Received: 76
    Given: 51
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Chumpstylz PSN ID D_A_R_K_G_O_D
    Quote Originally Posted by koolmike View Post
    Source: CC2K

This made me laugh

Rob Zombie doesn't like to be called "sir."

While living in Chicago one fall, I once stopped at a pumpkin patch by the side of the road to choose a jack-o-lantern. Like most pumpkin patches around Halloween, this one was temporary: a swath of hay surrounded by chicken wire, covered with dozens of pumpkins – and most important, presided over by a wizened, white-trash eccentric.

I picked out my pumpkin and went over to pay. The redneck running the patch had stepped out of a hundred down-home dive bars, juke joints and bait shops. His hairline crept back from his brow, leaving his wrinkly forehead to glint in the sun. What was left of his hair sprouted from the back of his head like a mullet of dried old straw. He wore an old, blue vinyl jacket and tight, faded jeans. One of his front teeth – no bullshit – was missing.

I opened my wallet to pay him and saw I only had a 20-dollar bill.

"Can you change a twenty, sir?" I asked.

"Sir?"

When he said the word "sir," the pumpkin-patch redneck smiled with his mouth as his brow clenched and his eyes flashed at me.

It was daylight out, but there was no one else in the pumpkin patch. It occurred to me to leave. I didn't.

Rednecks believe that there's something special about being a redneck, but here's the weird thing: That's all they're proud of. They're not proud of being working people, because a lot of them are unemployed fuck-ups. They're not proud of being poor, though many of them are. They're not proud of being from the south, because rednecks exist in hulking numbers north of the Mason-Dixon line. A lot of them are proud to be white, but not even racism explains it, and this breed of pride is found in many other social and ethnic groups.

No, rednecks think there's something to be admired, respected and feared in their very essence. They think that because they're rednecks, we should respect and fear them so much that we don't even need to call them "sir." The word "sir" carries with it the condescension of the upper class, and rednecks won't have it.

I'll say this for Rob Zombie's movies: They made me think long and hard about why they suck. I'm about as forgiving and crazy a moviegoer as there is. I adore ultraviolence, and I am willing (to the point of notoriety among my friends) to embrace a sicko vision – but I have little patience for Zombie's first two movies, House of 1,000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects. (I'll reserve judgment on his remake of Halloween.)

My lack of patience for Zombie's movies puzzles me, because they have lots of stuff I usually like:

• A rustic setting.
    • Lots of violence.
    • Sex appeal.
    • White trash antiheroes (a character type that appears in a lot in my own fiction).
    • Walton Goggins.

But it's Zombie's redneck pride that ultimately sickens me. At the center of his freshman and sophomore efforts, he places a trio of white-trash sociopaths who go around serial-killing. The first movie follows a more standard slasher-movie formula – a bunch of hapless kids on a roadtrip get slaughtered – while part two shifts into the mode of a western and follows the three as they maraud around some podunk area before getting gunned down by cops.

Before I go on, let me pre-empt some potential straw-men that may get marched in my direction:

I am not a prude. Like I said before, I love extreme storytelling, and if a filmmaker (or an author) justifies the use of violence (or sex or profanity) of any kind, I'm there. Hell, my favorite Shakespeare play is Titus Andronicus, and three of my favorite movies are Blue Velvet, The Silence of the Lambs and Se7en.

I am not a closet conservative. I suppose this point is tied into my not being a prude, but I don't think movies have to have happy, uplifting or otherwise redeeming endings to be considered good art. I don't even think a movie has to have characters with redeeming qualities to be considered good art. I don't think a movie has to have a redemptive theme or a theme with redeeming qualities to be considered art.

In other words, a movie can be mean, cruel and charmless while still being great art. I usually file these under "Movies I Appreciate As Great Art But Never Want to Watch Again." A Clockwork Orange is an excellent example of a great movie I never want to see again.

But goddammit – Zombie's first two movies just suck, and it's because Zombie and his three antiheroes seethe with the same redneck pride as that old coot who sold me a pumpkin.

Case in point:

In The Devil's Rejects, the three psychos kidnap a random family. For some reason, one of the three rednecks ("Otis B. Driftwood" – oh, how droll) orders two of the family members (the dad and one of his sons) to go with him to where he's buried something. They do, and once the two guys dig up whatever it was, the psycho reveals he's going to kill them both. The two guys fight back, but eventually Otis bests them both. Before he kills them, he delivers this line:

"I am the devil, and I am here to do the devil's work."

Something about this scene pissed me off when I saw it, and it's taken me until now to recognize the redneck pride that powers Zombie's characters. The family that gets killed in Devil's Rejects is exceptionally harmless, flavorless and typical, but while watching them get killed, I couldn't help but think: This actually happens to people. Random, normal, happy people get killed by sociopaths for no good reason.

I myself have considered how depressing it would be to get killed by someone like Zombie's antiheroes. What if a hopped-up redneck knifed me?

The thought lights a bright rage inside me, because as morally dubious as this is to admit, I believe that some lives are worth more than others, and it pisses me off that someone like Otis would enjoy taking my life based on the deranged calculus in his mind that his life is worth more than mine based solely on the fact of his redneck pride and his status as a redneck. By contrast, my life would be worth nothing.

(Side note: Maybe you're reading this and thinking, "Zombie instilled that rage in you – isn't that a redemptive quality?" Perhaps, but read on.)

Redneck pride also drives Zombie’s first movie, House of 1,000 Corpses, which I grudgingly concede is marginally more successful. Certain scenes in it work as funhouse riffs on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre formula, but redneck pride still ruins the overall experience.

To wit: Rob Zombie adores the preternaturally ugly Sid Haig, a talented actor and all-around OK guy from what I know. Haig’s chinless, pockmarked, scraggly head is the centerpiece to Zombie’s first tribute to redneck pride, and what a centerpiece it makes. Haig plays a sadistic old hick who runs a murderous roadside attraction in Bumblefuck, Texas. Zombie introduces us to this character by having him kill two bumbling armed robbers, and it is in these opening kills that we get to see one of the key features of redneck pride: dumb fearlessness.

Shouting down two armed robbers is a good example of dumb fearlessness, but rednecks have it in excess. Stop me if you’ve heard this one, but: Do you know what a redneck’s last words are?

“Hey, watch this!”

Rednecks operate under the delusion that dumb fearlessness is synonymous with courage, when it’s no different than not knowing to come in from the rain or to pull your hand away from a fire.

Soon after his introduction, Haig’s character meets the doomed road-trippers who get killed during the movie. Naturally, one of them makes a wisecrack about how funny his store is, which prompts the following exchange.

Captain Spaulding: I know what your problem is.
    Bill Hudley: What's that?
    Captain Spaulding: Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?
    Bill Hudley: Jerry ...
    Captain Spaulding: Yeah, well saddle up the mule, ma. Slide me some grits, I's got to get me some edu-cation, uh hu hu hu.
    Bill Hudley: Jerry ...
    Captain Spaulding: You asshole!

This scene goes on forever, and it shows us yet another quality of redneck pride: kneejerk sensitivity. It also shows us how redneck pride is a perverse form of chivalrous honor. In other words, rednecks take courage and pervert it into dumb fearlessness, and they take honor and pervert it into kneejerk sensitivity, making them ready to fight to the death for any slight, regardless of its magnitude.

But even that doesn't nail down why I think Zombie's movies suck. There's nothing wrong with making a bunch of sociopaths your heroes. Thomas Harris managed to make Hannibal Lecter a successfully alluring figure, and Harris is a fucking hack. Why couldn't Zombie pull it off?

I submit that Zombie's own redneck pride (or at least his affinity for it) derailed his vision. Oliver Stone made a good movie with two sociopathic rednecks at its center (Natural Born Killers), but Stone does not suffer from redneck pride. Instead, Stone took Quentin Tarantino's excellent script and used it as a vehicle to explore a multitude of themes. He also made a damn entertaining movie.

Zombie spent two movies with his trio of antiheroes, and throughout them both, Zombie shows nothing but unfettered contempt for non-sociopaths and laughable affection for his three antiheroes, going so far as to play Lynyrd Skynyrd's magnificent anthem "Freebird" in its entirety as they ride to their death in a hail of bullets at the end of Devil's Rejects.

I can't stress enough what a god-awful, embarrassing choice that is. Zombie created three characters whose sole animus was redneck pride, and he made them spend two movies screaming and killing harmless people. Somehow at the end of this mess, Zombie felt like he had earned the right to play one the most soaring rock anthems in history as they died. Oh, how fucking quaint. (Remember when I considered the possibility that the rage Zombie had instilled in me was a redemptive quality? The "Freebird" choice negates that, because it exposes Zombie as a fanboy hack who probably showed his screenplay to his friends and said, "Aren't these characters awesome?! I'm a-gonna play 'Freebird' when they die!")

I don't mind that Zombie's first two movies are charmless bloodbaths that lack redeeming qualities. I don't even mind that he populated these movies with sociopaths and fueled those sociopaths with redneck pride.

I do mind that he doesn't know what a hack he is. I mind that he thinks the mere presentation of depravity equals art. It's no different than a redneck who thinks there's something funny about looking at roadkill – and who gets pissed off at you for not laughing with him.

That's redneck pride.

======================================================= ======

Agreed on every point.
    This guys rant is comical at best

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Zombiefied Zealot
    Majestic ruler of scavengers

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 72
    Too many long post to go through. I don't care if he makes another movie or not.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 10
    The problem beyond everything already mentioned is he sort of has this following in a sense that people believe he is/was the next hollywood powerhouse horror director aka John Carpenter, Wes Craven, George Romero, etc.

