10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 2

3atman and Superman reboot

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/it...ng-3rd-batman/

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros is trying to ready its DC Comics stalwart Superman to soar again on the Big Screen, and the studio has turned to Chris Nolan to mentor development of the movie. Our insiders say that the brains behind rebooted Batman has been asked to play a "godfather" role and ensure The Man Of Steel gets off the ground after a 3 1/2-year hiatus. Nolan's leadership of the project can set it in the right direction with the critics and the fans, not to mention at the box office. Besides, Nolan is considered something of a god at Warner Bros and has a strong relationship with the studio after the success of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Though he wasn’t obligated to do so, he gave the studio first crack at his spec script Inception, and Warner Bros was able to buy it before other studios even got a sniff. While Nolan completes that Leonardo DiCaprio-starrer for a July 16th release, he's also hatched an idea for Warner Bros' third Batman installment. Now his brother and frequent collaborator Jonathan "Jonah" Nolan, and David Goyer who co-wrote Batman Begins and penned the story for The Dark Knight, are off scripting it. (See 'FlashForward' Showrunner Exits For Features).

Let us emphasize that Superman 3.0 is in the early stages of development. And we doubt Nolan would direct. This wouldn't be a sequel to Superman Returns but a completely fresh franchise. As one of our insiders reassures: “It would definitely not be a followup to Superman Returns." Nolan coming on board follows a hiatus period for Superman after that 2006 reboot as the studio tried to figure out whether or not to make a sequel to that version starring Brandon Routh directed by Bryan Singer. As recently as this summer, Warner Bros was still contemplating how to proceed. We were told that "Bryan or Brandon are not completely out of it yet. But Warner Bros doesn't have a handle yet on it, either. [Producer] Jon Peters is trying to make something happen since he stands to benefit financially. But they [the studio] need to hear a great story that makes sense." Another insider explained to us, "We know what we don't want to do. But we don't know what we want to do. We learned a lot from the last movie, and we want to get it right this time."

Fans have long been yearning for Superman to finally get the big screen Nolan-ized treatment this classic superhero deserves. Warner Bros clearly has learned from all five Superman movies. Superman: The Movie and Superman II starring Christopher Reeve and produced by Ilya and Alexander Salkind, were critical, fan, and financial successes. Their 1983 Superman III mediocre. Then came a real dud in 1987, Superman IV: The Quest For Peace which continued wth Reeves but unfortunately was made by Golan-Globus's Cannon Films in association with Warner Bros. The inbetween period between that pic and 2006's Superman Returns was plagued by long delays and budget troubles and script misses. In 1997, original Batman director Tim Burton tried to make a Superman movie starring Nicolas Cage. Around 2004, J.J. Abrams wrote a film that was the first leg of a trilogy. Abrams wanted to direct, but had only directed episodes of his TV series (and wouldn't make his feature directing debut until 2006's Mission:Impossible III. McG and Brett Ratner separately were attached to that film. Ratner got closest, but Warner Bros was wary of a budget that swelled to $250 million, and which seemed risky after established star Josh Hartnett turned down the 3-picture deal that could have brought him $100 million in salary. After that, Warner Bros bosses didn't embrace Ratner's s choice of soap opera actor Matt Bomer to star.

Other prominent filmmakers were reportedly in the loop, but Warner Bros never pulled the trigger on the picture until Bryan Singer's involvement. Singer's Superman Returns was respectably reviewed for the genre. But it turned in only $52 million opening weekend, and $391 million worldwide gross. Problem was it cost too much (the budget was reportedly $270 million), and the promotion was lousy (Joel Silver was brought in at the last minute to inject macho into the marketing campaign). Worse, it left diehard fans only "meh" about a sequel starring Routh. Singer fared better, but it seems doubtful he'll be asked for an encore now. After all, Singer is now developing the spinoff X-Men: First Class for 20th Century Fox whose bosses were furious when he took on The Man Of Steel reboot instead of helming X-Men 3. But Singer and the studio subsequently made peace and he's back in the Fox fold and on board.

The restructuring of Warner Bros' business with DC Comics became Warner Bros Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov's first priority since having his contract reupped by Time Warner last summer. Problems have plagued the DC Comics-Warner Bros relationship for more than a decade. But the biggest failure has been to leave the most valuable DC Comics characters in movie development limbo by chaotically starting and stopping development on the high profile live action pics. Most recently, Warner Bros and DC Comics are finally getting their act together as evidenced by the progress on Green Lantern.

Superman 3.0 would test Warner Bros veteran executive Diane Nelson, the head of DC Entertainment Inc, that new company founded to fully realize and integrate the power and value of the DC Comics brand and characters across all media and platforms into Warner Bros Entertainment's content and distribution businesses. Nelson especially was charged with suping up Superman again because it's way too valuable to leave dormant like this. Besides, the clock is ticking.

Attorney Marc Toberoff, who keeps suing Warner Bros on behalf of creative rightsholders, warns that, in 2013, the Jerome Siegel heirs along with the estate of co-creator Joe Shuster will own the entire original copyright to Superman -- "and neither DC Comics nor Warner Bros will be able to exploit any new Superman works without a license from the Siegels and Shusters". He's also pointed out that, if Warner Bros does not start production on a new Superman sequel or reboot by 2011, the Siegels could sue to recover their damages on the grounds that the deal should have contained a clause in which the rights returned to the owners after a given time if no film was in development. The heirs of Siegel have already been awarded half the copyright for Superman. And in 2013 the heirs of co-creator Joe Shuster get the remaining half. After that, neither DC Comics nor Warner Bros will be able to use Superman without a financial agreement with the heirs. There are also stipulations on what parts of the origins story can be used in future Superman movies and which require re-negotiations with the creators' heirs or estates.

At first, Warner Bros felt no pressure to rush out another Superman pic. As Warner Bros chairman Alan Horn told a court hearing about rights to Superman, he hoped to make another Superman movie but no film was in development, no script had been written, and the earliest he foresaw another Superman film released would be 2012. He told the judge: "We had hopes to keep the character alive and to once again reinvent Superman. Our hope is to develop a Superman property and to try again. What hurt us is that the reviews and so on for the Superman movie did not get the kind of critical acclaim that Batman got, and we have other issues with Superman that concern us."

So Warner Bros is now bringing in Batman's saviour. What Nolan would do with the Superman character and story is intriguing to say the least. And he has the experience necessary of prepping and pepping a played-out franchise. The 2005 Batman Begins grossed $373 million worldwide on a reported $150 million budget. And of course 2008’s The Dark Knight crossed the $1 billion worldwide gross mark on a reported $185 million budget (and Heath Ledger posthumously won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor).

Batman was rebooted according to Frank Miller's film noirish comic book 4-issue limited series Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. But there's a big difference between Superman's cinematic incarnations and comic book version. Warner Brothers and DC Comics for a long time weren’t sure which version they liked better. The cinematic version has been squeaky clean, occasionally campy, and has more-or-less unlimited power except when confronted with Kryptonite. The comic book version has some limits on his powers, can be darker, and fights aliens a lot more. Shortly after Dark Knight hit it big, fans assumed that Superman would be taken to the “dark” side as well. That's because Warner Bros mogul Jeff Robinov stressed post-Dark Knight that "we have to look at how to make these movies edgier". One of our insiders interpreted this to say: "He meant more sophisticated."

A more comic-accurate Superman seems like the way to go. No need to worry: Chris Nolan knows what he's doing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Zombiefied Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I hope they ditch Lex Luther and go with Doomsday as the villain.

I love GORE!
    Laid back

Status
    Last Online
    02-21-2024

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 4
    I think Nolan would do something special with this, why not let him direct it?

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutter Kane View Post
    Agreed. That would be sick

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Horror View Post
    I think Nolan would do something special with this, why not let him direct it?
    Because he probably doesn't want to, plus, he's got Batman to think about. Concentrating on two projects like that at once would be overload.

Flying Monsters Eating Ice Cream...
    Bah Humbug

Status
    Last Online
    08-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Bored
    Follow Natasmai On Twitter Add Natasmai on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Natasmai 666 Steam ID natasmai
    Just heard about this on attack of the show...

I don't know whether to kiss you,
    Or cut you,
    And kill you...

http://www.youtube.com/Natasmai666

The Rottweiler
    The Hound of Horror

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Add Halcon Loco on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Hawk Wesker PSN ID KryptixHawk
    Damn, more reboots.

Si usted no puede correr con los perros grandes permanecer en el porche!

Number of Horror Movies Seen- 1,896

Purely & Simply...Evil...& Stoned.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-30-2012

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I'm all for a new superman movie especially with Nolan as "godfather" of the production

I love GORE!
    Laid back

Status
    Last Online
    02-21-2024

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by cmurdur View Post
    Because he probably doesn't want to, plus, he's got Batman to think about. Concentrating on two projects like that at once would be overload.
    Yeah, but isn't that what he's basically doing since they stated that he is the "godfather" of production?

Other than that do, I want to see Penguin in the next film.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-29-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Add voodoo on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

Once I was normal among the sheep.Now I'm immortal, in the night I creep.

I run an mma blog,check it out
    armbarsmmaworld.blogspot.com

UHM's Reverend
    I take what I don't need... I
    crush... You BLEED...

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Follow WarBeast On Twitter Add WarBeast on Facebook
    Visit WarBeast's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Nope. PSN ID Dada Steam ID Don't want to share it. Wii Code Zilch
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutter Kane View Post
    Yeah, I've just about had enough of Lex being the villain in the movies... I understand he has always been Supe's arch nemesis, but there is a big wide universe of villains to pull from... I want to see Supe's going toe-to-toe with a mofo that can physically stand up to him... Doomsday... Darkseid... hell, I'd even go for Bizarro! I want to see Superman and some bad mofo knocking each other through buildings and shit!

Plucking Eyes, Sockets Red, Swarming Flies, EAT THE DEAD!!!!!! - Me

"The blackest night falls from the skies,
    The darkness grows, as all light dies,
    We crave your hearts and your demise,
    By my black hand— the dead shall rise!"

