Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcento View Post
    4 in one night, even the missus hasn't seen that much action in a loooong while
    Still haven't beat my record of 10 infractions in one night Thanks FrighT

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Non Horror Draft Winners
    #1 Get Some
    #2 Steelba
    #3 Steelba
    #4 strtfghtr

Have drums will travel
    You're a ship out to sea and I
    am a storm cloud forming...

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Add Lemmywinks on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Zakzombiekiller
    Watch what you want to watch and like what ya want to like.

Why put off until tomorrow to what can be avoided all together.

Being the best shite in the toilet doesn't mean anything other than you're still shite.....-Dexter

Zombiefied Zealot
    Eat The Dead

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmywinks View Post
    Watch what you want to watch and like what ya want to like.
    Fuck yeah

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    20 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Make it 5

Zombiefied Zealot
    Eat The Dead

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 50
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    Make it 5

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 75
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID UzumakiW Steam ID UzumakiW
    I could honestly give a shit about whether the quality is great in a movie, in the end. Good quality definitely helps, but in the end, it's all about stories for me. If it's a great story, but looks like some child made the entire thing out of their Play-Doh, then I'll still say it's a decent movie. It's the same for UG horror. I don't watch UG horror as much as I used to, ever since I first watched Guinea Pig. Won't lie, not much of a story there, but I kind of enjoy watching gory movies too, so it kept me fairly entertained. However, that's all I can really say about a movie like that. The gore looked good, but no real story line. Wouldn't want to watch it a second time because of it. However, I have seen some other UG horror movies with pretty good story lines, like the Red Room series. Sometimes low budget films do have very good story lines because, many of the times, the people making the movie want to put a lot of effort into the movie to see their visions come to life. A lot of the times, big budget films tend to be just some story people shat out just to make money.

"We all go a little mad sometimes"

Demon to Some
    Imagine peace on this earth
    when there's no grief Imagine
    grief on this earth when
    there's no peace

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add Darkgod on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 51
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Chumpstylz PSN ID D_A_R_K_G_O_D
    I cannot stomach most ug horror, but to each their own. I do dig Troma for some reason though.

On a side note I do think people are grouping I independent and underground, man bites dog isn't underground to me. It was huge at CAnnes, is well
    Known by alot of people in the film industy( as opposed to most ug films not). Just because something is cheap doesn't make it underground. El Mariachi cost less then most underground movies, but it's not an UG

UHM Emissary
    “I'm afraid I can't
    explain myself, sir. Because I
    am not myself, you see?”

Status
    Last Online
    10-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Add WickedNik on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 5
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID wickednik
    I'm one of those people that watch whatever. If I like it I like it, if I don't I don't. It's as simple as that. Just because a movie is made cheaply doesn't mean it doesn't have a good story. Look at the bigger budget movies with shitty CGI graphics that looks faker then fake blood you could buy at party city. That is why we're all on this forum, we love horror, look at wooden she said she didn't know about UG horror until joining, and now she's like the queen of it.

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    This quote says it all. <3<3 He is my mentor and showed me where my horror heart lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm View Post
    Everyone pretty much touched on the reasons why I like underground cinema, but I'll give my opinion anyways.

With Hollywood movies, there is no one person making the movie and by that I mean you have the writers version, the directors version, the producers version, the studio executives, the MPAA and test audiences who all have an input on the movie and give us the final result. You have the MPAA deciding what we can and cannot watch, and remove anything they feel is inappropriate since they obviously know what's best for us. The studio executives have their fingers on all aspects of the movie and decide what should be done that will get them the most money. When they have a semi-final product they grab some random people and show them the movie and then adjust the changes based on how they scored the movie. The problem is that these people are not the "voice" of the audience for that particular movie, if you show someone who is conservative, a horror movie of course they are going to give the movie a bad score but they don't care. They've decided these small groups of the people represent the opinions of the populous as a whole and what ever they say they want changed the people behind the movie will change it, for better or worse.

With underground cinema, you get the vision of one person (or in some cases a group of people who share the same vision) , the one actually making the movie. Sure they get input from various sources but in the end they are making a movie they want to make, and one that they want to see and they know that others who share the same interest in movies they do, will probably like it too. Of course there will be people who don't like it, there always are but contrary to Hollywood, independent filmmakers basically tell them to go fuck themselves. They're welcome to not like the movies but they aren't the ones who the movie is made for so who really cares one way or another.

For artistic merit, mainstream cinema has none. I know how everyone talks about how gorgeous such-and-such movie is with all of it's glorious CGI and I will agree it looks good to an extent but for me, at the end of the day its just another movie saturated with expensive computer effects. I want a movie that is visually stimulating to me, a movie that could almost be a piece of art. You'll never see a mainstream flick that looks like Tetsuo the Ironman, or any similar to filmmakers like Jordowsky, Svankmajer, Quay Brothers, Bunuel, etc. Instead Hollywood's idea of having artistic value in their movies is putting colored gel on their lights and slapping a couple filters on their camera to change the hue of the image.

Now there is occasionally a movie that does have this quality like "The Fountain" and "What Dreams May Come" but we see how well those movie did with a mainstream audience...They just blow them off as being "artsy fartsy" and I firmly believe anybody who uses that term deserves to be socked in the eye. (Sorry, I guess that's just the "art-fag" in me taking offense and in general just hating that phrase.)

Then there are the balls-out horror movies like August Underground, Gateway Meat, Gutterballs, 100 Tears, Violent Shit, etc. As someone said these are great movies simply because they have no limits, the only restrictions they have is budget ones. Though most usually find a creative way around these problems and come out with a better, stronger movie that just knocks the shit out of these Hollywood horror films and people like Eli Roth who truly believe that their movies are pushing the limits. Also, without these restrictions we get great horror comedies like "Special Dead" that wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting made because it could at some point in time, in some place offend somebody and we can't have that. Either everyone is happy or nobody can have the movie.

For over priced mindless entertainment I'll watch Hollywood movies, for quality films I'll watch independent ones.

The Pain from Spain
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-06-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Angry
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0
    Preston is a good dude.

Bring on the pain....

My DVD Collection

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Cata was a pro.

UHM's #1 Killer
    Half of life is fucking up,
    the other half is dealing with
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Still is. Like many others, he was also the one to get me started in Underground, before I spread my wings with woodenheart on this thrilling and nauseating UG journey.

"(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshiped.
    Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man." Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle (1962)

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Haven't talked to him in years. He didn't get me into the underground genre, as I had seen a few prior before meeting him, but he introduced me to some pretty awesome ones, and even ones that I still want to watch, but haven't got around to.

diz mutha F'er got BANNED!!!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-07-2012

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenheart View Post
    With Hollywood movies, there is no one person making the movie and by that I mean you have the writers version, the directors version, the producers version, the studio executives, the MPAA and test audiences who all have an input on the movie and give us the final result. You have the MPAA deciding what we can and cannot watch, and remove anything they feel is inappropriate since they obviously know what's best for us. The studio executives have their fingers on all aspects of the movie and decide what should be done that will get them the most money. When they have a semi-final product they grab some random people and show them the movie and then adjust the changes based on how they scored the movie. The problem is that these people are not the "voice" of the audience for that particular movie, if you show someone who is conservative, a horror movie of course they are going to give the movie a bad score but they don't care. They've decided these small groups of the people represent the opinions of the populous as a whole and what ever they say they want changed the people behind the movie will change it, for better or worse.

With underground cinema, you get the vision of one person (or in some cases a group of people who share the same vision) , the one actually making the movie. Sure they get input from various sources but in the end they are making a movie they want to make, and one that they want to see and they know that others who share the same interest in movies they do, will probably like it too. Of course there will be people who don't like it, there always are but contrary to Hollywood, independent filmmakers basically tell them to go fuck themselves. They're welcome to not like the movies but they aren't the ones who the movie is made for so who really cares one way or another.

For artistic merit, mainstream cinema has none. I know how everyone talks about how gorgeous such-and-such movie is with all of it's glorious CGI and I will agree it looks good to an extent but for me, at the end of the day its just another movie saturated with expensive computer effects. I want a movie that is visually stimulating to me, a movie that could almost be a piece of art. You'll never see a mainstream flick that looks like Tetsuo the Ironman, or any similar to filmmakers like Jordowsky, Svankmajer, Quay Brothers, Bunuel, etc. Instead Hollywood's idea of having artistic value in their movies is putting colored gel on their lights and slapping a couple filters on their camera to change the hue of the image.

Now there is occasionally a movie that does have this quality like "The Fountain" and "What Dreams May Come" but we see how well those movie did with a mainstream audience...They just blow them off as being "artsy fartsy" and I firmly believe anybody who uses that term deserves to be socked in the eye. (Sorry, I guess that's just the "art-fag" in me taking offense and in general just hating that phrase.)

Then there are the balls-out horror movies like August Underground, Gateway Meat, Gutterballs, 100 Tears, Violent Shit, etc. As someone said these are great movies simply because they have no limits, the only restrictions they have is budget ones. Though most usually find a creative way around these problems and come out with a better, stronger movie that just knocks the shit out of these Hollywood horror films and people like Eli Roth who truly believe that their movies are pushing the limits. Also, without these restrictions we get great horror comedies like "Special Dead" that wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting made because it could at some point in time, in some place offend somebody and we can't have that. Either everyone is happy or nobody can have the movie.

For over priced mindless entertainment I'll watch Hollywood movies, for quality films I'll watch
    Whilst I agree with a lot of what you've said and respect your passion not all studio produced movies suffer such inteference, if the suits believe in a directors ability then they'll tend to take a back seat and let the film maker/s do their thing. Censory bodies (like the MPAA in America and the BBFC in Britain) do indeed strangle creativity although if a horror film isn't going balls to the wall splatter style then they're superfluous anyway.
    As far as cgi effects and the mongs who appreciate them as technically impressive I'm with you all the way but John Carpenter's The Thing was a mainstream feature that utilised puppetry and old fashioned technique to appeal to the gorehounds so any film... ANY film needs a strong captain at the helm to stay true to the genre, unfortunately horror hasn't really had a prime Carpenter or Craven to create gut wrenching produce in recent years. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog and after the collapse of the Italian horror movement and the subsequent dilution of the Jap Cat 3 films to relegation status mainstream shock cinema is dying on its arse.
    Finally I totally disagree with you that August Underground (and its two shit sequels) represent raw/base horror, they fucking well don't, they mark the absolute nadir of UG film making. Gutterballs was fucking brilliant though
    Overground horror has its place, I enjoy a lot of them but UG will never die and for that, I am grateful.

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    ummm, It was a quote from the former moderator of UG here on UHM. I didn't say this.

Cata will come and copyright infringe my ass.

diz mutha F'er got BANNED!!!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-07-2012

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenheart View Post
    ummm, It was a quote from the former moderator of UG here on UHM. I didn't say this.

Cata will come and copyright infringe my ass.
    I know you didn't write it but I liked it so I replied

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcento View Post
    I know you didn't write it but I liked it so I replied
    ok..

The Stoner In The Horror Movie
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 80
    Cata is a good man... he also got me to watch some.

Non Horror Draft Winners
    #1 Get Some
    #2 Steelba
    #3 Steelba
    #4 strtfghtr

Fresh Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-09-2012

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetimeloser View Post
    On the recommendation front I saw a screener for #12. I thought I was a pretty interesting take on the fake snuff film. It looks like that is all the company does. Too bad some of their stuff is insanely overpriced.
    #12? Fake Snuff? Do you have any info on this film and the company behind it? Is this the twelfth film in a snuff series? Please more info, I must see! Thanks

Last edited by VisitorQ; 11-27-2011 at 08:41 PM.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706