Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 2

New Superman movie- many years away

On Friday, I spoke with the new head of DC Entertainment, Diane Nelson, who offered up some thoughts on how the recent changes in and around Warner Brothers will affect Superman, Batman and the rest of DC's stable of characters in comics, movies and various other media.

However, one particular portion of the interview seemed to merit its own post. While discussing some of the specific projects on the horizon for DC ("Ryan Reynolds can be anything he wants to be," said Nelson of the "Green Lantern" star's ability to play both Hal Jordan and the Marvel character Deadpool in upcoming films), the conversation eventually turned to one of the company's most iconic characters: Superman.

"We actually don't have any current plans for Superman," said Nelson when asked if the new environment (and the recent legal decision regarding the character) made a "Superman" movie more or less likely in the near future.

We recently ranked Superman as one of the most important properties for WB to prioritize in their new, movie-friendly arrangement regarding DC, so it was interesting to hear that the company currently has no plans for the Man of Steel.

Nelson then reiterated her stance on the lack of action on the Superman front, while acknowledging the character's importance in the DC universe.

"We've obviously done a lot of great things behind the property in our history, and it's a key part of the family, but we don't have current plans behind Superman," she said.

With rumored "Superman" director James McTeigue recently offering his own take on what he'd do with the Man of Steel if given the chance, Nelson's comments certainly call into question how far along any plans might be—and whether we'll believe a man can fly again any time soon.
    SOURCE

I figured that with Marvel releasing their four horsemen of the box office onto the big screen, DC would want to play catch up, due to jealousy that Marvel is apparently going to get to do their team up movie before DC. And that would make DC release their stable of heroes- Flash, Wonder Woman, Superman, etc. to the movies.

So for those of you who were desperately waiting for a sequel to Superman Returns or a reboot, keep waiting. You can also kiss Brandon Routh goodbye, since I doubt he'll be picked to come back years from now due to his age (29) and WB seems to not care at all about Superman.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0
    they need to completely redo superman. And 1 day they will. But hell we don't need another freakin origin story. Just make a superman movie. I dont wanna see Routh or another Christopher Reeves wannabe, I don't care what anyone says thats NOT superman. I dont wanna see a quirky Lex Luthor. He needs to have his boyscout attitude but at the same time I want for once to see Superman go the fuck off.

Give him Darkseid to fight or somebody like that so he has an excuse to do that. That speech Superman gave in I believe it was the Justice League cartoon. The one where he tells Darkseid he lives in a world full of cardboard, and he never gets to let loose. But Darkseid can take it. I want THAT superman.

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up

I find it pretty funny that Superman apparently didn't care about the people in those buildings.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 10
    I'll agree with the crowd that believes this guy needs to be repackaged to be both compelling and non cheesy to a modern audience IMO.

Said it before, that's really all that's needed to make it work.

Thrash or Die
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    02-23-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    If they want to make a successful Superman movie again, they need to make it more grittier and give him a villain worth fighting like Darkseid or Brainiac.

Killing Is My Busines... And Business Is Good!

Purely & Simply...Evil...& Stoned.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-30-2012

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up

I am a big fan of the S man and I was really disappointed to hear that they are not going to make a Superman movie for a long while. Why not match the success of Batman with the Man of Steel??? It just doesn't make sense to me

Dream Demon
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-24-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 5
    I'm not a big Superman fan, but if they ever do another movie they got to introduce a new villain. Lex Luthor is boring. I say bring on a Superman movie with Doomsday as the villain, that would be sweet.

"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he receive either"
    -Benjamin Franklin

If left in the sun..mayo grows hair
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-16-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    A total reboot does seem to be the way to go. It was nice that they wanted to keep the legacy of the Christopher Reeve era movies alive, but I just don't know if they can realistically keep doing that and make it good. Furthermore, James Marsden needs to ditch this shit and play Cyclops again

And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved. ~ Acts 4:12

"I feel the need...the need for SPEED!"
    -Tom Cruise and Anthony Edwards
    'TOP GUN'

Check out my MySpace page....http://www.myspace.com\pastorice43

Zombiefied Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyKruger316 View Post
    I'm not a big Superman fan, but if they ever do another movie they got to introduce a new villain. Lex Luthor is boring. I say bring on a Superman movie with Doomsday as the villain, that would be sweet.
    Agreed, and I would take it a step further and say the reason the movies won't fare any better than the most recent one is because Superman is often depicted in the movies as a flawless character. I for one cannot identify with such a perfect human. I would love to see them use Doomsday and maybe go through the whole Death of Superman storyline, I liked the aftermath as well with the 4 people claiming to be Superman after his death and the idea that cults of personality have sprung up up that worship Superman as a God.

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_ice43 View Post
    Furthermore, James Marsden needs to ditch this shit and play Cyclops again
    Kinda hard to do that, since, you know, Cyclops was obliterated into nothingness.

Zombiefied Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Unless there's a reboot but I would think they would get a new Cyclops were that to be the case.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    They need to let Kevin Smith write his own script for a Superman movie. Have you seen what he said about it when they hired him to write the next sequel? He was actually considering Doomsday to be in it, but this was during the 90s and they put him with an idiot named Jon Peters who kept making him put stupid shit into it and even having a giant spider be put in it as a King Kong ripoff, an R2D2 rip with a gay black man's voice, a dog character to be on Brainiac's side....

90s were a stupid time....Those Batman sequels give me not-so-good nightmares..

But I guarentee you, since Kevin Smith (yes the f-ing Clerks guy) is a huge comic book fan he could give us an awesome Superman or any comic book movie taboot. Not trying to get all crazy, but I've begun to hate Warner Bros. bitterly because of their campy nonsensable and cheeseball crap, and that they didn't give Trick 'r Treat a chance....what a stupid studio, like Fox and all them...but I guess you can't always complain at studios that did SOME movies the right way...

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Zombiefied Zealot
    Preternatural of being, I am
    not me.

Status
    Last Online
    11-07-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Add BigFatOgre on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 18
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag BigFatOgre75
    Doomsday and Death of Superman
    That was pretty much the only Superman storylines i was able to get into.
    Supes is just too, I don't know, he's unidentifiable in everyway - Even Captain America had his bad days.

Good luck out there
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-07-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID grosvenor
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    They need to let Kevin Smith write his own script for a Superman movie. Have you seen what he said about it when they hired him to write the next sequel? He was actually considering Doomsday to be in it, but this was during the 90s and they put him with an idiot named Jon Peters who kept making him put stupid shit into it and even having a giant spider be put in it as a King Kong ripoff, an R2D2 rip with a gay black man's voice, a dog character to be on Brainiac's side....

90s were a stupid time....Those Batman sequels give me not-so-good nightmares..

But I guarentee you, since Kevin Smith (yes the f-ing Clerks guy) is a huge comic book fan he could give us an awesome Superman or any comic book movie taboot. Not trying to get all crazy, but I've begun to hate Warner Bros. bitterly because of their campy nonsensable and cheeseball crap, and that they didn't give Trick 'r Treat a chance....what a stupid studio, like Fox and all them...but I guess you can't always complain at studios that did SOME movies the right way...
    They didn't put him with Peters, Peters holds/held the films rights to Superman, so he could do whatever he wanted and no one could stop him. That's one thing with DC properties, the film rights are held by so many different people, you get crazy Wild Wild West mechanical spiders being tossed into Superman scripts.

That said, I'd like to see if Singer could make a better 2nd go round (I also wouldn't count Routh out, Rreeves wasn't exactly a spring chicken by the end of his run. 29 isn't all that bad), as he did from X-Men to X-Men2. Also, they have a stable of so many other characters, take the hint from Marvel on this one and film more of them. Doesn't even have to be top-tier characters. Hell, Blade made cash/was a decent film, and its not a well known comic compared to other Marvel characters.

OMG! Step away from the forum drama, NOW!
    Click Here

Here is a short story for you, once upon a time.....there was a Shut the fuck up! - Vampire Hunter

Purely & Simply...Evil...& Stoned.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-30-2012

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutter Kane View Post
    Agreed, and I would take it a step further and say the reason the movies won't fare any better than the most recent one is because Superman is often depicted in the movies as a flawless character. I for one cannot identify with such a perfect human. I would love to see them use Doomsday and maybe go through the whole Death of Superman storyline, I liked the aftermath as well with the 4 people claiming to be Superman after his death and the idea that cults of personality have sprung up up that worship Superman as a God.
    Told you it was a good book didn't I?

Rotting Zealot
    bears, beets, battlestar
    galactica

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 40
    Clearly Tim Burton was going in the right direction with Nic Cage in "Super Man Lives".

Old No. 7 Brand
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-30-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Like I said on the other forum I post on, Nic Cage in that suit looks like a pedo

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up