Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 50
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishG3nt View Post
    ...I guess we will have to pay more attention to w00den's updates for da underground flicks...keep em coming!
    EXACTLY...a certain friend commented on some movies I own and said they all looked like her recommendations...I bought them because of this, she has amazing tastes in movies so of course I will go with Wooden's recommendations.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-13-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcento View Post
    Gonna go off topic here but I see a lot of people whinging about modern horror being in a rut. It's bollocks, horror is a timeless genre that will continue to produce great films regardless of the status quo. Sure, horror has its ebbs and it has its flows but you can bet your sweet arse that people have been decrying horror forever.
    Rest assured that in the late sixties the peepz were moaning about horror becoming too sanguinary, then, as the free-for-all seventies films arrived I imagine dullards accusing the genre of attention grabbing antics ala Blood Sucking Freaks. The early eighties would have angered the moaning minnies with accusations of unoriginal slashing output and the mid eighties would have got the goat of the negative nellies by giving them the ammo to attack the trend as nothing more than tired slasher parodies.
    The nineties gave us some excellent horror films but the naysayers will continue to bitch and moan indefinitely. The noughties have seen some brilliant films so the moral of the story is stop fucking bemoaning a timeless genre that will forever produce gems.
    There, I've had my rant now.
    Agree 100%

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Falling Rock View Post
    I'm looking forward to Prometheus as are most. I dont know jack shit about cabin in the woods but its still got my interest. Dark Shadows is something im really waiting on. The Woman In Black looks pretty creepy, and I love me some creepy atmosphere. I myself and looking forward to Lords of Salem cuz its Robs first original script since HO1C. I mean Halloween 2 sorta was but it was a known character (and it sucked). Piranha 3DD will be a fun lil flick I believe. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter has me giddy with anticipation. Knights of Badassdom I think will be great. Warm Bodies sounds pretty interesting. And Theres some cool animated movies coming out with Paranorman and also Frankenweenie which I think comes out this year.
    Which..has all been done before..

Think about it..Prometheus is pretty much a Prequel to Alien. I'm not against that at all, because it's Ridley Scott and he just does amazing things, but it's nothing new. It's a prequel. I can't wait for this film like the next person, but there really aren't that many movies coming out this year that's true horror.

The Woman in Black is going to be PG-13 I believe and it, more than likely, will jump on the band wagon of jump scares. Plus the massive amounts of CGI in the trailer just makes it another "Bring your 17 year old girlfriend to the theater". I could be wrong though. I only saw a few TV spots for it, but it didn't really come off as being something I would be stoked about. But for the horror genre..I guess it is a true horror film.

Piranha 3DD, I think, is going to be over the top. It's going to have a shit ton of nudity and be far from scary. The first one was just an excessively violent action movie falsely labeled as a horror flick. This one will probably stray more from the "horror" element and concentrate more on the titties. I'm awaiting this movie too, but I wouldn't consider it one of my highly anticipated horror films.

I like Rob Zombies early work like House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects, but that's pretty much it. His movies are garbage and the plot for this flick looks atrocious. Obviously I'm going to watch it before I quickly judge, but it doesn't sound like a horror flick at all. It sounds ridiculous.

As for the other flicks..meh..The only ones I can consider me being stoked for is Prometheus and maybe World War Z. Cabin in the Woods is going to be cool, but probably something we have all seen before.

As for me saying mainstream horror is dead, I think it's true. I mean really..what is going to come out this year that will be better than anything in the 80's or 90's? Prometheus is going to be an insanely interesting watch, but it doesn't strike me as a pure horror movie.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-05-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    adam chaplin and where the dead go to die look pretty crazy......ill be checkin them out

Zombiefied Zealot
    Eat The Dead

Status
    Last Online
    4 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    As for me saying mainstream horror is dead, I think it's true. I mean really..what is going to come out this year that will be better than anything in the 80's or 90's? Prometheus is going to be an insanely interesting watch, but it doesn't strike me as a pure horror movie.
    Sad but true. I think I have mentioned this a few times, we will be looking towards the Europeans and the Underground for our worthwhile horror movies.

You never know, some gems 'may' pop up in the mainstream here and there.

The Scotsman
    In the kingdom of glass
    everything is transparent, and
    there is no place to hide a
    dark heart

Status
    Last Online
    11-09-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Add Dexter on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag jambodexter
    It's clearly time to embrace and encourage the independent filmmakers - main stream horror is struggling for new ideas as production companies get more wary over story ideas and the risk of failure.

WWZ is the exception I suppose, it's budget is $200m and that's a huge risk to recoup that on what is a niche market - Brad Pitt obviously will pull in the crowds, but had they filmed it without him - there is no way it would make money.

PA4 will work because people love it, however we need more of the pure blood horror fans to come out and make what they love.

Guys like burntrhodes (sean) - these are the guys who need to praised for making (and taking huge financial risks) the films they do - mostly they make these out of complete love for the genre, so bring on Sickboy.

Horror is evolving - TWD on television proves that...10 years ago we'd have laughed our asses off at the thought of hard core zombies and gore on TV, now, it's the norm. And given it's the norm on TV, it makes it that much harder for the cinema industry to keep up and keep audiences coming through the doors.

Have drums will travel
    You're a ship out to sea and I
    am a storm cloud forming...

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Add Lemmywinks on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Zakzombiekiller
    Haven't bothered with mainstream horror state wise in a long time. Overseas or indie have been better places for me to check out.

Why put off until tomorrow to what can be avoided all together.

Being the best shite in the toilet doesn't mean anything other than you're still shite.....-Dexter

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Mainstream has had a pretty decent start so far, Underworld was fun, The Grey was good, and so was Chronicle and Woman in Black. Not all were specifically "horror" per-say, but def. had elements from the genre. Good start so far, but there doesn't seem to be anything else decent coming out again for a while

Have drums will travel

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Zakzombiekiller
    Out of all of those you mentioned Chronicle and The Grey I have been told I should see but not too sure.

Being the best shite in the toilet doesn't mean anything other than you're still shite.....-Dexter

Zombiefied Zealot
    Eat The Dead

Status
    Last Online
    4 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    Thumbs Up
    But in saying things look bleak there is usually a gem that comes out of no-where each year.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmywinks View Post
    Out of all of those you mentioned Chronicle and The Grey I have been told I should see but not too sure.
    Both good flicks, should def. give'em a look

Have drums will travel

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Zakzombiekiller
    Giving it thought probably will see Chronicle first.

Zombiefied Zealot
    wheelin' and dealin'

Status
    Last Online
    01-26-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sick
    Add aceofspades on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifer View Post
    You are right.

I think horror movies nowadays are all about the scares and nothing about the story, they only look for an original premise and some scare scenes and that's it. A movie needs a story, regardless the genre, with depth and good character. A story where they explore fear in a profound way, where we have something to talk about not just to jump about.
    I really like this thread and the discussion about horror in the '12.

I won't ramble on too much, but I am really trying hard to come up with ideas to make new horror films for everyone to enjoy, and I am totally with you on the "story" part of it. With my film Gun Town, I have created a "family" with a very long history that will be completely revealed in part 2. (sorry for the self promo, but we are very excited about it)

UHM On Call Tooth Yanker
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-15-2012

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Add Destinie2EatU on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    I think over and over what do I want in horror, what can actually hand me a night full of bad dreams. Its so rare to come arcoss anything new anymore. Do I think Horror is dead?? HELL NO!!! Do I think we should stop remaking things?? Ummmm PLEASE!!! Diamonds do come along I can name so many.. it just takes someone who actually cares about the watcher and the fans.. and not about making the money. Thats all I ask for is think about the viewer.. Most the movies I have fell in love with are with no budget and a huge heart for horror..

We're going to get you. We're going to get you. Not another peep. Time to go to sleep.

Yo, she-bitch! Let's go

Zombiefied Zealot
    Eat The Dead

Status
    Last Online
    4 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinie2EatU View Post
    someone who actually cares about the watcher and the fans.. and not about making the money. Thats all I ask for is think about the viewer.. Most the movies I have fell in love with are with no budget and a huge heart for horror..
    Exactly.

Zombiefied Zealot
    wheelin' and dealin'

Status
    Last Online
    01-26-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sick
    Add aceofspades on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    someone who actually cares about the watcher and the fans.. and not about making the money. Thats all I ask for is think about the viewer.. Most the movies I have fell in love with are with no budget and a huge heart for horror..
    Exactly.
    I'm workin' on it guys.

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Horror is evolving - TWD on television proves that...10 years ago we'd have laughed our asses off at the thought of hard core zombies and gore on TV, now, it's the norm. And given it's the norm on TV, it makes it that much harder for the cinema industry to keep up and keep audiences coming through the doors.
    I don't think horror is evolving at quite the pace you may think it is, but a more accepting society as a whole that has changed. The moral compass has changed. Films that are seen today weren't tolerated in the earlier days. Films would be pulled from screens if people felt they were too offensive. Directors such as Hitchcock were pushing the envelope, and in today's society his films arefound to be mild , and sometimes boring films ( depending on who you ask ) . What is rated R today you'd have a hard time finding ( if not impossible ) on yesterday's screens, and television sets

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

The Scotsman
    In the kingdom of glass
    everything is transparent, and
    there is no place to hide a
    dark heart

Status
    Last Online
    11-09-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Add Dexter on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag jambodexter
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    I don't think horror is evolving at quite the pace you may think it is, but a more accepting society as a whole that has changed. The moral compass has changed. Films that are seen today weren't tolerated in the earlier days. Films would be pulled from screens if people felt they were too offensive. Directors such as Hitchcock were pushing the envelope, and in today's society his films arefound to be mild , and sometimes boring films ( depending on who you ask ) . What is rated R today you'd have a hard time finding ( if not impossible ) on yesterday's screens, and television sets
    But, by default, if the moral compass has changed, and society is more "accepting" - then horror must have evolved.

It's how it evolved though - seeing images of dead bodies on news programmes, reality television where a camera crew take you into the heart of a warzone, has dulled our senses to the point where programmes like TWD can actually survive and flourish on network television.

Evolution...it's a scary thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12