Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re

The Last Stand Review

Hello, my name is Mike and I am an Arnold Schwarzenegger fan boy. Although AHnold's (a name which I'm using for the rest of this review) movies aren't the highest caliber, they are still entertaining as hell. How can you not like Predator, Total Recall, Last Action Hero, OR JINGLE ALL THE WAY!! "DASHA DANCA PRANCA VIXEN COMMET COOPID DONNA BLITZEN..AAAHHH!!!" The movies he is in are extremely special to me. He adds a certain bit of "oomph" to every flick he stars in and that's what makes this review so heartbreaking to write. You see, I was extremely excited to see this movie. The trailers weren't always the best, but it's AHnold and he's back! In the trailer he says cool things and fires guns and kills people! Plus it's directed by the fantastic Jee-woon Kim. So, honestly, what the fuck happened?!

Well, I'll tell you what happened. Writing this movie happened. According to IMDB.com, there were up to four writers for this piece of shit. Seriously, four writers. Four writers that needed the phrase, "You wanna play? LET'S PLAY" three times in this movie. No, I am not making this up. That cliche phrase was said three times in this movie. If that doesn't scream mediocrity then I don't know what is. Every piece of dialogue in this movie is extremely cliche. For comedy relief, the word "shit" is used so frequently, that I'm not even sure it's a swear word anymore. We get close ups to various actors going, "shiiiiiitttt" and the audience just laughs and laughs. In my head I didn't know what to think. I thought I was missing something. Then I realized I was in a heavily Mexican neighborhood and the person usually saying those lines was Luis Guzmán, but I digress. The only statements and cliche lines I wanted to hear came from the man himself, AHnold. Every time he said something, hell anything, I cracked up. He was not a let down, but he was given shitty lines. I'm probably going to say this at the end of every paragraph, but before going into this film, I knew it wasn't going to be an Oscar nominated movie. It's AHnold and I understand this, but this is easily his worst written film.

Jee-woon Kim. Ring a bell to any of you guys? Of course it does, I'm on the coolest god damn website on the planet. In case you have lived under a rock next to Patrick from Spongebob, I'll let you in on a little secret. He is one of my favorite directors of all time. He has done many movies including, but not limited to; A Tale of Two Sisters (which was a fucking solid ghost film), The Good, the Bad and the Weird (which is an immaculate heist/action flick that everyone needs to watch immediately), I Saw the Devil (where a guy beats the shit out of another guy with a pole, a record breaking 40-50 times (I counted, but forgot how many times he hit him)). The reason I bring these movies up is because Jee-woon Kim is a sick director. He doesn't direct shit. He has done it all and can prove that can tackle any genre he goes against. I Saw the Devil was one of the most violent films I have ever seen. Most of his films are pretty violent and when I saw The Last Stand was rated R for "Brutal Violence Throughout", I was ecstatic. What I got was pretty much the complete opposite from everything Jee-woon Kim. The violence in this movie was so tame that it could probably have been rated PG-13. The ending shootout (another thing I'm going to vent about) is the only thing that was worth watching, violence-wise. It really didn't feel like a Jee-woon Kim film and this displeases me greatly. Most of the "big kills" were pretty much all done with CGI and even the non-huge kills (that didn't involve someone, ya know, exploding) were CGI as well. The close up knives going into people's legs were all practical, but only lasted a few seconds.

Speaking of the ending shootout, yeah that's pretty much the only thing to watch in this film. The last 30 minutes was the only interesting part of it (kind of like The Avengers). We get to see people exploding, AHnold on a Gatling gun (with a highly fucking annoying Johnny Knoxville that, thank the gods, is only in this film for a scene in the beginning and like ten minutes in the end, spoiler alert, but I don't fucking care) and some cliche lines that leads up to people being dead. It was the ONLY saving grace of this film. The entire movie leads up to this one scene. What leads up to this scene you ask? Well a shit load of talking that is! It makes Reservoir Dogs look like Independence Day. It's extremely fucking boring and the entire time I'm just waiting for AHnold to fucking kill someone. The cops do stupid things (like not shoot out the tires to the car when the helicopter was RIGHT behind it), there are long talking scenes that involve dialogue which we already know, and we get to see Forest Whitaker almost have a heart attack the whole fucking time. His only role in the movie is to swear a lot and look mad. He's pretty much useless, but as I said..this is an AHnold film, I wasn't expecting it to be legendary, but I could have asked for a little bit more action?

All in all, this movie is a giant, boring, cliche. AHnold is the ONLY thing worth watching in this film and even he shows the decomposing effects of his classic "acting". He's often emotionless, but the scenes he's in is just awesome. He does the job perfectly and that's the only way I'll recommend this flick. This movie had a lot of build up (in my eyes), but it just didn't deliver. Every character is a cliche and seeing Peter Stormare trying to pull off a southern accent was just hysterical to watch. All in all, wait for this on DVD. It's a typical action flick, without the action. It's hard to rate this movie because I don't want to sound like an ass and give it a low rating, but I feel a little heart broken. AHnold is one of my favorite action stars of all time and each one of his flicks is extremely special and different, but we have seen all of this before. Nothing is new here and I am extremely saddened to give this flick a 5/10. It's boring, super cliched and only fun to watch when AHnold is on screen.

Also: No pictures in this review due to me typing this up at school and the internet here is slow as balls.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    In regards to Jee-woon Kim I Saw the Devil was probably one of his best films. His "Heaven's Creation" segment in Doomsday Book was lets just call it "interesting" he was kind of due for a not stellar movie. I expect the kind of thing from Arnold but may be Kim's just needed a break from all his awesome before he exploded?

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

Rotting Member
    I... Drink... Your...
    Milkshake!

Status
    Last Online
    01-31-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetimeloser View Post
    In regards to Jee-woon Kim I Saw the Devil was probably one of his best films. His "Heaven's Creation" segment in Doomsday Book was lets just call it "interesting" he was kind of due for a not stellar movie. I expect the kind of thing from Arnold but may be Kim's just needed a break from all his awesome before he exploded?
    A Bittersweet Life and A Tale of Two Sisters are right up there with ISTD too. The Quite Family and The Good, The Bad, The Weird were also fantastic. I have't seen the wrestling one, but have heard it's also good. He's got an outstanding resume thus far.

Which, is why I'm a bit sad to hear this being a boring cliche, but at the same time I was skeptical and thought that it could end up being kind of lame judging by the trailer.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    9 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Once again, this really didn't feel like his type of film

Rotting Zealot
    death to film snobs!

Status
    Last Online
    12-05-2017

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabberhouse24 View Post
    A Bittersweet Life and A Tale of Two Sisters are right up there with ISTD too. The Quite Family and The Good, The Bad, The Weird were also fantastic. I have't seen the wrestling one, but have heard it's also good. He's got an outstanding resume thus far.

Which, is why I'm a bit sad to hear this being a boring cliche, but at the same time I was skeptical and thought that it could end up being kind of lame judging by the trailer.
    It's getting positive reviews elsewhere so you shouldn't just listen to one person's opinion of it.

Rotting Member
    I... Drink... Your...
    Milkshake!

Status
    Last Online
    01-31-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
    It's getting positive reviews elsewhere so you shouldn't just listen to one person's opinion of it.
    I know, I've read a bunch of good ones actually, I wasn't taking this review as the definitive idea of how it's going to be, just not the first thing I wanted to read about it. I'm still a bit skeptical though, have been from the start, I wanted Ji-woon to do something more than an action film for his English language debut. I'm actually gonna go into this one thinking about ridiculous action films, therefore I might end up loving it.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    9 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I don't see how this movie is getting positive reviews anywhere.

IGN - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...3512087b000024 Gave it a 6.0 (okay)
    Huffington Post - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marsha...b_2485885.html (said basically the same thing, ok flick)
    SFgate - http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/articl...nd-4196765.php (said it's predictable)

So, there is going to be a mix. I never said this movie was fucking awful, but it's super predictable to the point where it's barely entertaining. Of course, when I write reviews, I don't mean it to be the OFFICIAL EVERYONE MUST LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY. It's just my opinion and I think I have a pretty good judgement of flicks, so

But the question is, is it worth the $10.50? And the answer is no. Luckily I had free passes

Last edited by DMHead777; 01-16-2013 at 06:50 PM.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Doesn't surprise it's not very good, didn't look very good from the trailer. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it to some extent though, but I won't be paying for it

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    9 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    I'm sure I'll still enjoy it to some extent though, but I won't be paying for it
    I'm sure it will be out to stream/torrent rather quickly.

Zombiefied Zealot
    Preternatural of being, I am
    not me.

Status
    Last Online
    11-07-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Add BigFatOgre on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 18
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag BigFatOgre75
    Hey now, don't bring the Avengers into this. I loved the Avengers!!!! Back on track, if I ever do bother with this film it will be because my dad wants to see it.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    All I know is that i'm a huge Arnold fan and I haven't seen a movie of his in the theater since Terminator 3, so my ass is seeing this.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabberhouse24 View Post
    Well aware I just wanted to keep it recent.

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

Memoirs Of A Suicide...
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads

Visit Renacimiento's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    It is sad to know that the film debut of Kim Jee-woon in Hollywood, is or (supposedly) a film full of cliches, boring and predictable. I have not seen the movie but the trailer as well as this and other reviews, point in that direction.

A director brought from the noses of any part of the globe to Hollywood, should respect himself, to his style, which made him known and respected. That is the least one can expect, since we can not ask that to the Hollywood mincer.

" Perhaps the only difference between me and other people is that I've always demanded more from the sunset. More spectacular colors when the sun hit the horizon. That's perhaps my only sin. "

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    I'm sure if the studio actually let Jee-woon Kim do his thing this would've been a magnificent film.

Rotting Zealot
    death to film snobs!

Status
    Last Online
    12-05-2017

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    I don't see how this movie is getting positive reviews anywhere.

IGN - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...3512087b000024 Gave it a 6.0 (okay)
    Huffington Post - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marsha...b_2485885.html (said basically the same thing, ok flick)
    SFgate - http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/articl...nd-4196765.php (said it's predictable)

So, there is going to be a mix. I never said this movie was fucking awful, but it's super predictable to the point where it's barely entertaining. Of course, when I write reviews, I don't mean it to be the OFFICIAL EVERYONE MUST LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY. It's just my opinion and I think I have a pretty good judgement of flicks, so

But the question is, is it worth the $10.50? And the answer is no. Luckily I had free passes
    And I never said you said it was fucking awful because I never even read your review.

You didn't like it? Cool. I won't be seeing it in theaters unless I get free tickets because I hate paying to go see a movie these days.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    9 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    I'm sure if the studio actually let Jee-woon Kim do his thing this would've been a magnificent film.
    Exactly what I was thinking the entire time. He's an extremely talented director and this is just another Hollywood film. I'm sure it was out of his hands due to being Arnold's big comeback.

And I never said you said it was fucking awful because I never even read your review.

Last edited by DMHead777; 01-17-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    16 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    I saw this last night and pretty much agree with your review except I may have enjoyed it a bit more. I expected all the cliche'd stuff but I really dug seeing Arnold (sorry I meant Ahnold) back in the drivers seat. Knoxville wasn't quite as annoying as I thought he would be so that was a plus and I always love seeing Luis Guzman (I do wish he got Arnold with "The Goat")! Not to mention Jaimie Alexander is gorgeous

The movie had all this build up behind it but it never delivered what I was hoping for. Dont get me wrong, the final battle was good but not as good as it should have been with the previous 90 minutes or so suffering from action withdrawls. I would even venture to say I liked it slightly more than you just from my sheer excitement of seeing Arnold back in action. If I do see this again I don't think I will like it as much.

As of right now it is 88% on Rotten Tomatoes with 18 reviews in I believe that is a bit high.

Last edited by Macready; 01-17-2013 at 06:28 AM.
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

UHM's Zombie Killer
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Follow Il Duce On Twitter Add Il Duce on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    I'm checking out the 10 pm showing but its going to be for free since i have money left on gift card to the movies!.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    9 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    As of right now it is 88% on Rotten Tomatoes with 18 reviews in I believe that is a bit high.
    Yeah..88% on RT and a 7.8 on IMDB.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    I go see Arnold films regardless of the reviews. Not one of his films has ever been Oscar worthy and I never go in expecting anything more than a funny talking Austrian who makes me laugh at times but mostly entertains me.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast