Dead
    Follow hacknslash On Twitter Add hacknslash on Google+
    Visit hacknslash's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 303
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    I dont know, its kinda got the whole Hammer Horror vibe to it. Plus its got Tom Hiddleston in it
    Isn't this flick rated R too? Man I'm totally stoked for this.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Don't like that chick.. Mia Whatsit.. dull.

HellBound Saint/Damnation Ready
    My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Follow hacknslash On Twitter Add hacknslash on Google+
    Visit hacknslash's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 303
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
    Don't like that chick.. Mia Whatsit.. dull.
    Agreed Shes why i never made it through Stoker.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by hacknslash View Post
    I dont know, its kinda got the whole Hammer Horror vibe to it.
    I thought the same thing. I'm interested in seeing this. It looks visually impressive if nothing else anyway.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    3 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    There are going to be people who love this and people who hate this. The people who hate it might simply be looking for something this movie is not which is a true haunted house scare-fest.

Crimson Peak is vintage Del Toro. It is a beautiful film with unbelievable set pieces and attention to detail that holds true to his best films such as Pan's Labyrinth, Cronos, and The Devil's Backbone. The attention to detail flourishes most with the house itself but the characters and the period clothing wrap everything up in a nice little bow that make this one of the most visually stunning films I have seen in quite some time. The movie is filmed, plays like and looks like a very vivid dream with Del Toro using his immense talent to ensure every single scene looks incredible with imaginative camera angles and amazing usage of colors and lighting.

Driving this whole thing home within the dreamlike visuals is Hiddleston, who is the centerpiece of the movie. He sells Brit as a character who eases through each scene as if he is indeed a real person making Crimson Peak a very real place as he romances Edith with little to no effort.

Without ruining any of the story which is for the most part straight forward, especially for horror movie veterans keep in mind this is walking a fine line between horror and dark drama although boasting more gore than the super shitty Green Inferno.

With that said being a fan of quality movies this is a must watch and the setting alone is perfect for this season. Make no mistake, although I have a hard time calling this a horror flick Del Toro is well aware of this and shows his cards early of what you are in for. The pacing is perfect (just under 2 hours, not outstaying its welcome), the acting is superb, the house is unbelievable and the score is going to be memorable. Outside of some questionable CGI ghosts the effects are amazing and I would not be surprised to see this nominated for costume design and cinematography come February.

At one point in the film Edith (whom is a writer) said something like "I want to write a ghost story or a story with ghosts in it.". I have no idea if it is intentional or not (or the exact line) but the latter part of the quote sums up Crimson Peak in six words perfectly.

7.5/10

Almost an 8...just a hair under an 8 actually. I wanted more of a ghost story, however what we have is one of the best dark, romance flicks I have ever seen.

Last edited by Macready; 10-15-2015 at 07:54 AM.
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-13-2017

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Bored
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0
    Saw this today and my view is similar to Mccready. It's an enjoyable watch but it is flawed.

So the good- It screams Del Toro in look and style which is no bad thing. Visually, Crimson Peak is STUNNING, which, for me, is the strongest thing about the film. The story is pretty straight forward and the cast do a good job (stand out performance for me was Jessica Chastain). There is some suitably creepy scenes and some good tension builds to begin with.

However...from what i've read, the main criticism is that it is not scary, and indeed it isn't. Where Mama to me was more a dark fairytale, this to me is a traditional ghost story. Those looking for a horror and to be scared i think are gonna be disappointed. I also think it is let down by some pretty poor CGI. The final act also felt to me overlong and too silly.

Id say its worth a watch but you wont be having any sleepless nights over it! 6/10

Last edited by linzlu84; 10-18-2015 at 12:54 PM.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    I liked the movie, but the ads for it were a bit misleading---they promoted it as a haunted house flick like The Woman in Black or something, but it's actually more of a dark gothic romance mystery. Because of that most peeps will likely be a bit disappointed with it, especially since it's a bit of a slow burn. However, I enjoyed it. I'll have a more detailed review soon.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    3 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    I liked the movie, but the ads for it were a bit misleading---they promoted it as a haunted house flick like The Woman in Black or something, but it's actually more of a dark gothic romance mystery. Because of that most peeps will likely be a bit disappointed with it, especially since it's a bit of a slow burn. However, I enjoyed it. I'll have a more detailed review soon.
    Exactly what I said in my review of it somewhere in these forums. The movie isn't horror but the quality of what is given to us cannot be denied.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Zombiefied Zealot
    But the world was a tomb to
    me, a graveyard of broken
    statues, and each of those
    statues resembled her face.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag killlkayladead PSN ID xCambria
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    There are going to be people who love this and people who hate this.
    So true, Mac. I absolutely loved it, I loved the story and the characters. It was a fun watch, and beautifully made.

"I slappeth thee! For thou art bitchest, as thine manner of bitchism 'tis known throughout yonder land!" - FrighT MasteR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12