Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167

Bullet Ballet {1998}

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163563/

Director: Shin'ya Tsukamoto

Bullet Ballet has a stylized, unreal, grainy, heavily-contrasted look redolent of the true classics of 40's film noir, replete with femmes fatales, chisel-jawed heroes and evil villains, with stunning composition, kinetic action interspersed with amazing, pure silence and slowness, and incredible attention to detail in its use of close-ups. Just like his previous movie Tetsuo: The Iron Man, you could take every single frame of this film as a beautiful image on its own. And yet the style is occasionally so starkly frenetic, so fresh and exciting it's literally breathtaking.

Synopsis:

"In dreams you can kill people and never get caught. Tokyo is just one big dream. It's a dream we're all trapped in."

An advertising executive, Goda, (played by Shinya Tsukamoto himself) on returning home discovers police swarming all over his apartment block: it turns out his girlfriend of ten years has been found dead, having committed suicide. It also transpires that she killed herself with a gun that she had been hiding for a secret criminal friend, who was also implicated in charges of cocaine trafficking. Goda has absolutely no idea his girlfriend was caught up in any kind of illegal activity, so he's absolutely heartbroken and suffers severe emotional and psychological shock and trauma.

However, in the very depths of his grief and devastated bewilderment, he becomes enslaved, obsessed by an idée fixe of owning his own gun, to recreate his lover's death, as he is utterly desperate to know how she got hold of the gun, and why she did what she did – what pushed her to take her own life. But, as a middle-aged salaryman, how would someone like him go about getting their own illegal firearm, if they're not actually involved in the subculture of crime?

This film was like a piece of artwork that comes to life, a beautiful film. One that won't leave my mind..8/10

Source: http://www.mandiapple.com/snowblood/bulletballet.htm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    Floating in dysphoria ...

Status
    Last Online
    09-28-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Follow iamspoonbender On Twitter
    Visit iamspoonbender's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I love Shin'ya Tsukamoto's films, so, you'll get nothing except praise from me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Because the vampire's gonna know, and then we'll know, who's a sissy virgin !

+ Reply to Thread