Yeah, if by that we mean being garbage, and beyond his time then yeah, that's what he is. Difference is those other guys made some contributions to the genre that more people would tend to have a middleground with. You can't really look at Rob's work the same way. It clearly isn't anything people will look back on ,10-20-30 years from now and say 'Rob Zombie was one of the greats of his era'.

You can say that about the other guys I've mentioned along with ones I haven't mentioned.

Rob will likely be looked at as just another guy who made a couple flicks during the remake craze and oh btw, made a remake himself.

Hell I'd venture to say if Joss Whedon got away from the comic book stuff, and the failed tv shows (excluding Buffy/Angel) and really put effort into it.

He'd make a better horror with his own creative control than Rob ever did with his, but likely won't happen since Whedon is a busy guy now.

Last edited by Red; 05-20-2013 at 08:25 PM.

The Russian Dictator
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-21-2014

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Laurie finger fucked a bagel in front of her parents....... I think the world in Rob's eyes is just one big trailer park.

Rotting Zealot
    MidnightMovieGuy

Status
    Last Online
    06-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Busy
    Follow BooBerry On Twitter Add BooBerry on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsu18 View Post
    Laurie finger fucked a bagel in front of her parents....... I think the world in Rob's eyes is just one big trailer park.
    I do stuff like that in front of my parents all the time and we're upper class rednecks

Last Flick Seen: WolfCop - 5/10 The Quiet Ones - 2/10 Starry Eyes - 6/10
    Midnight Movie Gay - http://midnightmoviegay.wordpress.com
    Instagram: MidnightMovieGay

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    Agreed. I do give LoS a lot of shit, but at least it was original.
    I still honestly don't consider LoS a horror movie.

It was nice that he was trying stuff out and while he did make a remake he tried to make it his own. I still like RZ and as Strt said the more filmmakers the better but hey he can always work on other projects and hopefully hone his skill set. Maybe one day he'll come back better who knows.

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

UHM Emissary
    “I'm afraid I can't
    explain myself, sir. Because I
    am not myself, you see?”

Status
    Last Online
    10-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Add WickedNik on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 5
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID wickednik

Re: Rob Zombie "Done with making Horror Movies"

I was hoping for more films of his. Another film like house of 1000 corpses would have been nice. Well that's sad buy he is acting kind of like a bitch .

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    I'm one of the many it seems that didn't like his films. I stopped watching his stuff a long time ago

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedNik View Post
    Another film like house of 1000 corpses would have been nice.

UHM Emissary
    “I'm afraid I can't
    explain myself, sir. Because I
    am not myself, you see?”

Status
    Last Online
    10-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Add WickedNik on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 5
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID wickednik

Re: Rob Zombie "Done with making Horror Movies"

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie

Baron Blood
    Eater of rabies infected meat
    pies

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    I'm one of the many it seems that didn't like his films. I stopped watching his stuff a long time ago
    Yeah, I'll agree there too. Corpses is the only one of his films that I actually rather liked.

A Dr Satan origin story or prequel would be interesting.

Undead Tokugawa shogunate
    Rasta don't work for no
    C.I.A.!

Status
    Last Online
    09-12-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Bashful
    Thumbs Up
    He was done before he started! Ba dum ching

Zombiefied Zealot
    damn status bar...my entries
    are too long for you:dislike:

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 255
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13
    I call bullshit.....he will be back in a year or two

The UHM Clown

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    16 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishG3nt View Post
    I call bullshit.....he will be back in a year or two
    If you are right I hope the Bruins lose game 7 of the Cup Finals in overtime with less than 2 seconds left on a puck that goes in off the post.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

diz mutha F'er got BANNED!!!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    11-06-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Drunk
    Thumbs Up
    We can only hope so.

Zombiefied Zealot
    damn status bar...my entries
    are too long for you:dislike:

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 255
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    If you are right I hope the Bruins lose game 7 of the Cup Finals in overtime with less than 2 seconds left on a puck that goes in off the post.
    mac my friend them ar sum fighting words

instantly thought of this scene!

Quote Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
    We can only hope so.

listen here Mog!!!

Last edited by IrishG3nt; 05-23-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    The UHM Clown

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    16 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    That's what ya get for saying something so harsh!

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Zombiefied Zealot
    Eat The Dead

Status
    Last Online
    4 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 50
    I think what R.Zombie might of meant is that he is going to try his hand at other genres for a bit, but who knows.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    16 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    I think what R.Zombie might of meant is that he is going to try his hand at other genres for a bit, but who knows.
    I think the drama genre needs some more shitty story telling. He should give that a whirl. Something different for him, like a trailer park crack whore who is down on her luck and needs to replace a cinder block on one side so the trailer stops leaning.

Last edited by Macready; 05-23-2013 at 03:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast