Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    I agree with DM (except about Metallica...they still kick ass today) I hear this ALL THE TIME about how mainstream horror is now shit and it was soooo much better back in the day. The truth is just like any time period there's good and there's bad. There's classy horror and there's schlock. There's low budget, big budget, and there's independent films hitting it big.

Some recent films both mainstream and not that I've enjoyed are:
    Hatchet
    MBV3D
    Splinter
    Laid to Rest
    The Crazies
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil
    The Descent

Shit even movies like Pontypool, The Wrong Turn series, or Rest Stop while not great are watchable and a solid way to kill a few hours.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-19-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Most ideas for horror movies have already been done. And even when writers/filmmakers get an original and different kind of idea for a film, they have to remember that if an idea is unique, that doesn't necessarily make it good.

Filmmakers would have to do what it takes to make any type of film good - start at the basics and write a good script. When writing the story, work in suspenseful moments, but at the same time don't make scenes slow and draggy. A colorful villain, well-drawn characters, sharp dialogue. Try to create scary scenes that catch the viewers off guard. Don't make the story over-simplistic or overly complex (too much complexity usually isn't a problem for horror films, though).

Last of the petty cash
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-13-2012

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    Shit even movies like Pontypool, The Wrong Turn series, or Rest Stop while not great are watchable and a solid way to kill a few hours.
    An atypical infection flick, with a great performance by Stephen McHattie.

One creature, caught.
    Caught in a place he cannot stir from in the dark, alone, outnumbered hundreds to one,
    nothing to live for but his memories, nothing to live with but his gadgets, his cars, his guns, gimmicks...

Rotting Zealot
    Wear the grudge like a crown
    of negativity, calculate what
    we will or will not tolerate,
    desperate to control all and
    everything, unable to forgive

Status
    Last Online
    12-08-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 67
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
    Too many UG directors worry about the shock before the storyline, cinematography or direction and it makes the product look like shit.
    Can't agree with this enough. When a movie has crap effects, no production value, terrible writing and fails to be "so bad it's good", then what are we left with? At least get one of them right or don't even bother!

Zombiefied Zealot
    wheelin' and dealin'

Status
    Last Online
    01-26-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sick
    Add aceofspades on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by deathdream68 View Post
    Most ideas for horror movies have already been done. And even when writers/filmmakers get an original and different kind of idea for a film, they have to remember that if an idea is unique, that doesn't necessarily make it good.

Filmmakers would have to do what it takes to make any type of film good - start at the basics and write a good script. When writing the story, work in suspenseful moments, but at the same time don't make scenes slow and draggy. A colorful villain, well-drawn characters, sharp dialogue. Try to create scary scenes that catch the viewers off guard. Don't make the story over-simplistic or overly complex (too much complexity usually isn't a problem for horror films, though).
    Correct, and this is what makes writing such a difficult task.

You don't write, you create. You get an idea in your head and that's where it starts. Then you have characters. They become who they are from your idea. You have locations. They must be described.

There is a lot to it. Writing is hell because it doesn't stop there. You write your script many times over because there is always something that needs to be, or can be changed to make it better. Everything must flow smoothly in order to keep the audience attention and make it interesting.

I'm currently writing a road horror film. It has a classic feel and is quite simple, but has just enough ingredients to make it worthwhile without overdoing it; a nice little surprise at the end and enough of a twist to give you the "oh, no way" feeling; a dialogue that will make you think one thing, but show you another.

Sound easy? Try it sometime

Love the responses guys, keep them coming. I'm paying attention.

French (s)cum
    The mad woodsman is back...

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2016

Member #
    Threads
    Add walk on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Play with the script and the storytelling. Examples of what I mean? Memento and Pulp fiction. Trick or treat in a way too.

By the fallen one I shall arise...

http://walkelsass.deviantart.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123