Last Online
    08-24-2016

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

The Purge Spoiler Review

The Purge Spoiler Review! Hope you enjoy Dont watch if you haven't seen the Purge yet!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZQWuhRCwcE
    YouTube Horror Reviews and short films to make you laugh:: We Watched A Movie

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    40 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    I agree with most of your review this time but not all of it. The fruit was there for the taking with this idea and they just went a traditional route which made the idea of "The Purge" practically irrelevant.

Everything that took place in this movie took place in other movies which delved into home invasion. A bunch of nut-jobs terrorizing a family. I didn't go into this in the other thread but since you have a spoiler warning I will go into my main issue with this flick here.

I agree with all the stupid plot points, the kids, the boyfriend, and the stupid "twist". However what really got me disappointed was the fact this movie had the potential to be great. The Purge, a night where all crime is legal. This film should have focused on normal, everyday people and not a family hunkered down being tormented by obvious maniacs. Opportunity lost.

It makes the idea of The Purge practically irrelevant. The movie did have some cool scenes like when Ethan Hawke got all bad-ass, but again it was such a walk down a familiar path it ruined the entire idea for me.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0
    I really liked the flick. It was a fun watch, but it did have some obvious cliché and weird moments like you mentioned. I hated the "someone standing behind the fridge" thing. Geez how many times are filmmakers gonna do that??? And how many times was someone fixing to be killed by a bad guy only to be saved by someone off screen? I mean yeah you can do that once, but after that the audience is expecting it. Figure out something different for the rest of the times will ya!

I also agree about the motive for the people in the end being dumb, but that's the point. Its supposed to be dumb, because their are people out there actually like that. It was just a richy rich stuck up bitch mad because the neighbors had more than she did. I think that was some of the point of the movie. You're reasoning and excuses for purging are just stupid. But yet most people did them anyway. Here I am speaking all terrible about the movie, when in fact I enjoyed myself. I enjoyed myself so much in fact that I've heard talk of a sequel and I hope it happens. Theres a 1,000 different stories you can tell here with a completely new situation. You can go more crime thriller, you can go more texas chainsaw. Theres other stories than can be told, and I think they should.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    I liked The Purge...got into it. Nuthin' great that's for sure but I liked EH's performance and those masks were kinda creepy

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

+ Reply to Thread