Last Online
    09-17-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Follow Elnino On Twitter Add Elnino on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Support indie horror filmmakers, new company wants to distribute your movie!

Hey everyone,
    Its been awhile since I’ve been active, I’ve been setting something up for us indie filmmakers. We started a distribution company here in Canada and we have our first film being released called “IF A TREE FALLS”. We currently just went VOD with the film and are looking for other feature films to pick up. If you produced a feature etc, you can check out this site and send a copy our way. We represent Canada distribution only and will take care of DVD and VOD materials. We also attend all conventions etc. We basically let you make the deals and choices, we just have the means of getting the films across Canada in stores etc.

http://www.blackfawndistribution.com/BFD-RELEASES.html

We are filmmakers running a distribution company to make sure fellow filmmakers don’t get ripped off by man in suits, and they reap the profits they deserve. Right now we are launching the company with IF A TREE FALLS that you can view online for 3 days for only 2.99! Click “watch now” at the link. We are trying to push this first film and get some support for the filmmakers.

It would be awesome if we got some support from any of you, and again, if you guys have a feature film, etc, we’d love to check it out. Visit our site for more info, mailing etc. Thanks so much for the support...in these tough times we gotta band together. Who here has a feature film made looking for distribution in Canada?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    I do, but we're signed with Raven Banner Entertainment, also in Canada.

Good Luck though!

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-17-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Follow Elnino On Twitter Add Elnino on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Thats awesome! We are signed with them too (our flick IF A TREE FALLS they represent, but we formed Black Fawn Distribution just for Canada), SMALL WORLD!
    We are close with James and Mike. What movie did you guys do?

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Sick Boy (IMDB)

I recently re-encoded the trailer with updated color + sound to vimeo...

Yeah, I got to meet and talk to James a bit at SXSW. Mike seemed really cool too. They've been great to work with. We're currently in the middle of deliverables and they're being very patient. It's not our first time at the rodeo for this part but it's been a while. Thankfully things are a lot better than ten years ago. I can't believe I was able to ship the whole thing to them on a drive the size of a pack of cigarettes. Our editorial ten years ago sounded like a jet plane taking off in the room.

I saw a poster for IF A TREE FALLS just yesterday when I was IMDB/google stalking Emily Alatalo after seeing her in the Dead Genesis trailer. Really small world!

The Scotsman
    In the kingdom of glass
    everything is transparent, and
    there is no place to hide a
    dark heart

Status
    Last Online
    11-09-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Add Dexter on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag jambodexter
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    Sick Boy (IMDB)

I recently re-encoded the trailer with updated color + sound to vimeo...

Yeah, I got to meet and talk to James a bit at SXSW. Mike seemed really cool too. They've been great to work with. We're currently in the middle of deliverables and they're being very patient. It's not our first time at the rodeo for this part but it's been a while. Thankfully things are a lot better than ten years ago. I can't believe I was able to ship the whole thing to them on a drive the size of a pack of cigarettes. Our editorial ten years ago sounded like a jet plane taking off in the room.

I saw a poster for IF A TREE FALLS just yesterday when I was IMDB/google stalking Emily Alatalo after seeing her in the Dead Genesis trailer. Really small world!
    Enough with the teasing !!

Ditto with Emily btw Dead Genesis was a pretty decent indie movie...

If a Tree Falls had good potential, there was something missing though - dont get me wrong, I liked it, just thought there was something absent that stopped it being awesome.

As for Sickboy - maybe the scottish screener gods will smile on me

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    I have a psycho killer flick I'll be releasing, I'm doing an underground film company but I need a distributor, think you guys can pick me up? I can send you dudes the NTSC and PAL versions of it, I'm currently getting the DVD menu finished up and it'll be complete to send out to numerous film festivals and I'll be rockin' out with it.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Ditto with Emily btw Dead Genesis was a pretty decent indie movie...
    13.jpg

The Scotsman
    In the kingdom of glass
    dark heart

Status
    Last Online
    11-09-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Add Dexter on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag jambodexter
    She's on my FB friend list, and very friendly

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    As for Sickboy - maybe the scottish screener gods will smile on me
    Stole the thought right out of my head Dexter. When is Sick Boy going to grace the general public?

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetimeloser View Post
    Stole the thought right out of my head Dexter. When is Sick Boy going to grace the general public?
    The most recent deliverables drama has to do with getting the HDCAM-SR master made. This just hadn't been done yet because the audio (which was being done differed) wasn't quite done yet. We handled the picture post and everything associated with that but audio is actually a very specific skillset, filled with what I can only assume is a degree in the black arts. And we weren't applying pressure to the warlock that was doing us a favor, or trying not to, lol.

Once the tape is made, with all the audio on specific, discrete channels (5.1, stereo mix, discrete dialog, discrete music, music+effects) the tape has to have a QC report made. We went round-and-round at this stage back ten years ago on our first film, this being done by a post facility of the buyer's choice. Tying up a film in seemingly endless QC and fiddling over deliverables is a time honored tradition, at least common back to the early Miramax days, to put off payment. It's expensive, or can get expensive. Again with the favors we had a free, or near free QC pass through Technicolor (and then Fotokem I think) thanks to a friend of my brothers, figuring nobody is going quibble when it's got their letterhead, but we ran out of time with a German distrib waiting patiently. So we finally just had to wrap it up and ship off a drive to our sales company, Raven Banner, so they can take care of the mastering, as this was ultimately the quickest way to get it done.

They're currently in negotiations with a N.American distributor so, fingers crossed, it won't be long now. Plus, hopefully, more foreign markets got interested at EFM which was last week. With the master tape in hand it'll be a lot easier to line up better deals and, possibly, a genre-specific foreign fest. I guess we missed our window here, unless whomever picks up N.American rights just really wants to do one. Once they sign the contract we can't enter it or do our own screenings here.

Actually making a movie is hard work. But it's, at best, half the battle. Actually shooting it and completing that step is maybe 1/3 of what it really takes to make a movie. Finishing post, at least to the point of having a complete film to look at, and you're maybe half way there. Up to this point everything is still at least somewhat in the filmmaker's direct control. Now we're at the stage where we can really only make suggestions and do what we can to cooperate with the folks that can actually make stuff happen. The only thing that greases the wheels is the thing independent filmmakers have the least of...money.

edit: also, keep in mind this is all having to be done where none of this is really a full-time gig for either of us. My brother is the VFX producer on Snow White and the Huntsman at the main facility for the film. So he has to fit working on our film into what few hours that monster production doesn't take plus having a little baby girl with another on the way. I left the facility life a few years ago, moved back to Texas, and just eek along with freelance work here and there these days so that I can stay in Texas and not locked into 6mo/9mo/year-long commitments to other people's films.

It's hard knowing a six-figure gig almost anywhere in the world is barely a phone call or e-mail away, knowing my car has yet another coolant leak and I've been thankfully able to avoid experiencing the American medical industry without any insurance of any kind. But I haven't given up on being able to make doing stuff like Sick Boy and Xtracurricular a full-time deal that actually pays the bills. It all comes down to we just haven't met the right folks ready to exploit what we can do yet (outside a VFX facility).

Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 02-16-2012 at 12:09 PM.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    also, keep in mind this is all having to be done where none of this is really a full-time gig for either of us. My brother is the VFX producer on Snow White and the Huntsman at the main facility for the film. So he has to fit working on our film into what few hours that monster production doesn't take plus having a little baby girl with another on the way. I left the facility life a few years ago, moved back to Texas, and just eek along with freelance work here and there these days so that I can stay in Texas and not locked into 6mo/9mo/year-long commitments to other people's films.

It's hard knowing a six-figure gig almost anywhere in the world is barely a phone call or e-mail away, knowing my car has yet another coolant leak and I've been thankfully able to avoid experiencing the American medical industry without any insurance of any kind. But I haven't given up on being able to make doing stuff like Sick Boy and Xtracurricular a full-time deal that actually pays the bills. It all comes down to we just haven't met the right folks ready to exploit what we can do yet (outside a VFX facility).
    I assure you I was not trying to get up your ass man. Just wanted to put it out there that I am really interested in seeing it and whenever a possible date or way to acquire it becomes available please make me/the board aware.

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetimeloser View Post
    I assure you I was not trying to get up your ass man. Just wanted to put it out there that I am really interested in seeing it and whenever a possible date or way to acquire it becomes available please make me/the board aware.
    Oh no-no, I didn't think that at all. Believe me, this part of the process really sucks. I hate waiting. Thankfully it's not going like last time though. That was nearly three years before we were where we are now. Six years isn't unheard of (I think that was about how long the first Evil Dead took).

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    I'll be sending two copies of my horror flick to Black Fawn on Monday, one NTSC and one PAL. Send me a message for any questions you may have about my film: gorypumpkin@yahoo.com

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

The Scotsman
    In the kingdom of glass
    dark heart

Status
    Last Online
    11-09-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Add Dexter on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag jambodexter
    Thanks Sean - that post pretty much shows everyone how fking tough it is to make a film these days - speaking to Paul and Ben China, they both had the same issues, and still do to an extent, and it always comes down to distro deals.

FrightFest in August this year, down in London - they are still looking for submissions..Sickboy would run riot at it ....

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    FrightFest in August this year, down in London - they are still looking for submissions..Sickboy would run riot at it ....
    Coolness. I just had to send off a new drive with updated files for HDCAM-SR output to Raven Banner in Toronto. Once they've got this tape made it should be a lot easier to guarantee a good showing and worth campaigning to get into something like this. The whole deliverables process is really tedious, expensive and can be frustrating but, thankfully, it's not quite as bad as it was 10 years ago.

For our cast-n-crew I actually loaded up my iMac and FW800 array and set it up in the projection booth at the Alamo Drafthouse, plugged right into their highrez digital projector. 10bit "uncompressed" HD straight to their projector. The array was no bigger than a loaf of bread but last time around, for similar space, took sixteen drives in four full-size PC enclosures and about 20lbs of cables alone, sounded like a jet airplane and was so fragile I got nauseous breathing on it.

Zombiefied Zealot
    wheelin' and dealin'

Status
    Last Online
    01-26-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sick
    Add aceofspades on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1
    As long as I can retain U.S. rights, I may want to talk about submitting my film Gun Town. You can see it at www.guntownthemovie.com

+ Reply to Thread