Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...

Review: The Thing From Another World (1951)

Normally this site is flooded with discussion and arguments about any horror film from 1980-2012...but it seems a rarity when we return to the Silver age of cinema to investigate one of this planet's classic horror masterpieces. Hopefully, I can remedy this by bringing up some of the great horror movies of all time and raising some kind of discussion. Today I'll start wit one of the great inspirational films of horror cinema, The Thing From Another World by the legendary cinema genius Howard Hawks.

I'll try and save most of my Hawks gushing for some other thread, but let it be known that this man is one of the best of all time, and every director from Hitchcock, Spielberg, to Tarantino owes their career to this early master. Though this was his only true horror flick it still displays his mastery of lighting and atmosphere that the folks of color film making couldn't hope to come close to.

Anyway, the movie starts out like any other 50's horror film in that an unexplained phenomena has occured in an isolated part of the world and a rag-tag team of military men, scientists, and at least one reporter must go investigate it. For such an early entry in the genre it seems to have perfected it and few have improved on it since. Other films (Gamera, The Deadly Mantis, even some of the Godzilla franchise) try to re-create the ice bound menace that is released by man to terrorize him, but none seems to match the tone or danger imposed by this close quarters film.

After we are introduced to the cast of characters, we are immediately brought into the situation at hand where an alien space ship has been found around the North Pole and our team needs to figure out how to get it out and where it came from. One thing leads to another and before we know it an alien creature in a frozen block of ice is being brought back to the nearby base for analysis. Cue the predictable storm that knocks out communications (the 50's equivalent of not having cell phone reception in modern horror movies) and we have a narrow, confined attempt to survive the onslaught of an alien menace.

While of course, this film from the 50's isn't up to our usual 10's (yes folks we are all so old that our current decade is the 10's) gore level, but for its time it presents things nearly unheard of for its time including deaths and even a severed arm! The special effects are the normal 50's tricks used including make up and low grade physical trickery. The real terror in this classic emanates from the director's masterful use of claustrophobic interiors. Complete isolation is what keeps the viewer in their seats. Of course, Carpenter knew this in his amazing re-make and replicated it to his best efforts, but IMO the movie to best capture this "man against beast in an isolated space" sense of dread is Spielberg's Jaws.

The one gripe that you could bring up for this film is that it is most certainly a product of its times. Meaning that the movie adheres to many late 40s/early 50s film conventions including the polarizing topic of continuous dialog. Some find it a charming throwback of the times, others a distracting way of speaking that no humans have ever performed naturally. I tend to waver on either side of the discussion but I do recognize that it takes the viewer out of the submersion of the film and makes it easily recognizable that you are watching and old movie. The whole black and white thing has never bothered me and to tell the truth I almost never even notice it when I watch a movie (if it's good enough).

In conclusion movies such as this need to be watched by our modern day horror fans to appreciate where our beloved genre comes from, sure it may not have the gore or jump scares that the latest Saw may offer, but to truly appreciate where the modern day film makers get their inspiration from to craft some of our favorite modern and classic movies like Jaws, Alien, The Mist, Splinter, and of course The Thing (1982) we need to watch and discuss theses early pioneering films

9/10

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by strtfghtr; 06-09-2012 at 09:59 AM.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Rotting Zealot
    "I do not see why man
    should not be just as cruel as
    nature." - Adolf Hitler

Status
    Last Online
    06-16-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Angry
    Add Oxley on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag General 0x
    A nice review, but I didn't really like this one. Mind you it was very late when it came on TV and I was struggling to stay awake. But it just didn't hold my attention at all. I think I was expecting far, far too much from it after knowing and loving Carpenters. I might have to give it another shot some time down the road, knowing what to expect this time.

"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it."
    -- Mark Twain

KillKaylaDead: Even your body looks like it was hand crafted by the gods.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    lol I wouldn't go as far as 9/10, but it's a solid film nonetheless.

+ Reply to Thread