doesn't want original, but more remakes instead, thats sad. Even if that means i will have to be underground for a minute. I will get my movies out though.

The Blood Will Start To Fly but not from me..I'll be the one playing artist.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    I'm still editing a horror film with my firend, and I am now planning to make a fantasy film, I have an original script done(though editing its scenes a bit), with props, and still planning it along the way to get into public television (I'm getting these guys to help me with it)...

If originality is dead in H-wood, then turn to a new medium filmmaking as lowered itself to like direct-to-DVD movies, sure some of the "good" ones'll be very hard to find, and its very risky sometimes but it's fun to get into them, soon enough H-wood will lose its audiences at a great scale and will have to turn to originality in their pictures or their greedy-faggo-assed business will be ruined.

I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say "We hate H-wood. It's tammed. It's done for. We hope it takes a knife and runs right into it." Don't let originality in H-wood being dead stop you from fulfilling your dreams, you can still get your movie into theatres without H-wood, y'know? Sure it's hard work, but you have to fight for the dreams you believe in.

So fuck H-wood. Originality in motion picture is still alive and well, you just have to dig deeper to find it.

(I'm looking out for "9" and "Power of the Dark Crystal")

Last edited by Toby; 05-22-2009 at 03:37 PM.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Theoretical B-Movie Scream Queen
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-11-2012

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Alba Dellamorta Steam ID albadellamorta
    I think the whole upswing in re-imaginings, re-makes, re-hashes, re-duxes and re-releases is all down to the sense of a "sure thing". If we have a sniff around outside of our adored genre and even past cinema, we'll see that this kind of trend is rampant in everything. I mean, Jebus. . .they even brought ruddy Care Bears back. .

It might be the current economic climate that has set the studios into this never ending cycle of regurgitation, instead of taking a risk on new material, they are instead relying on tried and tested sources, safe in the knowledge that the film going public will put their hands in their pockets. It might also be nostalgia type excuse, looking back to more lucrative time always encourages people to part with cash. . because lets be honest, money is what it all boils down to.

I say, screw em, Mr. Gore Maker, stay true to your vision and don't back down purely to get noticed. There are those of us that will always hunt down fresh, new meat in our chosen fields and if your work is something that touches us, there is no doubt that we will share our discovery with other like minded sorts. Its how Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson got to the level of success they now enjoy. There is a great deal of power in the whole DIY ethic, so long as your passion is genuine.

NIZ08
    This user has no status.

I think going the independent route is better than working for Hollywood. Yeah, you get the big budgets for bigger movies in hollywood and get to work with powerful people, but I think the indie route is better (which I am doing). It's way more fun, more challenging, invent new ideas with your environment and not the money, and most of all (and what a lot of people forget who work in Hollywood or anyone who is thriving to become a filmmaker) Don't do it for the money, do it because you love it.

I can't work in Hollywood and don't want to. I love making movies without worrying about the money so much. I like to write what I write, create ideas that are challenging but man is it exciting when you execute them, and work closely with everyone I can in the whole process of the movie since there is a lesser crowd when production is going on.

Hollywood, too me, focus too much on money and overcrowd things during production of movies, I think you don't need so many people to make a movie, and on top of that, I like to talk to everyone and get their opinions if I can. It is a team effort, don't want to leave anyone out of the process of making the film.

Rotting Zealot
    bears, beets, battlestar
    galactica

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 40
    The only problem is love doesn't pay bills. I'd much rather be a working filmmaker doing what I love on a set, whether I am creative personnel or a human C-stand.

A few people still want to pretend art and commerce don't go hand and hand. People throw money at artists. Warhol dined with new york's social elite and rock stars. Michelangelo had the Vatican behind him, Nascar doesn't even get corporate sponsorship that good. Everyone likes money, it pays rents and puts groceries inside of fridges.

But no one likes losing money. Filmmaking is an expensive art form that employs a lot of people, It's a lot easier to say "NO" and lose Zero dollars versus saying "YES" and risking 100s of thousands to 100s of millions. The more it costs the closer the final product is going to be a safe bet with an easy sell.

Last edited by choptop2; 05-24-2009 at 02:08 AM.

NIZ08
    This user has no status.

I didn't mean it like always avoid money, I mean by doing a career you love and not work a job you hate, but you just work for the salary. My dad does, he hates his job but it pays well and he gave me advice to always follow the career you love and not do it for the money, the money will always come.

I know you will need money for movies, but you will hate making films if you only do it for the money and not really do it because you love it. Because there are people out there who hate doing film, but just do it because it can pay a person well (I don't how can anyone hate making films, it's so fun!).

I hope you get what I'm saying.

Closed Thread