Last Online
    08-31-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 5

Revew: Sucker Punch

I actually got 2 films from the Library the other day, one was The Human Centipede which I've already written a review for and the other was Sucker Punch, which I had a hold on for a good 2-3 months. I've heard the bad rave about this film, but I still decide to give it a chance (I tend to like a lot films that not a lot of people like).

If I could sum up this film in 2 words, then they'd be this: Wasted Potential. The reason being is that I love the concept this film has, the idea of the line between fantasy and reality smugged. Films like Neverending Story, Pan's Labyrinth and the Silent Hill games are examples of that. Because of that, I WANTED to like this movie, I wanted it so badly. But.....I can't.

I'll first talk about what the movie does right, it's not a total disaster. First is obviously the visuals. Zack Snyder can still make a visually amazng film, give him that, and this one is no exception. The fight scenes looked amazing, and this is once again Slow Motion done right.

Another really good thing about this film is that the soundtrack was amazing. I loved the re-done versions of Sweet Dreams and White Rabbit. With the exception of the rap song, all the music fit with the film and it was a fun listen.

I'll also give props to the actresses for switching scenes and staying in character while not completly breaking character. And in case anyone wants to complaina bout them in these major battle scenes wearing skimply cloathing, I'll point out that the Spartans wheren't wearing much in 300.

With that out of the way.....this should have been in the hands of a better writter, plain and simple. Zack Snyder, for all his talent behind a camera with directing isn't on the same level with his writting and it shows here. The thing that connects the scenes of "reatlity" to "fantasy" is actually very weak and the other thing that bites is who's fantasy it really is.

And then there's the ending....
    Spoiler...
    I guessed early on what the twist was, Shutter Island did it better with the fantasy and labatomy. Also the old guy on the bus to hint that it might still be real, Pan's Labyrinth did that better too.

So yeah.....this should have been in the hands of a better writter, I liked the story but it was poorly structered and written and that really hurt the movie. Hopefully Zack and rebound with Man of Steel and from here on out will keep the writting part to other people. It's sad cause this is was the movie to suffer for it.

My rating is 5.5 out of 10. I menchioned in my Human Centipede review that a 6 is the rewatchability rating so this just nearly made it for me, and that could be because, as said above, I wanted to like this movie. Alas, oh well.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Movie was alright, but didn't expect much from it anyway. Some good action though.

The complex storyline

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10
    hahahaha

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurone View Post
    And then there's the ending....
    Spoiler...
    I guessed early on what the twist was, Shutter Island did it better with the fantasy and labatomy. Also the old guy on the bus to hint that it might still be real, Pan's Labyrinth did that better too.
    Hmmm...

Or, maybe it was actually more than a "hint" that she didn't all-of-a-sudden become sane during her escape from a looney bin.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    He used spoiler tags for a reason Burnet.

I love GORE!
    Laid back

Status
    Last Online
    02-21-2024

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 4
    I just got done seeing the film.....I feel very meh about it.

The visual style of the movie is very unique, and the combat sequences were well stage, but what the movie was missing most, and what 300 had, was thrill. It just felt as if though he was making a film to make one, it wasn't enough passion put into this one. There are nothing to the characters, the story line had you confused, that is until the end, and I just wanted more from Snyder than this, and with it not being R rated (replacing blood with smoke in the war sequence).

Not to compare it so much to 300, but it seems the slow motion stuff was getting kinda tedious in this film, I enjoyed it better in his previous films than I did this. I can say that he is partially to blame for the screenplay, as at the end credits another guy's name was written under screenwriter.

I have to give this like 5/10.

Here's what I did get out of the flick though.

Spoiler...
    It was more like her seeing her entire life before death. And the part about being a guardian angel (narration), I think she would have considered herself sweet pea's, because she let her escape, so she wouldn't have to feel the misery of being stuck there. The story was kinda telling us what happened before she died, or should I say went into a trance. She put that world she was dreaming about into a reality

Along with the spoiler, they seemed to try to be like hitchcock and it failed miserably......

" A little GORE never hurts anyone"

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Burnet will be displeased

UHM's Reverend
    I take what I don't need... I
    crush... You BLEED...

Status
    Last Online
    03-20-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Follow WarBeast On Twitter Add WarBeast on Facebook
    Visit WarBeast's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 2
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Nope. PSN ID Dada Steam ID Don't want to share it. Wii Code Zilch
    I thought the movie pretty much sucked... some nice visuals and decent action scenes.. but overall a lackluster viewing experience that left me more annoyed than entertained...

On a good note.. You can make a drinking game out of the movie... every time one of the chicks lands in a kneeling position with one hand out forward and her head bowed, you do a shot... you'll be shitfaced before the movie is half over...

Plucking Eyes, Sockets Red, Swarming Flies, EAT THE DEAD!!!!!! - Me

"The blackest night falls from the skies,
    The darkness grows, as all light dies,
    We crave your hearts and your demise,
    By my black hand— the dead shall rise!"

+ Reply to Thread