Last Online
    08-31-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 5

Rats of NIHM going live action?

As rodents prove surprisingly likable on the big screen, the studio is developing a feature version of the Newbery Medal-winning children's book "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH."

Director Neil Burger ("The Illusionist") is in talks to write the screenplay.

The movie would be the second theatrical go-round for the book, which MGM brought to the screen in 1982 as the animated "The Secret of NIMH," directed by Don Bluth.

Robert C. O'Brien's book has been a staple in children's bookstores and libraries since it was first published in 1971. The story centers on a mouse -- the titular Mrs. Frisby, renamed Mrs. Brisby in the MGM movie -- faced with a crisis when her son falls ill and she must move her family to escape a farmer's plow.

Mrs. Frisby enlists a group of former lab rats, whom she soon discovers possess advanced technologies and run a highly evolved society, dividing labor in the manner of a human community.

Usually relegated to sidekick status, rodents recently have come into their own as main characters. This past weekend "G-Force," which centers on a mission undertaken by a group of computer-animated guinea pigs, took the box-office cheese, earning $32 million and besting holdover "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

Those familiar with "NIMH" noted, however, that the material has elements of a parable and reflects more serious ideas than the light comedy of "G-Force."

The new "NIMH" likely will combine live action and animation in the manner of "Alvin and the Chipmunks" and other kiddie hybrids.

"NIMH" would be Burger's first foray into family fare. The writer-director's previous work includes the Ed Norton period magician's tale "The Illusionist" and the Tim Robbins post-Iraq feature "The Lucky Ones."
    http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....-works-reuters

I'm mixed on this. I love the 1982 cartoon, and them doing this just to capatalize on that lame ass rat film is the wrong reason to remake it. That said, if they keep the dark themes the story is so well known for, this might not nearly be as bad, maybe even a little fun.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bedogsexor
    This user has no status.

I loved that cartoon, nothing can beat it.

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0
    this'll be another G-Force. That flick was kinda fun in 3D but nothing I'd go watch again. No reason to do this. I'd rather them just animate the whole thing again. That could atleast be better.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    An animated sequel of the books, by Don Bluth, would be better.

This is nothing special and totally unneccessary, they're just going to throw the dark themes out because it's going to be for the little kiddies who ruin everything.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

+ Reply to Thread