Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433

Halloween short

In the Tim Burton tradition here's some Halloween fun at Christmas time.

My little niece and nephew had recently moved out of state but I hopped in the car with my camera and anamorphic lens to play around with it some more in low/available light and get a nice convergence on why I think I do and like some of the things I do and like.

Halloween, as a kid, was a lot of fun. Moving from the country to "the city" it was this holiday that first taught me cynicism since the 1980s was more or less the beginning of the hysteria over poisonings and razor blades and stranger-danger and all that stuff that made trick-or-treating too dangerous (stuff that never really happened, anywhere, as any kind of significant trend). My niece and nephew live in a fairly idyllic suburban neighborhood but even before I moved back to Texas from Los Angeles I noticed more and more kids and families enjoying this time of year the way it should be, compared to when I'd first moved there or ever saw in my later kid years in South Texas.

...from a filmmaking standpoint it's all hand-held, all Lumix GH2 (stock, un-patched) and my new favorite lens, the Century Optics Anamorphic. I used my Nikkor 24mm F2 as a taking lens which is just fast enough to make this doable. I still didn't have my clamp to firmly affix my Tokina achromat so I couldn't open up more than f2.8 and remain sharp. This put it right at the threshold of being viable. One of these days I'm gonna pick up an SLRMagic 25mm T0.95 which is, currently, the ultimate wide-angle, low light taking lens for any of the currently available anamorphic adapters.

I edited in Premiere Pro and sent the project over to After Effects to de-anamorph and apply some mild LCE (local contrast enhancement) which sharpens up all the little details similar to un-sharp masking but without the artifacts that this or traditional sharpening kernels also add to the image. This is also my first use of FilmConvert which is a plug-in that does physically based tonal emulation of several types of motion picture and still photography film (in this case one of the Kodak Vision stocks).

edit: same video but better VIMEO stream

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 12-09-2012 at 01:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread