My Mood
    Dead
    Add Darkgod on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 51
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Chumpstylz PSN ID D_A_R_K_G_O_D
    Luris is right... us horror goes in cycles... universal monsters, big monsters, gothic, slashers, scream clones, jap remakes, us remakes of classics.... soon there will be a new fad

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nightmare Insomniac
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    Nothing from Hollywood will ever be original again, itz just a fact because of the greediness in the studios. They'd rather "re-invent" than create something new if it means more $$. It's too risky to try something that they have no idea will work or not
    Certainly the studios are greedy. The greed isn't the blame for the lack of originality though. That blame goes to the people that keep paying for unoriginal movies. As you somewhat stated they aren't going to risk money, if people keep paying for the same old stuff.

I paid $20 for what?
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2010

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow Luris Blear On Twitter Add Luris Blear on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID arcanasphere
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
    Luris is right... us horror goes in cycles... universal monsters, big monsters, gothic, slashers, scream clones, jap remakes, us remakes of classics.... soon there will be a new fad
    Exactly.

So unless a fad comes by that is actually worse than that 90s bullshit "comedy with horror" genre that we had to endure, I'll try to remain more introspective about the state of affairs.

Blog - Facebook - Myspace
    Night Shine Islands - Fantasy podcast, Last update: October 8
    I survived Camp Hacknslash

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    agree with luris

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10
    The Cycle is undeniable but that only pertains to mainstream horror. Films with constricted budgets usually ignore the fad and hit their stride..

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

horror freak from overseas.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-09-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Confused
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Luris Blear View Post
    Horror goes through phases. It's happened before with the Universal monsters. It will come around again.

The studios (like it or not) invest more money in a lot of these movies than many people will see in a lifetime. They need the return of a whole hell of a lot more money than many of us will see in a lifetime or else they go broke. That means gaffers and matte artists are pretty well fucked, too. I mean, the system as is does pay the bills on the bottom rungs, too.

The information age is opening up to us like a three dollar whore. This can be a great time for non-Hollywood types to make their move. The thing is, they are going to have to step up their game. There will always be a base for "it isn't Hollywood" types who will watch anything. I have the feeling there are a lot more horror fans who don't give a damn where it came from as long as it appeals to them and is executed well enough. (I use the word "appeal" for countless reasons. First and foremost that horror is a very personal thing.)

I'll forgo the obvious indie horror title and go with The Deaths of Ian Stone. The ideas were, if not 100% fresh, an exciting combination of concepts into a new whole. "Story" wasn't replaced with "endless angst-ridden jabbering." Gore was present when someone was murdered, but wasn't the purpose of the movie either. It appeals to me as what Indie fillmakers could do when they pull their focus away from one branch of horror, and what Hollywood could be getting behind to excite their audiences.

But even most indie studios are in it for the buck. No one seems to care if the Computer Graphics look more like Roger Rabbit than any image of horror. Even too many who are in it for the art seem to get blindsided by a limited view of what horror is, or worse -- too busy trying to be the Anti-Hollywood. This is sad, too. Hollywood has spent the last several decades aping the risks that indy filmmakers made successful. Too many indie filmmakers seem scared of doing that, when they obviously have the drive and vision to give Hollywood a firm kick in the jewels.
    Wow, good insight. Then again, no matter horror moving in cycles, there are horror genres out there which almost consistenly remain as cult favorites and critic favorites which never really hit the mainstream that hard. Perhaps the best example is Psychological horror genre. Take Jacob's Ladder for example. Brilliant film but mostly forgotten nowadays. Its sad for the film industry when currently the most popular and best "spokesman" of psychological horror is a video game franchise (Silent Hills).

Fresh Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-09-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    it sucks....

Good luck out there
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-07-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID grosvenor
    Quote Originally Posted by MEITTI View Post
    Wow, good insight. Then again, no matter horror moving in cycles, there are horror genres out there which almost consistenly remain as cult favorites and critic favorites which never really hit the mainstream that hard. Perhaps the best example is Psychological horror genre. Take Jacob's Ladder for example. Brilliant film but mostly forgotten nowadays. Its sad for the film industry when currently the most popular and best "spokesman" of psychological horror is a video game franchise (Silent Hills).
    'Psychological horror' is just a horror fans way saying 'psychological thriller' and plenty crap films have been released under this banner in recent years. They just tend to be less obtuse than Jacob's Ladder (from an average filmgoers perspective) and star Sandra Bullock.
    Every 'cycle' will have crap along with a few good films. It's nothing new or geographically centered

Doesn't have to be Hollywood either. The French, Japanese, Italian, Russian, etc will all have cycles. Their films tends to get away with more or be inherently weirder, so we seem to overlook the cycle when something like Martyr's or any number of Japanese ghost films are released here.

OMG! Step away from the forum drama, NOW!
    Click Here

Here is a short story for you, once upon a time.....there was a Shut the fuck up! - Vampire Hunter

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-13-2017

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Bored
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    I think a lot could be said about non US films also. Fair enough Martyrs was quite different but look at Frontiers- kids who come across weirdos who kidnap and torture, The Ordeal- again, man comes across weirdos in the country, J horror- another creepy ghost girl with long black hair over her face scaring people. ou mentioned [Rec], fair enough it was fresh and enjoyable, but then infected people chasing and trying to kill/infect people in closed spaces, not really new is it? All stories that have been told before. Not to say there originality doesnt exist, just saying its rare to find something that is completly fresh and new.

UHM's Pedophile Hunter
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-08-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 22
    Quote Originally Posted by linzlu84 View Post
    I think a lot could be said about non US films also. Fair enough Martyrs was quite different but look at Frontiers- kids who come across weirdos who kidnap and torture, The Ordeal- again, man comes across weirdos in the country, J horror- another creepy ghost girl with long black hair over her face scaring people. ou mentioned [Rec], fair enough it was fresh and enjoyable, but then infected people chasing and trying to kill/infect people in closed spaces, not really new is it? All stories that have been told before. Not to say there originality doesnt exist, just saying its rare to find something that is completly fresh and new.
    Very true.

As far as the remake cycle goes, call me when it's over.

Check out my Movie Review Blog: http://www.kaysfilmcritiques.blogspot.com/

As well as my Book Review Blog: http://kaysbookcritiques.blogspot.com/

horror freak from overseas.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-09-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Confused
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfatha View Post
    'Psychological horror' is just a horror fans way saying 'psychological thriller' and plenty crap films have been released under this banner in recent years. They just tend to be less obtuse than Jacob's Ladder (from an average filmgoers perspective) and star Sandra Bullock.
    Every 'cycle' will have crap along with a few good films. It's nothing new or geographically centered

Doesn't have to be Hollywood either. The French, Japanese, Italian, Russian, etc will all have cycles. Their films tends to get away with more or be inherently weirder, so we seem to overlook the cycle when something like Martyr's or any number of Japanese ghost films are released here.
    I'd say they are still fundamentally different and its a fine line between horror and thriller. Jacob's Ladder and The Shining for example, can be easily put into the horror category. Funnily youre right though, psychological flicks leaning more on horror tend to be better than half-assed psychological thrillers with psychic mothers seeing dull visions of some murderers or something.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Quote Originally Posted by steelba View Post
    The Cycle is undeniable but that only pertains to mainstream horror. Films with constricted budgets usually ignore the fad and hit their stride..
    Absolutely.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    03-13-2016

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6
    its hard to be original now a days. like that proverb once stated: "There's nothing new under the sun" lol

Demon to Some
    Imagine peace on this earth
    when there's no grief Imagine
    grief on this earth when
    there's no peace

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add Darkgod on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 51
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Chumpstylz PSN ID D_A_R_K_G_O_D
    Thats not true because every year we see something new come along, that isn't a remake.

Zombiefied Zealot
    damn status bar...my entries
    are too long for you:dislike:

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 255
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13
    US horror...is very pathetic. Martyrs...is far better than anything that comes out of the US!
    the only good thing I have to say coming from US is Saw. I know people will hate me for saying it but I love watching them mainly to see how fucked up the next kill scene is. Technically the originators of Saw came from Australia. Though I do believe one guy was asain.

The UHM Clown

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    03-13-2016

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
    Thats not true because every year we see something new come along, that isn't a remake.
    new doesnt equal original...

Good luck out there
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-07-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID grosvenor
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishG3nt View Post
    US horror...is very pathetic. Martyrs...is far better than anything that comes out of the US!
    the only good thing I have to say coming from US is Saw. I know people will hate me for saying it but I love watching them mainly to see how fucked up the next kill scene is. Technically the originators of Saw came from Australia. Though I do believe one guy was asain.
    Did I watch a different film than everyone else when I saw Martyrs? I feel like the film I saw was what Hostel would be if Eli Roth had an interest in Sartre and existentialism. Admittedly that is generally a loftier goal than most films, let alone a horror film would aim for, but I didn't feel it was evenly dispersed through the film.

OMG! Step away from the forum drama, NOW!
    Click Here

Here is a short story for you, once upon a time.....there was a Shut the fuck up! - Vampire Hunter

Zombiefied Zealot
    damn status bar...my entries
    are too long for you:dislike:

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 255
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfatha View Post
    Did I watch a different film than everyone else when I saw Martyrs? I feel like the film I saw was what Hostel would be if Eli Roth had an interest in Sartre and existentialism. Admittedly that is generally a loftier goal than most films, let alone a horror film would aim for, but I didn't feel it was evenly dispersed through the film.
    It did have a Hostel feel to it but to me the story was much better than Hostels. The goal they were trying to achieve in the story(then ending) is what brought the movie together for me. I just think there are few directors in America trying to make something "uniquely" their own.

The UHM Clown

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12