My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Apparently the production of this film is a real shit show. Terry Gilliam no longer has rights to his own film

We’re only weeks removed from the triumphant Cannes premiere of Terry Gilliam’s “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.” After 25 years of setbacks, the filmmaker finally was able to screen his film for an audience and have a release in France. But all the while, there’s been this pesky court case looming over his head. And with the most recent ruling, it appears that all the fanfare and celebration will be short-lived. You see, Terry Gilliam no longer has the rights to the film he spent decades working on.

Yesterday, the Paris Court of Appeal ruled that ex-producer Paulo Branco is indeed the owner of the rights, and Terry Gilliam’s film belongs to him. What does this mean for the future of the film? It’s still up in the air. Of course, the film has been released in France, and was seeking US and international distribution, but now that all seems to be put on hold, while Gilliam and Branco continue their war.

READ MORE: Terry Gilliam Fully Explains The Drama Regarding The Rights To ‘Don Quixote’

“The ruling means that the rights to the film belong to Alfama. Any exploitation of the film up until now has been completely illegal and without the authorization of Alfama,” said Branco, in an interview with Screen Daily. “We will be seeking damages with interest from all the people involved in this illegal production and above all, all those who were complicit in its illegal exploitation. We’re holding everyone responsible.”

As mentioned in that statement, Branco now is going to seek damages from Gilliam, Kinology (the Paris-based sales company and producer of the film), Ocean Films, and yes, even the Cannes Film Festival.

“The film belongs in its entirety to Alfama. The film was made illegally. It’s the first time, I’ve ever seen so many people embark on a mission to produce and exploit a film, without holding the rights. It’s a unique case,” continued Branco.

Branco’s son and lawyer, Juan Branco, specifically called out Thierry Frémaux, the Cannes boss, saying, “For me, this is very important because I spoke out publicly about this case with determination and also given the cynicism with which the establishment, Thierry Frémaux and [Minister of Culture] Francoise Nyssen – in a shameful conflict of interests for the latter, responded.”

READ MORE: Terry Gilliam’s Cursed ‘The Man Who Killed Don Quixote’ Is Real And Surprisingly Not A Complete Mess [Cannes Review]

For those who haven’t been following the case through our myriad of articles leading up to the Cannes premiere, Branco claims that a contract he wrote up with Gilliam is still valid. In the contract, Gilliam exchanges the rights to “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” for the promise of funding for the production. However, Gilliam claims that funding never came and he went to seek out a separate financier, and in turn, was able to finally produce the film. Branco says that the contract is still valid and everything Gilliam did after that contract was signed is in violation. That includes the production of the film, the deals sought with distributors, the premiere at Cannes, and the subsequent French release. And now, the courts seem to agree with Branco.

As far as what this means for the future, it’s unclear. As of now, Branco owns the rights and can negotiate his own deals for distribution. However, does this mean that Gilliam (as well as the cast) will promote the film for Branco? Unlikely. Will Branco go after large sums of money for what he deems were illegal activities? Probably. The drama surrounding this film is clearly far from over.

READ MORE: Cannes Says “Cinema Has Regained Its Rights” In Response To ‘Don Quixote’ Ruling

What is known for sure is that those of us outside of France, hoping to see “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” sometime in the near future, will have to wait a while before that happens. If that happens. And for Gilliam, it means that his passion project, that took the better part of three decades to come to fruition, is now the property of someone else. And judging by the comments, that person isn’t going to let Gilliam rest anytime soon.
    https://theplaylist.net/terry-gillia...loss-20180616/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    18 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 101
    The first screenplay I sold, it ended up going into development hell and the film was eventually dropped by the producer. A number of prodcos had read it, and several expressed interest, but I opted to go with the one that seemed most eager to make it, even though they offered me less. I would love to sell the script to someone else since the original prodco is never going to do anything with it, but I can't. They own the rights.

Gilliam's been in the biz a long time. He should have known better. He signed over the rights to his story for financing. If the financier decided not to produce the film, suck as it may, that's their prerogative. Gilliam taking the script to another financier is a clear violation of contract, because once he signed the story over, it was no longer his to make. Branco's in the right here, and every red cent the movie makes rightfully belongs to him.

Zombiefied Zealot
    Majestic ruler of scavengers

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 74