UHM's Reverend
    I take what I don't need... I
    crush... You BLEED...

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Follow WarBeast On Twitter Add WarBeast on Facebook
    Visit WarBeast's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Nope. PSN ID Dada Steam ID Don't want to share it. Wii Code Zilch
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    Okay... I GIVE!! What the fuck is dat pic in your sig from?!!!

Plucking Eyes, Sockets Red, Swarming Flies, EAT THE DEAD!!!!!! - Me

"The blackest night falls from the skies,
    The darkness grows, as all light dies,
    We crave your hearts and your demise,
    By my black hand— the dead shall rise!"

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-29-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Add voodoo on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBeast View Post
    Okay... I GIVE!! What the fuck is dat pic in your sig from?!!!
    If only I knew!
    I got the bitches name(Louise Bourgoin),i even imdb' here and found no clue as from where is this from.Best guess ..this is from some French talk show('cause i've seen here normal pics with the similar audience) and this was some sor off ultra creepy,yet really hot gag

Last edited by voodoo; 02-10-2010 at 05:44 AM.

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Reboot? Yes and No. I dont wanna see Supermans Origins AGAIN. Hell we all know Supermans origins. My freakin grandmother knows Supermans origins already. Lets move on. I wanna see the superman from the COMIC BOOKS. Yes he has a "boy scout" sort of personality, but the guy gets fuckin pissed off sometimes too.

Bring in Darkseid already! (although someone mentioned doomsday, that'd be cool too). I wanna see a big guy play superman, its not all about size when it comse to the big screen, but damn it I just can't see a small person playing freakin superman for cryin outload. Brandon Routh....to small. I think it would be awesome to see Apokolips on the big screen. I've never felt like I was watching a comic book movie with a superman flick, and I want to feel that. They wanna bring Lex into it? I'm fine with that. He's a great character but make him the Lex we all know. I want the crazy scientist/Business man. Put him in the big green kryptonite suit and have them duke it out!! Who do I think should play Lex? A bald Bruce Willis. Yeah, that'd be cool.

Don't go overly campy, but I think these directors forget theres supposed to be SOME camp here. Its a comic book for crying outload, no matter how serious they get you still laugh at some of the things they do. Like I mentioned before Lex Luthor in a big green suit fighting superman is kinda dorky, but its also fucking awesome. And besides Ironman proved a bald guy in a mechanical suit fighting the superhero would work anyway (come on hollywood you love to use other peoples ideas, heres your chance). But my number 1 pick would be Darksied. Give me Apokolips, give me the furies. fuck it even throw Granny Goodness in there, that'd crack me up. Look campy as hell, and I'd love every second of it.

Last edited by Chief Falling Rock; 02-10-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    I was never a big superman guy, even in his comic book incarnations I never sympathized with him like Batman or Spidey or pretty much any other character. I'd like to see a really dark version, and definitely would like to see him flex his powers against a Darksied/Doomsday type.

Now that I mentioned a dark superman someone cue the Burton/Nic Cage pic, that always cracks me up.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-29-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Add voodoo on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Metallo would be pretty sweet!Although Darkseid or Doomsday is equally awesome....hell,since they are reebooting the whole damn franchise...why not throw in General Zod again!I just know hollywood writers get the shits when even cosnidering someone saying one more time "Kneel before Zod!".

Last edited by voodoo; 02-11-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Horror View Post
    Yeah, but isn't that what he's basically doing since they stated that he is the "godfather" of production?
    Handing out advice and directing the movie is entirely different. He won't have final say over anything, he's just more of a guide.

Other than that do, I want to see Penguin in the next film.
    Why, so we can see one of Batman's villains that isn't insane? Pssh, lame. Bring on Bane!

I'd also just like to say that this is still a rumor, without any official confirmation from WB or the people involved. So I'm still expecting disappointment, but, this seems to be legit, or at least a helluva lot more than the other bullshit we've had to put up with. Deadline has a reputation of being accurate with its news and this isn't some asinine idea. It's not like they're reporting on a drunken Michael Caine spitting out some random thought, or a piece of garbage like The Sun trying to sell more papers with "Cher is Catwoman!"

I'm still holding my breath, bracing myself for a let down, but if this is true, I'll be very pleased.

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Quote Originally Posted by cmurdur View Post

Why, so we can see one of Batman's villains that isn't insane? Pssh, lame. Bring on Bane!
    I thought Bane was like a genius that was quite mentally stable? It's been a long time since I read a batman comic but I thought that was his deal and he went after batman merely to make a big entrance in Gotham

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    I thought Bane was like a genius that was quite mentally stable? It's been a long time since I read a batman comic but I thought that was his deal and he went after batman merely to make a big entrance in Gotham
    Yeah, I guess Bane is alright in the head, but if we're picking between sane villains, I'll take the guy who can physically overpower Batman, rather than the short, fat little man who has some fascination with umbrellas.

Unless of course, Batman and Penguin run for mayor:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast