Threads
    My Mood
    Sick
    Add aceofspades on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

In a horror film...

what do you look for? Or, what is the most important?

The story, lighting, music score, characters, etc. Tell me what draws you in the most.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    11-09-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Hopefully something new and original. I can usually find something to like in almost every horror film. I love cheesy dialogue, hokey characters and all the eccentricities in 70s and 80s horror. Anything that's absurd and is done with a little style.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    I don't expect anything new or original anymore, so I just hope for at least some creativity behind certain aspects. If that's not possible, then I'm fine with some violent gory deaths to at least keep me entertained for the remainder of the running time

I love GORE!
    Laid back

Status
    Last Online
    02-21-2024

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 4
    Gore and suspense, doesn't have to really have much else, even as far as originality go, but a few surprises would be nice, such as of that in the cabin in the woods...

" A little GORE never hurts anyone"

Rotting Zealot
    MidnightMovieGuy

Status
    Last Online
    06-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Busy
    Follow BooBerry On Twitter Add BooBerry on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    The more the realistic the movie is, in terms of plot, the more eerie a movie can be to me. I love many flicks, but ones like The Strangers and Cujo and Hostel (though slightly over the top there) have a bigger impact when I watch.

Last Flick Seen: WolfCop - 5/10 The Quiet Ones - 2/10 Starry Eyes - 6/10
    Midnight Movie Gay - http://midnightmoviegay.wordpress.com
    Instagram: MidnightMovieGay

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    What draws me in the most would be a solid story. Pretty mucheveryaspect of the film has an important role to play in achieving that goal; lighting,characters, music score etc.

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Zombiefied Zealot
    wheelin' and dealin'

Status
    Last Online
    01-26-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sick
    Add aceofspades on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1
    I appreciate the feedback everyone.

Zombiefied Zealot
    Eat The Dead

Status
    Last Online
    4 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 50
    As strange as this may sound, and obvious, is effort.

Obviously I like well done gore and thought out kills.

I also like a bit of nastiness in my films, but in saying this I love the 70s and 80s period as well.

If I movie isn't gore based I like an interesting story that is told well.

I also can really get into interesting use of colours and lighting. Also am seriously digging the use of black and white in modern films. I cannot imagine 'Singapore Sling' or 'Recompence' in colour.

Nudety if the story calls for it up to and including raw sex.

UHM Emissary
    “I'm afraid I can't
    explain myself, sir. Because I
    am not myself, you see?”

Status
    Last Online
    10-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Add WickedNik on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 5
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID wickednik
    I'm not picky. I would like original, but that doesn't happen much anymore. I love slashers so as long as the character is bad-ass and the death scenes are pretty much constant. I love blood and guts (NOT ALL CGI SHIT), but sometimes there has to be a line drawn, blood and guts can't make up for a shitty movie. Characters have to be likable. Good sound is a must, that could be the scariest part. I've jumped more from sound then anything else. Just don't make long ass talking scenes and have cool deaths and I'm happy

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    7 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    Like WickedNik, I'm not that picky. I'll look at anything labeled ''Horror''. I'm not always going to come away liking it.

But...the ultimate horror film for me has to have gore. Sex. Depravity. The killer has to be massively sick and twisted thus taking out all of his rage onto his victims; by rape, torture and eventually killing them....but even tho dead, some sickness still can be had with the body.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    I don't expect anything new or original anymore, so I just hope for at least some creativity behind certain aspects. If that's not possible, then I'm fine with some violent gory deaths to at least keep me entertained for the remainder of the running time
    This jaded horror relic agrees. If it ain't new and original, then dammit keep me entertained.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by aceofspades View Post
    what do you look for? Or, what is the most important?

The story, lighting, music score, characters, etc. Tell me what draws you in the most.
    What I look for or hope to find in a horror movie for me personally would have to be plot. It's core needs to stay on target and be cohesive or what's the point. I'd rather see likeable characters who may or may not save the day, which is usually better than a film role of whining annoying ass clowns - which the only saving grace to be had from them is knowing that sooner or later they'll be joining the great gig in the sky before the flick is over.

I think score is probably and undeservedly the most underrated attribute to a horror movie. To me it can be crucial to making or breaking a fence sitting flick. Look at what impact the score makes in a flick like Phantasm or the Exorcist or the majority of Carpenters movies for that matter.

Bottom line for me is that i'd like an intelligent plot... something thought provoking... and a flick that showcases a real-world "realism" that the audience can relate to as they watch and think to themselves ...*yep, that's what I woulda done in that situation*

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    11-14-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Daring
    Thumbs Up
    I like the characters of a horror movie. With the lighting, I find a great deal of the lighting to be poor. Reason. it was a small budget movie that needed to hide the tubes that pumps out gallons of blood.

The best type of horro movie I like best, was the movie the Shinning. Good storyline, good characters, and ideal lighting. With horror movies having a small budget, they are always in poor lighting and gallons of fake blood. The other horror movie I like, was The Blair Witch Project, the first one only.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Good story telling brought to the big screen.

If not from the mind of the director than a proper and respectful adaptation of the source whether it be a short story or novel.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Demon to Some
    Imagine peace on this earth
    when there's no grief Imagine
    grief on this earth when
    there's no peace

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add Darkgod on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 51
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Chumpstylz PSN ID D_A_R_K_G_O_D
    First and foremost a good story... U can have the best characters, gore and nudity and it means nothing without a story.

Second, something new and fresh... See Cabin in the woods

Third, something memorable

Zombiefied Zealot
    Eat The Dead

Status
    Last Online
    4 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 50
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedNik View Post
    I'm not picky. I would like original, but that doesn't happen much anymore. I love slashers so as long as the character is bad-ass and the death scenes are pretty much constant. I love blood and guts (NOT ALL CGI SHIT), but sometimes there has to be a line drawn, blood and guts can't make up for a shitty movie. Characters have to be likable. Good sound is a must, that could be the scariest part. I've jumped more from sound then anything else. Just don't make long ass talking scenes and have cool deaths and I'm happy
    I used to be a lot like what the both of the above ladies said.

If any horror movie was on cable I would watch it. Also the same to a point with my buying. I used to just buy from the local stores which had a fairly limited selection of movies. So sometimes I would grab stuff I didn't know anything about but blind buy anyway. I was pretty lucky as I seem to have a good eye for this stuff.

Then 2 years ago I started to shop in Melbourne and had my eyes open to what was available. With this I became a bit more picky.

Finally at the end of last year I started internet shopping. Firstly at amazon.com, but now at places such as diabolikdvd.com as well as a few independent film makers who sold their own products. Now I am very picky with what I buy. Apart from some blind buys, pretty much all of my UG stuff, I like to really find out about a film first now. In saying this a couple of my Melbourne buys were blind ones, these were movies from the 70s and 80s.

I think the advantage of what a lot of you guys do with watching on netflix etc is that you can pretty much watch anything without putting any real money on something so can pretty much watch anything, then maybe buy something if you like it enough. I will do this but only after I buy a new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenheart View Post
    Like WickedNik, I'm not that picky. I'll look at anything labeled ''Horror''. I'm not always going to come away liking it.

But...the ultimate horror film for me has to have gore. Sex. Depravity. The killer has to be massively sick and twisted thus taking out all of his rage onto his victims; by rape, torture and eventually killing them....but even tho dead, some sickness still can be had with the body.

UHM's Pedophile Hunter
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-08-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 22
    My top two things that I look for in a film of any genre are the story and the characters. If either one of these elements are absent, the film doesn't work for me. A great story line can really only be moved forward by great characters, and great characters are just stagnant if they have no plot line to follow. Originality is even better, but that is often wishful thinking.

In horror films, I also look for atmosphere - if the film has a creepy ambiance, I love it even more. Lighting, editing, and sound effects really help create a scene. The musical score can make or break a film as well.

Lastly, the more believable or realistic a film is, the more I enjoy it. The plot either has to be fairly realistic, or the director and cast need to do a damn good job of making an unrealistic plot seem like it could happen.

Check out my Movie Review Blog: http://www.kaysfilmcritiques.blogspot.com/

As well as my Book Review Blog: http://kaysbookcritiques.blogspot.com/

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    Now I am very picky with what I buy. Apart from some blind buys, pretty much all of my UG stuff, I like to really find out about a film first now.
    That's me. If I have enough interest to watch something after researching it a little > trailers > reviews > WOM - then I'll see it, but seriously doubt i'd blind buy. I'm extremely picky about what i'd own.

Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    I think the advantage of what a lot of you guys do with watching on netflix etc is that you can pretty much watch anything without putting any real money on something so can pretty much watch anything, then maybe buy something if you like it enough. I will do this but only after I buy a new computer.
    About right.
    I've only had the Flix for about a year, and randomly checking flicks here and there has led to a few I might not have taken a chance on had they not been so readily available being as an impulse watch.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    11-14-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Daring
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedNik View Post
    I love slashers so as long as the character is bad-ass and the death scenes are pretty much constant.
    It looks like you like a good knife fight

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-19-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I look for believability in the story. If it's something that could happen in real life (Silence of the Lambs, Halloween, The Devil's Rejects), that gives it an extra edge. If it involves unreal elements (ghosts, vampires, etc.), I can still enjoy it, as long as i only have to suspend my disbelief to a certain extent.

I like a memorable, well-drawn villain, especially in slashers/stalker thrillers. I like suspense and a decent story. I like gore, too, but not if the whole film depends on gore (like the Saw sequels). I like an even balance between the gore and the villain/suspense/story element.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast