Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re

Thumbs down Survival of the Dead Review

Rating #: 4/10
    Director: George A. Romero
    Writer: George A. Romero
    Cast: Julian Richings, Alan Van Sprang, Richard Fitzpatrick, Julian Richings, Athena Karkanis

Plot:
    On an island off the coast of North America, local residents simultaneously fight a zombie epidemic while hoping for a cure to return their un-dead relatives back to their human state.
    George A. Romero is a man who has been changing the face of horror since the 60's. His Night of the Living Dead is an absolute masterpiece among horror fans and is highly known to have had two immaculate sequels. Well, with those sequels coming out in 78 and 85, you would think that anything George touches turns to gold. Unfortunately that has not been the case as of late. George has had some downtime with his movies. Land of the Dead was a disaster and Diary of the Dead showed some promise, but in the end wasn't as good as his previous work. Some people would just like George to stop and forget he even made those recent movies. It has been said that George Romero is like George Lucas in a way, considering his first trilogy cannot be touched and his second trilogy is an absolute disaster. Well, it's George's 6th "...of the dead" movie, how does it add up?

SOTD is not any better then any of his recent movies. It is filled with horrible CGI, extremely terrible dialogue, and the characters are just atrocious. On another note, some of the acting isn't as bad as I thought it would be. This movie really didn't need to be made. There is a minor connection to Diary of the Dead here, but it doesn't fill any gaps or solve anything. What do us zombie horror fanatics get? Two, I'm guessing, Irish families on an island battling it out. There are two men that have hated each other since they were in grade school. When that is all fine dandy, there is little zombie action here. The first few minutes we see the most pathetic attempt at CGI I have ever seen. It's quite laughable and really made me see this movie in a different light. In fact there are a few scenes here that really try to be funny, but aren't at all. It's really painful to watch at parts. The plot holes are just annoying. There can be a scene where the people just walk and not even look at the zombies and get a head shot, but when they are trying to shoot at KEY times, they have no fucking aim whatsoever.

When I think of a Romero movie, I think of gore. In this Romero movie, there isn't much of it. How doesn't the "king" of zombie movies barely put any gore into a ZOMBIE MOVIE? There are a few eating scenes towards the end of the film, but mainly the first hour or so is talking and two dick heads that we do not care about battle it out for their island. I don't see how Romero could have looked at the CGI in the film and could have said, 'Yeah, that'll do'. I don't see it! It is so comical the way people get bit or shot that I can't even take it seriously. Maybe Romero wanted to make a zombedy, but make the whole film funny, not just parts.

Even though the CGI pissed me off, the acting didn't really bother me. Alan Van Sprang did the best job out of the whole movie as the Colonel of the group. Although, he does have some anger issues that I think were kind of over-exaggerated. All the acting wasn't that bad, the dialogue is what killed it. The movie is filled with cliche characters and an even worse script. I mean hell, the two families that were on the island are the Muldoon's and the O'Flynn's. I just don't see the reason for all these different kinds of people in the movie. I don't mind it, but it gave me an unbalanced feel. We have; a skinny nerdy kid, Irish people, Mexicans, Rednecks, Farmers, ect. I wouldn't have had a problem with them all, but each actor made them like over the top Mexican or Irish. It's hard to explain, but it felt that Romero told the actors to REALLY act Mexican or Irish. It's a mess. What's even more of a problem is that we hear from these people during the whole movie. All of the extras used in the movie, or the people who don't talk, literally don't talk. They just stand in the background and have a zombie like look on their face. It seems that no one was trying at all in this movie, not even the extras.

Like I said, there is barely any zombie action. The movie is based around finding a cure, but it has a lot to do with the human characters. There is a lot of going around shooting zombies, but there is no claustrophobic feeling as zombies are closing in. All the characters are extremely prepared for the zombies, and that makes for a boring movie. In Night of the Living Dead we had a bunch of people in a house with fucking boards and nails. In Dawn of the Dead we have a group of people in a shopping mall with hordes of zombies on the outside, in Day of the Dead we once again have hordes of zombies on the outside of a fence while a scientist is desperately trying to find a cure to the zombie plague, in this movie, we have army people who go around shooting zombies that don't even try to attack the humans. We once again see that the zombies are getting smarter, but they BARELY try to go after the humans. These zombies are sitting ducks! AND IT'S FUCKING BORING!

Overall, this movie is pretty bad. At times I felt like I was watching an Irish Western movie rather then a zombie movie created by George A. Romero. This is highly disappointing and I have given Romero all the chances I could give, but I'm done. The only thing he can possibly do now is rely on others to remake his movies so he has any ounce of creditability left in the horror genre. What Romero has done in the 60's-80's cannot be touched and a lot of his works are certified masterpieces, but this is just horse shit. He's just a crazy old man who makes movies to entertain a dumb audience. God speed Romero

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DMHead777; 03-18-2010 at 07:59 PM.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Posted my review earlier. Didn't hate it as much as you, but still didn't like it very much. At least it was a slight improvement over diary

Demon to Some
    Imagine peace on this earth
    when there's no grief Imagine
    grief on this earth when
    there's no peace

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add Darkgod on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 51
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Chumpstylz PSN ID D_A_R_K_G_O_D
    good review and basically spot on

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I'm still pissed for watching it

The Rottweiler
    The Hound of Horror

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Add Halcon Loco on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 4
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Hawk Wesker PSN ID KryptixHawk
    Well i'll be skipping this one now.

Si usted no puede correr con los perros grandes permanecer en el porche!

Number of Horror Movies Seen- 1,911

Hello?
    hi guys

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2016

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Doh
    Add Get Some on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 5
    i havent seen it but i definitely expected a shit fest

RIP JJ

Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-IKickAssFortheLord
    2-2011 Darkgod

Non Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-Shreds of Flesh
    2-2011 Woodenheart

TV Character Draft Winners
    1-Mudvayne_Eternal

My little DVD collection- http://getsome.dvdaf.com/owned

That guy
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-26-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Greedope PSN ID Greedope
    I didn't even realize this one was out yet. For some reason I thought it was coming out in the theater. I didn't have too high hopes for it considering Diary, but I'm going to look for it tomorrow. I can't pass up a zombie flick.

Visit my podcast The Nerd List

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    OK review. I disagreed with the point you made about "this movie is based on finding a cure." (Day focused on that way more) It isn't...it's just a story about people who are fighting over their differences about whether or not to keep the undead "alive" even though they were once loved ones...and that's where the though provocation ends basically.

Definitely a weak edition to the zombie saga. Could have written a more action packed script. Alot of the acting was uninspired but there were some good moments unfortunately not enough to tie this one up solidly.
    Even as bad as this one is I've still seen dozens of Z flix far worse.

Last edited by koolmike; 03-18-2010 at 11:47 PM.
    "Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    OK review. I disagreed with the point you made about "this movie is based on finding a cure." (Day focused on that way more) It isn't...it's just a story about people who are fighting over their differences about whether or not to keep the undead "alive" even though they were once loved ones...and that's where the though provocation ends basically.

Definitely a weak edition to the zombie saga. Could have written a more action packed script. Alot of the acting was uninspired but there were some good moments unfortunately not enough to tie this one up solidly.
    Even as bad as this one is I've still seen dozens of Z flix far worse.
    I meant this movie wasn't really about zombie killing. Along with day, this movie is based on zombies being kept alive to try to find a cure, or in this movies case..

Spoiler...
    Trying to make the zombies eat something else other than humans.

So, in turn, this movie is about trying to find a cure.

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 2
    Zombies = dead horse
    Romero = man with stick

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    You said "based" in your review. The head Muldoon said it once maybe twice for a second that the reason he wanted to Undead to be kept alive because he was sure a cure would be discovered...and that's where it ends. How you can say Survival of the Dead is based on finding a cure is beyond me.
    The people in this movie were not scientists and doctors experimenting with the dead in search of a cure like Day. That movie was based on finding a cure. These people in survival are "hoping" for a cure. They were hoping the dead would eat a pig or a horse. Get it?

It's based more on the idea of whether or not it's "humane" to end an undead life.

Last edited by koolmike; 03-19-2010 at 11:26 AM.

The Scotsman
    In the kingdom of glass
    everything is transparent, and
    there is no place to hide a
    dark heart

Status
    Last Online
    11-09-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Add Dexter on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag jambodexter
    I'm still struggling with the title...

"Survival of the Dead" as if Romero is trying to force the viewer into some empathy with the zombies. By definition "Zombies" always will survive given they aint fucking well alive in the first (second) place, ergo, the title Sucks.

I was right in a previous post about this - "Return of the Insipid Dead" is a more appropriate title.

Romero should concentrate now on teaching his son how to direct, after watching Staunton Hill, the poor lad's piss poor direction has obviously filtered down to his Paw's latest steaming pile of crap.

Romero should also pay CLOSE attention to the latest zombies movies - especially Zombieland, as these are EXACTLY how zombie movies should be made.

I'm annoyed at myself for sitting through it - however I redeemed myself by doing the whole Night-dawn-Day again, so normal order is restored.

I trust Monsewer Romero will now STOP making zombie movies altogether, as he has obviously forgotten exactly what makes us horror fans tick.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Romero should also pay CLOSE attention to the latest zombies movies - especially Zombieland, as these are EXACTLY how zombie movies should be made.
    You seem to forget if it wasn't for Romero's influence on modern zombie films, this movie prolly would have never been made

Last edited by koolmike; 03-19-2010 at 11:29 AM.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

You said "based" in your review. The head Muldoon said it once maybe twice for a second that the reason he wanted to Undead to be kept alive because he was sure a cure would be discovered...and that's where it ends. How you can say Survival of the Dead is based on finding a cure is beyond me.
    The people in this movie were not scientists and doctors experimenting with the dead in search of a cure like Day. That movie was based on finding a cure. These people in survival are "hoping" for a cure. They were hoping the dead would eat a pig or a horse. Get it?

It's based more on the idea of whether or not it's "humane" to end an undead life.
    Muldoon may only have said it once, but he was keeping them alive for a reason, not just because it was humane. If he thought it was humane to keep them alive, he wouldn't have..

Spoiler...
    kept shooting them because they were not eating the pig. Even his assistant, which name escapes me, said, "Mr. Muldoon we're starting to shoot more of these zombies rather then savin em". Which must mean Muldoon is shooting the zombies that aren't eating the pig or other animals that they put in

Which means, Muldoon's "humane" speech was BS and he just wanted..
    Spoiler...
    the zombies to eat other things

So, in that aspect, the movie is about finding a "cure" or making the zombies not hungry for humans, not whether it is humane or not.

Diz mutha F'er got banned!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-22-2010

Member #
    On the neighboring planet across from Nebula M-Spacehunter.
    Threads
    My Mood
    Fine
    Thumbs Up

Death is just fine; it's Romero's movies that ain't what they used to be.

Last edited by Titanosaurus; 03-19-2010 at 11:31 AM.

The Scotsman
    In the kingdom of glass
    everything is transparent, and
    there is no place to hide a
    dark heart

Status
    Last Online
    11-09-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Add Dexter on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag jambodexter
    You seem to forget if it wasn't for Romero's influence on modern zombie films, this movie prolly would have never been made
    LOL - I had to read that twice

However I tend to think that films like White Zombie would've been the precursor to this stinking pile of poo....unfortunately.

I liken SOTD to shagging the most beautiful girl in the world, only to find out that she has a dick.

Hugely embarrassing.

Demon to Some
    grief on this earth when
    there's no peace

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add Darkgod on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Yeah and michael jordan is the greatest player in nba history. If he became draft eligible now, there are way better players. Just cause someone was the reason for something doesn't make them the best at it. You need to earn.... and keep the title.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    Muldoon may only have said it once, but he was keeping them alive for a reason, not just because it was humane. If he thought it was humane to keep them alive, he wouldn't have..
    I never said "he" or anyone in the film was more humane or not. The movie makes the viewer ask that question by the way it's directed....seeing the children in their beds clearly damaged and "dead" yet still kept alive. Their reasons for keeping them alive run deeper than the hope for a cure...much harder to permenantly let a loved one go than to keep them alive even if they've become a zombie. Like I said, they weren't scientists, they were people struggling within' themselves on what the "right" the to do was. That makes it not "Based" on finding a cure.

Don't just look at the surface of a film.

Last edited by koolmike; 03-19-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Demon to Some
    grief on this earth when
    there's no peace

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add Darkgod on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

yeah but in romero's older films, he was talented enough to underly the meaning of the film... this one is kind of in the open

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
    Yeah and michael jordan is the greatest player in nba history. If he became draft eligible now, there are way better players. Just cause someone was the reason for something doesn't make them the best at it. You need to earn.... and keep the title.
    Doesn't change the fact that he was responsible...and yea, Romero was the best at it.

Zombieland was good, not great that's for sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast