Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 255
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    what this flick represents.
    I def got that from the trailer though....it seemed more of a "though provoking and about morals/beliefs" than it did an action flick to me.....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The UHM Clown

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    I still say that it's one of the best trailers I have seen in recent memory.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Pretty solid flick. More drama than action though and unfortunately none of the scenes are quite as intense as what was shown in the trailer. Regardless, still a good flick and an interesting look at an extraordinary individual. The way the movie plays out kind of reminded me of Hurt Locker a little since it goes back and forth with the Sniper dude doing tours and coming home and trying to deal with normality. Hurt Locker is still a superior film though. 7/10

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    I don't know, I thought this was more intense than Hurt Locker. The true story angle just makes it more fucked up, like real life is.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    I loved this movie. The drawback for me is it felt as though some of the scenes could have been more. But in the end this isn't an action flick, it is the telling of an American soldier's amazing tour of duty in a war. Most times real life isn't what we are used to seeing in films so when it comes down to it this movie stayed true to it's source. Cooper is absolutely brilliant in this.

8/10

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Macready; 01-15-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Seth Rogan said that this flick reminds him of Nazi Propaganda films...thus Twitter has now exploded.

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/01/2348...-huge-misfire/

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I can see how that COULD be funny if you were at a party or something, but saying it on Twitter when you have thousands of followers? Not a smart idea. Especially since your latest movie wasn't even that good (from what I hear)

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Couldn't one actually say The Interview is basically the same thing...but a comedy? You are dead on about putting something like that on Twitter. Once you click that button there is no reversing what you said.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Rogan

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    I went to see American Sniper with my Dad, then I came back and saw Seth Rogen is getting a ton of shit on Twitter because he said American Sniper looked more like that "Nation's Pride" movie in Inglourious Basterds

American Sniper is not a good movie, it's a bad movie that LOOKS nice and doesn't lend itself to any strong political beliefs nor does it portray anything human about Bradley Cooper playing Chris Kyle, who I'll be honest had no idea who that was until I watched a review about the movie.

I also think it's stupid how people hate on Seth Rogen just because he criticized the movie for being too empty and a nice-looking spectacle at the war on Iraq which was a war that never ever needed to happen and people are still giving him shit because they idolize Chris kyle as this godly untouchable thing, even though all he did aside from saving people was KILLING people in the process.

I watched this movie that felt too long and had way too many damn cliches: making friends, losing friends, arguing with his wife about constant re-enlistments, makes shots, loses shots all the dramatic bullshitting of a Hollywood movie, courtesy of Clint Eastwood who i think has been talking to too many chairs while making this movie.

I suppose American Sniper can be tossed around as just a propaganda movie that thankfully didn't make me feel uncomfortable as The Lone Survivor did, and many of you know I'm very anti-war about anything that has to do with killing and that people who worship soldiers for killing enemies in war only makes American Society into a more hideous society especially when they all come down on someone who criticizes a movie for being a piece of shit regardless if it portrayed Chris Kyle right or not.

I do not think American Sniper is a good movie especially when it gives me nothing to remember it, when it gives me nothing to debate about, when it gives me nothing to really think about other than in war there are no good guys.

Last edited by Toby; 01-19-2015 at 10:39 PM.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    You do realize you are criticizing a movie for being cliche when it is taken directly from a book written by a guy who lived these actual events, right? So now we are calling people's lives cliche? This movie isn't Hollywood-ized to add extra drama or effect. If you notice there isn't even hardly any musical score, Eastwood is on record saying that is purposely done as to not let anything effect the viewers feelings of what is taking place on screen.

The movie isn't for everyone, especially those looking for an action flick as there is none of that here. As for Lone Survivor, Berg took liberties with that story and Michael Bay'd it up a bit. Still a great story in and of itself but the film took liberties with the source material to make it more appealing for the popcorn munching audience.

For authenticity, well the movie is taken directly from Kyle's book. He was there, as many others who were beside him and nobody has ever disputed the content of that book not being factual.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinioin whether it is half-assed, or on some stupid agenda.

As for this movie being a piece of shit, a Cinema score of an A- (which is unheard of) says otherwise.

I have many friends who served in this war. My sisters fiance is still enlisted and a sniper for over 8 years. Although he didn't serve alongside Kyle he stated the movie portrays what takes place spot on. I'm going to take his word over anyone else's who would probably shit their pants and cry for mommy if they were in the same situation and criticize the film for their own personal reasons.

I don't support war but have much respect for those who put their lives on the line to defend us in America and what we live for. Great movie but the bigger picture is even greater men and women serving our country overseas.

**EDIT**

OK so Rogen is saying it was taken out of context and blames the media for making a big deal of it. Hmmm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6503586.html

I just said something "kinda reminded" me of something else. I actually liked American Sniper. It just reminded me of the Tarantino scene.

Last edited by Macready; 01-20-2015 at 06:33 AM.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

It's a shame we live in a world where some people know more about entertainment than heroes like Chris Kyle. The guy SAVED a lot of lives. That's an understatement I know, but the guy was a fucking hero. Toby, you are complaining about the movie aspect, but fail to realize that this shit actually happened. Look passed the shitty horror films for a second and realize that this is a work of facts.

When I originally heard about this film, I didn't know it was about Chris Kyle. I thought it was just another sniper film to be honest. Knowing that these events happened, changes my mind on it completely. I have yet to see it, but damn interested. The guy was an amazing person

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    ^^^^^Agreed 1,000,000,000%.

Last edited by Macready; 01-20-2015 at 12:46 PM.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    I think Chris Kyle is more of a tragic figure who was raised by an abusive father who beats the extremist culture of America into his kids heads to enable them to be "real men" by not dropping the rifle, having his girlfriend cheat on him because he goes away to the rodeo for the weekend (seriously?), then he enlists into the army because the ranch life isn't what it used to be, he picks up a chick at a bar who doesn't need a man but then she swings for him and they get married, then 9/11 happens and he wants to enlist to help them kill as many war criminals as possible while saving people's lives, his wife threatens to leave him if he keeps re-enlisting...this is the plot of the movie and it would have more good in it if it were better written in terms of humanity and the questions there of, which I think Zero Dark Thirty did really well and even that was based on a true story and the way the movie rolled it left its thoughts and opinions to the viewers to think for themselves of what it was like during the finding of Bin Laden and killing him.

I feel like American Sniper could have dove more into Chris' mind and what he was feeling, aside from being traumatized of having killed children or seeing children killed by war criminals, and even with that one line where he tells that vet that he would never want that title of "Legend" the movie didn't support him in that regard because it did not give me enough time to spend with Chris Kyle to know what he was feeling, whether I would've liked him or not, the movie focuses on "story" more than "facts" which makes it a more dramatized version of Chris Kyle than a more human version of his story, especially when we never see his death at the end which is a key part to his story of a vet he tried to help having murdered him would have made it more phenomenal in terms of debate and questioning:

Did Chris Kyle do right in the war? Did Chris Kyle really think taking vets to the shooting range of all places to "heal" was a good idea and would in no way influence the trauma of other vets to kill him in the end? Did the Iraq war really need to happen even after we found out that the WMDs were bullshit? Even after we had killed Osama Bin Laden, did America ever move away from being the extremist culture that it still is today? Is war really necessary? Is killing in general necessary? If so, what does that say about us when we accept killing being necessary? Do we worship death? Do we ignore the worship for something more ideal? Do we care about what's ideal? Do we want to fix the problems there are in our surroundings and even in ourselves? Or do we just ignore anything rational?

Of course with all of these questions in mind which are perfect for discussion, I can honestly say Clint Eastwood, the man with dementia for talking to empty chairs, had no intention of bringing such questions to his direction of this war hero's story which makes it a bad movie because it never lends itself to fleshing out who, what or why Chris Kyle was, you had to have read his book to find that out which is lazy because not everyone is going to care as much when all we see is the torrents of people he's killed and everyone calling him "a legend" so many times you can die from making a drinking game out of it, calling Chris Kyle a legend only by those words and only showing me how many people he's killed and little he saved doesn't tell me how great he was, even if I'm one of those people who deems killing on either side of the spectrum is morally wrong all together.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    What you are asking this movie to be is exactly what Hollywood or someone who isn't satisfied with what they saw would do or say. This movie is made directly from Kyle's own words within his book. Are you saying Eastwood should have added Hollywood fluff and pizzazz to this movie???

Eastwood adding nothing to the movie that is not in the book, exactly the way it should be.

It is based on FACTS that Kyle himself wrote. Not sure what you are talking about asking for that

Last edited by Macready; 01-20-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    What you are asking this movie to be is exactly what Hollywood or someone who isn't satisfied with what they saw would do or say. This movie is made directly from Kyle's own words within his book. Are you saying Eastwood should have added Hollywood fluff and pizzazz to this movie???

Eastwood adding nothing to the movie that is not in the book, exactly the way it should be.

It is based on FACTS that Kyle himself wrote. Not sure what you are talking about asking for that
    The movie is already Hollywood-ized for not giving more depth to Chris Kyle.

In his own words or not that was put on screen, I didn't care about his wife or their family, I didn't care enough about what would happen to Chris Kyle's friends, I didn't care what happened to Chris Kyle because I didn't get to know the man who tells his own story, Bradley Cooper is a fine actor but I only see him as Bradley Cooper and not Chris Kyle, if this is really the only thing Chris Kyle can bring out of his own words from his book, which i have yet to read, then I can only grasp that he's just a very empty individual who was overly-praised by the "patriots" as being a hero mostly for killing torrents of people while only saving a few and losing his brothers in war and...

Yeah, I get that, but just because other people say he's a hero for killing does not mean I or everyone else should agree with them, there's nothing heroic about killing except in fictional media, death and killing in fictional media, while to some may glorify violence much how they glorify the violent lives of the military, I see it as something that gives us a safe view as to what happens when it comes to violence in reality and we would never want this violent stuff in REAL life.

I don't see it as a benefit or a good thing for anyone to praise or celebrate the deaths of anyone because death is a horrible and ugly thing that should never happen to anyone, yes including those rat-bastards in the middle-east who should NEVER have raised innocent people and bully them into a society of hate and death-worship for religious nonsense and should NEVER have caused 9/11 and should NEVER have caused the Iran-Iraq war they should NEVER kill anyone in the first place. Heck I think it would have made the film a whole lot more interesting if we got both sides of the story to raise discussion because discussing things like this makes us smarter, whether you agree with me or not it's up to you and you can consider it, consideration's not the same as agreeing if anything else it's just a nice conversation to have and one that I don't think should never be allow to occur because of controversy's sake.

I'm not asking for a Hollywood-ized biopic of any kind, American Sniper is already a Hollywood-ized biopic because all it tells me is war is hell, children get killed, killing is necessary because it's war and that's how war works because America fuck yeah, death to terrorists, yeah you have trauma but you'll get over it eventually but we don't need to constantly follow you through your trauma and see you over-come because we can only have a running time of 2 hours and 10 minutes because box office.

Zero Dark Thirty was more realistic and was a much better biopic for those who were hunting down Bin Laden, W. was a more realistic biopic about George W. Bush and how he and the Republicans fucked everything up for America, Lincoln was a more realistic biopic (yeah, I know, given that it's a Spielberg movie) but it IS a period piece that's done really well and gives us more insight to Lincoln and what he was going through during the civil war and doing borderline illegal things to get the slaves freed, Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now were movies all about Vietnam, with how hellish the war is and how nobody knew what it was all about and the dehumanizing effects of war all together both amazingly well-done regardless if they were Hollywood-ized they still had more truth to them.

I don't think American Sniper was a good movie in of itself and I don't think it was a good biopic for Chris Kyle, if I had gotten to know more about the hero I'm suppose to understand and root for like everyone else then this movie would've done its job right, but for what it is it's just an adaptation of a real person that felt empty inside.

Last edited by Toby; 01-20-2015 at 04:58 PM.

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Well, you summed up your POV just fine and backed up your thoughts. I however think completely different of the movie and came away with completely different feelings. I certainly don't think this is an "America, Fuck Yeah!" film. We were given a movie that is as true as what facts are known about Kyle (from Kyle himself), nothing else. The other movies you reference may be more in depth based on the amount of material they had to work with...all of which are excellent.

My opinion aside from the movie is this man is a hero and in the end that is all that matters.
    All of our troops on foreign soil should be equally lauded.

Last edited by Macready; 01-20-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Well, you summed up your POV just fine and backed up your thoughts. I however think completely different of the movie and came away with completely different feelings. I certainly don't think this is an "America, Fuck Yeah!" film. We were given a movie that is as true as what facts are known about Kyle (from Kyle himself), nothing else. The other movies you reference may be more in depth based on the amount of material they had to work with...all of which are excellent.

My opinion aside from the movie is this man is a hero and in the end that is all that matters.
    And that's fine. What I'm talking about is why you or anyone else thinks of him as a hero, why should I or everyone else think of him as a hero if the movie doesn't explain itself, if it has no depth then it's empty and meaningless garbage. The only time we EVER get deep into Chris Kyle....is just the ending credits with his real life memorial. That's it. That's the deepest we ever get to caring about the man except it's too little and too late and we're just supposedly forced to care just because it's a real memorial of the real man.

Last edited by Toby; 01-20-2015 at 05:17 PM.

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Maybe with being a husband and father I can read between the lines and not need everything spelled out to me or force fed to me through unnecessary storytelling. I don't mean that in a knock on your point of view but it's the truth. I'm sure any member on this forum or elsewhere can tell you the way you view and feel for things once you are a parent changes drastically.

The phone calls in the movie alone were gut wrenching enough to tell me all I needed to know about Kyle.

Like I said in previous posts, Eastwood went the route of less is more for this particular story.

Last edited by Macready; 01-20-2015 at 06:19 PM.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

The film is now reportedly the highest grossing war movie of all time, recently surpassing Saving Private Ryan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast