07-18-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Add RoadmasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Xbox One Updates Here

Microsoft may force gamers of its next-gen Xbox “720″ to install all games to the internal drive rather than run them from disc, with the new console – codenamed “Durango” – also insisting on a permanent online connection.

New documentation purportedly from the Durango XDK (Xbox Development Kit) and shared by Vgleaks suggests Microsoft is changing the way the next Xbox will load and handle optical media; although the console will have a Blu-ray drive, the help files confirm, it will only be used for installation.

“Every Durango console will have a hard drive, although its exact capacity has not been chosen” the XDK reads. “It will be large enough, however, to hold a large number of games. All games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from the optical disc will not be supported.”

It’s suggested that the installation system is part of Microsoft’s attempt to avoid used games being sold, with per-console activation codes for each title that cannot be revoked or exchanged with others.

Earlier chatter indicated that Microsoft would use an online authentication system for this, and the XDK also mentions the connectivity requirement Microsoft will have of the new console.

“Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use” the document states. “The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current.”

Although the purpose of such an “Always On, Always Connected” system state is described as being beneficial for the gamer themselves – meaning they can avoid lengthy boot times as well as any downtime for system updates – it also could pay dividends for Microsoft’s monitoring of what titles owners are running. Without a connection, the console will presumably not play any games whatsoever, meaning it won’t be possible to install someone else’s copy but avoid the online activation process.

One small saving grace is the promise that players won’t have to wait for protracted installation processes to be completed before they can start the game. Microsoft is apparently working on a system whereby a title can be played midway through the first-time installation, reducing the amount of frustrating delay.

“Durango consoles will have a Blu-ray Disc drive. Disc media will be used for distribution, but during gameplay games will not use content from the optical disc. An installation system is being designed that will allow gamers to begin playing while the game is being installed on the hard drive rather than waiting until installation is complete” Microsoft

Still, limits on used games seldom meet with approval from either gamers or retailers, many of whom argue that since they’ve paid for the title, they should be able to do what they like with it. One possibility, however, is that while authentic the XDK information could be based on old policies.

The Verge claims to have separately substantiated the files, but points out that they date from 2012 and as such Microsoft might have tweaked its approach to copyright and activation in the meantime.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

AKA, Roaduardo
    KTBFFH!

Status
    Last Online
    07-18-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up

Dream Demon
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 5
    Microsoft

"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he receive either"
    -Benjamin Franklin

AKA, Roaduardo
    KTBFFH!

Status
    Last Online
    07-18-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I can see friends deployed on ships really upset at something like this. Pretty much everyone on board every US Navy ship is full of PlayStation and Xbox units. Good way to chill and unwind after a fucked up work day. How they gonna enjoy the new Xbox with this mess? Internet connection is a joke on most of these ships.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    I seriously doubt I'll be messin' with the new Xbox. Barely ever played my 360 to begin with

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Yeah I'm likely out of the console market this round unless some insane exclusives come out, or if Rock Band 4 comes out and lets me transfer all my songs to the new console.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    3 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    I always have an online connection, so none of this really bothers me. I don't see the point of installing a game on the hard drive. I don't remember impatiently waiting for a game to load on my Xbox 360. Now, I have to wait for it to install. Sure it may not take long, but when I eagerly purchase a new game, I want to play it THEN. I don't know, maybe white guy nerd problems.

Otherwise, Durango will be in my possession along with the new PS4. In December, my buddy will have the Wii U (or whenever the next SSB comes out) and I'll have my PC, Xbox 720 and a PS4. I don't plan/need to leave the house at that point.

AKA, Roaduardo
    KTBFFH!

Status
    Last Online
    07-18-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    I don't plan/need to leave the house at that point.

Be careful!

Dream Demon
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 5
    I don't like the idea of needing the console to always be connected to the internet since I hate the idea of the console being reliant on your internet connection. My internet connection is usually good, but still if it were to go out for whatever reason the console would not be able to play any games. Also, if their network were to go down you would not be able to use the console until they get it fixed on their end.

"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he receive either"
    -Benjamin Franklin

AKA, Roaduardo
    KTBFFH!

Status
    Last Online
    07-18-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy316 View Post
    My internet connection is usually good, but still if it were to go out for whatever reason the console would not be able to play any games. Also, if their network were to go down you would not be able to use the console until they get it fixed on their end.
    I'm with you on that 100%. Look how well EA's Sim City release went! Cloud services and networks can't be relied on. I've had problems with EA's servers for FIFA more often than I can recall. Stand alone games have to stay an option. Like I mentioned above, if your abroad or away from any internet connection why should that be a reason why you can't play a game you paid money for?

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    I'm waiting for the day when internet access becomes less expensive. Especially wireless internet access. I can't believe the rates they charge just for a few measly GB of downloads.

AKA, Roaduardo
    KTBFFH!

Status
    Last Online
    07-18-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
    I'm waiting for the day when internet access becomes less expensive. Especially wireless internet access. I can't believe the rates they charge just for a few measly GB of downloads.
    What are the rates down there? I'm paying Time Warner $50ish for 20mbps speeds... something around there.

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadmasteR View Post
    What are the rates down there? I'm paying Time Warner $50ish for 20mbps speeds... something around there.
    Speed doesn't matter if you only get like 10 GB of downloads, which they charge you per MB if you go over the limit. That's what you get with every wireless plan I've seen.

AKA, Roaduardo
    KTBFFH!

Status
    Last Online
    07-18-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
    Speed doesn't matter if you only get like 10 GB of downloads, which they charge you per MB if you go over the limit. That's what you get with every wireless plan I've seen.
    For home internet service?!! Holy shit... I'd starve on just 10GB!

The Rottweiler
    The Hound of Horror

Status
    Last Online
    4 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Add Halcon Loco on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 4
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Hawk Wesker PSN ID KryptixHawk
    I'm not looking forward to the Xbox 720, i'll pass on this for now.

Si usted no puede correr con los perros grandes permanecer en el porche!

Number of Horror Movies Seen- 1,907

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    3 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy316 View Post
    I don't like the idea of needing the console to always be connected to the internet since I hate the idea of the console being reliant on your internet connection. My internet connection is usually good, but still if it were to go out for whatever reason the console would not be able to play any games. Also, if their network were to go down you would not be able to use the console until they get it fixed on their end.
    Unfortunately this is the future. Not to sound like a dick, but we all knew this was coming at some point so get used to it. (stupid) People want everything disc-less. They want to be able to download everything and not worry about clutter? (idk). There are pros and cons of this in my opinion, but the system wasn't broken so why fix it? I don't recall any days where I couldn't access my XBL account because of issues with anything. I've always played online and always been able to log in. I don't see why it NEEDS to be online in order to play a game I wish not to play online.

With that being said, I don't mind if the Xbox 720 required an internet connection, but don't make it so where you need it to play games. It just doesn't make sense. If there was an update that needs to be applied now, then you download it real quick and play your game. They are thinking it will be easier, when in turn it's going to make sales take a nose dive. Not everyone has internet access.

But I think people won't have a choice considering the PS4 will be the same thing probably. R.I.P Gamestop

I'm a disc lover all the way. I love seeing all my games stacked. I still purchase my cd's (if you take a look at my sig, I have 724) and I don't plan on stopping ever.

/rant

AKA, Roaduardo
    KTBFFH!

Status
    Last Online
    07-18-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    R.I.P Gamestop
    These retailers are going to hurt bad if they stick with this policy and don't change it. Why "fix" it? Because they want more control and more profits. People should be able to take an Xbox or PlayStation into a shack with a car battery, power strip, monitor and play. Got electricity and a monitor? Then you can play your Xbox or PlayStation. That's how it should remain. No one has to "get used to it". We just speak with our wallets and not buy the new systems, stick with our old ones and play them if we still want to.

Last edited by RoadmasteR; 03-20-2013 at 01:11 PM.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    3 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RoadmasteR View Post
    No one has to "get used to it". We just speak with our wallets and not buy the new systems
    That's all fine and dandy until they shut down the servers for the old systems. It doesn't help that most games nowadays don't have replay value without the use of online play. They shut those servers down and boom, you'll eventually get bored and purchase the new system. But this isn't going to be with video games dude. Even kitchen appliances are going with internet connections. Soon you will need an internet connection for pretty much everything. I'm sure wifi will be everywhere some day, even on ships and various other places.

So, yes get used to it. Because even if a few thousand people don't buy the new systems right away, they are still going to make a profit. That's also enough for them to not change their ways. It's all DRM from now on.

Last edited by DMHead777; 03-20-2013 at 01:28 PM.

AKA, Roaduardo
    KTBFFH!

Status
    Last Online
    07-18-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    That's all fine and dandy until they shut down the servers for the old systems. It doesn't help that most games nowadays don't have replay value without the use of online play
    Fortunately, I'm one of those freaks that can THOROUGHLY enjoy a game without using it online. Old updates, cool. I still have fun playing my old games.

So, yes get used to it
    Na I'm aight.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    3 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

You don't have a choice dude lol. I enjoy playing my old games as well (along with true gamers everywhere), but you can't ignore the new systems forever. Both the Xbox 720 and PS4 are going to be the same way. So, I don't know what to tell you. Might as well not even make a topic about this if you're not going to purchase it. The pros outweigh the cons. I have an always on internet connection now and don't plan on taking my 360 anywhere if I'm on a trip (If I'm on vacation, I plan on going OUTSIDE :elstare. So, meh whatever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1234567891021 ... LastLast