Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...

Review: Vengeance of the Zombies (1973)

Paul Naschy, the undisputed king of schlock Spanish horror returns in this pathetic excuse for a zombie movie. I enjoy a Naschy movie every now and then like Night of the Werewolf, Curse of the Devil, or the Werewolf vs the Vampire Woman but this one certainly takes the cake as the worst one I've seen. You can almost taste the 1/2 assedness of the whole thing. From the shoddy acting, to the idiotic story, to the unbearably bad makeup. This film doesn't even have the charm that a normal Naschy flick does. It just comes off as "blegh."

Back to the make up for a second, I just want to give a couple examples of how dumb this actually plays out.

Above is a "zombie." Or just a random girl with grey makeup. These zombie women are featured very prominently throughout the entire movie and get a lot of screen time. With so little going on on each scene, the viewer has little else to do than wonder why the hell he didn't spend a few extra minutes to add some prosthetics to the zombie girls.

Here are the many faces of Naschy for this film, he plays Satan, an evil brother with a burned face, and an indian mystic who is trying to bang the female lead. The whole plot is both non-sensical and rushed. It seems like he filmed a few scenes then later thought, "Hmmm I could probably piece these together and make a movie. I'll just have to merge a few of these story elements." It basically is a revenge story where the evil brother was burned by some high society jerks because he was in love with one of their daughters. So he takes it upon himself to learn Voodoo and turn their daughters into zombies to do his bidding and then frames his mystic brother by aluding that these killing were done through his control...er or something. There's also about 6 or 7 sub plots involving the main girl's boyfriend and a police chief and a few of the zombie girls. Also, some business man that's cheating on his wife, I'm not sure it was really tough to keep my brain from going catatonic at this point.

The kills are almost entirely done by having the zombie girlls touch their fingers to the necks of the victims and for some unexplained reason time slows down and the characters are now dead. Simply terrible. There was one cool shot of a masked man slamming an axe into an old guy's face. Other than that there's nothing really that anyone needs to see.

I'm a fan of some Naschy films and of 70's Euro-horror in general but this one just falls flat...avoid it.

2/10

"Vengeance of the Zombies" Film Still
    ooh lookout those zombies are about to get their vengeance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by strtfghtr; 06-09-2012 at 01:33 PM.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Awful movie.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

+ Reply to Thread