SHULER DONNER ON UPCOMING FOX PROJECTS.

Producer Lauren Shuler Donner told SCI FI Wire that she's still eager to do a Magneto prequel film, though that will depend in part on how X-Men Origins: Wolverine performs.

Shuler Donner also updated us exclusively on her slate of upcoming genre projects, including First Class, about the Xavier School; Cirque du Freak; and a possible Constantine sequel, which is possible.

Shuler Donner talked with us last week in a telephone interview to promote Wolverine, which comes out May 1. Following is an edited version of our exclusive interview.

What's the latest on Magneto?

Shuler Donner: I don't know. We have a great script. Honestly, we have all been just so focused on getting Wolverine out that we didn't take the time to sit down and explore "What are the movies we're going to do next within the genre?" We will do that. We will do that. We all want to. Magneto is a fantastic script, and hopefully we'll make it. I don't know.

How much will the reaction to Wolverine affect Magneto?

Shuler Donner: I think this is partly to do with it, yes. And then we have First Class, which is based on the X-Men comics' first class and is very literal to the title. It's the first class in Xavier's school. But that's just being written. I haven't even seen a first draft. And I'm producing that with Simon Kinberg.

What interests you about First Class as a potential franchise?

Shuler Donner: I like kids. I did produce Pretty in Pink and St. Elmo's Fire. I do like those kind of teenage movies; I really do. Part of it takes me to my roots. It's action. There seems, to me, to be more humor, or more potential for humor. I really like that idea. The relationship ... I don't want to get into what the script is about, but it provides a bit of a lighter touch to the franchise.

Where are things at with Cirque du Freak?

Shuler Donner: It's done [and will be released next year]. It's very much what [director] Paul Weitz wanted. We had a director who saw it a certain way, and it is the way he saw it. He used the book as sort of source material.

And what's the latest on Constantine 2? Will that happen?

Shuler Donner: Looks very good. Thinking about it. Looking for a writer.
Long story short, A Magneto prequel could happen. It just depends on how our admantium-filled mutant fares at the box office. Now, I really don't see the point in making a prequel for Magneto. What's to know? Is the first half of the movie going to be Schindler's List and the second half be Mag and Professor X looking for mutants? That doesn't sound like a great story, but Donner here says the script is great. So who knows? And I don't even know what the story is, so I'll give it a chance.

There's also a possibility of a movie being based of the series X-Men: First Class which is the story of the original mutants, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Ice Man, Beast, and Angel). Now I've been wanting a true X-Men movie for a while, as the first three movies were all Wolverine: Featuring the X-Men.