Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Fine
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ.W View Post
    My top 3 films of the year are definitely 'Looper', 'End of Watch' and 'Dredd'.

I just didn't like 'Prometheus' much at all. I posted my reasons before -

"I liked the actual premise, the links to the Alien mythology and its philosophical context. However, the screenplay is damn lousy. It's a stunning film to look at - real visual eye candy and the sheer scope of it all is magnificent. Ridley Scott is a great filmmaker and he got the very best he could from such terrible writing."

"The characterization is awful. They were all unbelievable one-dimensional characters and I could not believe for one minute that they were scientists. Their dumb illogical decisions just piled up throughout the entire course of the running time. Because of this, the performances suffered from what is a hugely talented cast. The only exception was Fassbender. His character was interesting and his performance was strong. I don't need to be spoon-fed what's going on in the movie but just coherency in the narrative is all that I ask. There is no reason given at all, as to why everything is happening. There are no deep hidden meanings to it all no sub-text to be found just testament to incompetent writing by introducing all these ideas and not giving reasonable explanations for them. All it did was just give a confusing and unsatisfying viewing experience. It's such a shame because this could have been a great film. This had the potential to be a masterpiece."

"What it is though is a good jumping off point for a sequel. Give Scott a good script and this can be elaborated on to expand the universe and all this can be fixed with explanations as to why it all happened."
    I can't be bothered writing a huge ass post but I do agree with a lot of this.

Technically it's a flawless film and shows that Scott has a great eye, but the script is its downfall. I do like that it didn't take the obvious prequel route and show xenomorphs and Scott did his best with the script. The set pieces are impressive but I'd like a sequel that improves on the originals flaws. The blu ray is absolutely stunning.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

UHM's Female Prisoner
    is singing her Grudge Song.

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by shanebotwin View Post
    I can't be bothered writing a huge ass post but I do agree with a lot of this.

Technically it's a flawless film and shows that Scott has a great eye, but the script is its downfall. I do like that it didn't take the obvious prequel route and show xenomorphs and Scott did his best with the script. The set pieces are impressive but I'd like a sequel that improves on the originals flaws. The blu ray is absolutely stunning.
    There are some great scenes that just could have done with being in a better film.

Oxley says it's the best American film since 2000 and is the movie of the century...

clint-eastwood-disgusted.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Scorpion_#701; 12-13-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Rotting Member
    But the sound of you voice is
    enough to rescue me, from the
    fireball at the end of
    everything. As long as you sit
    next to me we can burn.

Status
    Last Online
    02-09-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Fine
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ.W View Post
    There are some great scenes that just could have done with being in a better film.

Oxley says it's the best American film since 2000 and is the movie of the century...

clint-eastwood-disgusted.gif
    Hmmm that's taking it a bit too far.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    9 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Since I have now seen all the new movies I wanted to in 2012 I can work on my top 10 list for the year. This is definitely on it and may actually crack the top 5.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

UHM's Female Prisoner
    is singing her Grudge Song.

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1
    Hmmm that's taking it a bit too far.

Last edited by Scorpion_#701; 12-13-2012 at 06:18 AM.

UHM's Zombie Killer
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Follow Il Duce On Twitter Add Il Duce on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    I missed this mutha but since its hitting DVD/ Blu-ray on Monday i will be getting this since i have gift cards to Best Buy and also cash from X-mas!.

Hey Sweden!
    Drake, we are LEAVING!

Status
    Last Online
    02-06-2014

Member #
    Kansas City, Missouri and Shanghai, China
    Threads
    Add lostforever on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    The script really did need some more work.

Spoiler...
    The movie would've been a lot better if they left in the scene where the engineer speaks or if they had something to explain why the two idiots, one of whom had the mapping device, got lost in the ship.

I hope an extended director's cut or whatever comes out on Blu-ray in the future, but Ridley has said multiple times the theatrical is what he prefers, which is a big mistake on his part.

Looper was pretty damn good.

Spoiler...
    I'm not real big on the TK stuff, but the film was still good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12