My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458

BoJack Horseman (2014) Webseries *REVIEW*

I just finished watching the new animated show on Netflix "BoJack Horseman", big shock, right? The thought of yours-truly watching a show where the main character is a horse who's a has-been on a 90s family sitcom going through his crappy life trying to get a memoir written about how great he was?

Oh shut up, you knew I was going to sit down and watch the entire thing! I love horses exclusively, as much as I love all animals in the world, equines are the heart that pumps and the brain that move blood around and think and stuff. Look, I love horses, okay? Probably mad enough to marry one.

Anyway...

It was funny, I watched the first three episodes and it got late and decided to come back to it whenever I could and not wanting to waste any time, I finally got the chance toni--last night to this morning to finish watching all 12 episodes, at first it seemed like it was going to be just a straight ridiculous comedy I would've loved either way and just accept it as dumb-fun goodness I'd defend to the death despite the irony.

Funny thing about the show though...

Yes, it has lots of good comedy, it's in a world I would gladly live in where anthropomorphic animals (or furries) co-exist with humans (FURRIES REJOICE!) so a lot of humor is to come...but even so it's done in a way that becomes genuinely funny, nothing like Ugly Americans or Superjail, but genuine comedy and even that is just the half of it.

The other half, surprisingly, is some very serious drama and it's done with characters you really grow to love in the end, I know I sure did, it even has a lot of scenes that are very complicated, I know deep down I was crying my eyes out as I kept going, I couldn't stop watching the rest of it I HAD to know how it ends.

But it wasn't just for the end, it was because I actually cared about what was going on, specifically BoJack who is the focus but he is definitely not alone when you have other characters like Mr. Peanut Butter a crazily upbeat star of another family sitcom who loves everyone and BoJack even though he's clueless that BoJack doesn't like him (He's basically Spongebob without the terrible annoyance and unlikable-ness), Princess Carolyn who is BoJack's pink cat agent who used to date him but...she's great, Todd who is BoJack's roomie who is also a total slob, and Diane who is Bojack's ghost-writer for his book and whom gets to know the real him.

I love all of the characters, I genuinely love all of them and they never fail to make me laugh whenever they're on screen, I just want to hug them all and keep inside my heart and mind forever.

The writing on this show is very spot-on, watching the first three episodes really draws you in to see more, as it made me do these passed few hours and each and every episode has their own uniqueness, their own thing that makes each of them likable I can't really think of what would be considered a shit-episode I dare say the people working on this pulled a bit of a Breaking Bad on the writing part that kept a consistent flow to the story. Beautifully written, well-paced, it's just great.

The animation is something that's very note-worthy, being someone who LOVES 2-D hand-drawn animation, even though this was mostly flash but they were still drawn to life, it was very good, very colorful, very comforting and it really brought out all the characters' personality especially when it really works well with the voice work (the voice acting is really good in this :3), so it's great as well.

BoJack Horseman is a show I've waited to see become a reality, when I myself as someone who has nothing, can never convince a studio to ever follow in my ring of ideas, and this show giving me more ideas for my own work to follow in terms of telling a great story, it was much more than I expected it to be, even to the point where down the line its end may come off as bitter sweet to most and it is not a terribly upbeat story...

...but it's still hopeful and optimistic, comedy comes from pain and the sadness in our lives, no matter what animal or human you are we all feel the same torment in our lives, and this show gives that in spades while giving itself an ending that fits perfectly even if it leaves me wanting more.

That is truly unbelievable.

Raphael Bob-Waksberg created this masterpiece of a show and certainly couldn't do it without everyone working on it, along with the cast of Will Arnett, Amy Sedaris, Alison Bre, Paul F. Tompkins, Aaron Paul and Kristin FUCKING Schaal who is awesome in everything she's in!

I look forward to whatever happens to BoJack, hope it gets another season, but if it doesn't I'm happy with the show I got.

I highly recommend this show to anyone who may have over-looked this thinking it was a dime-a-dozen comedies that are trying too hard to be something their not, but BoJack Horseman KNOWS exactly what it wants to be, it doesn't need to be like everyone else, it doesn't need to dumb itself down or to make itself gelded (HA! A HORSE PUN!), it's just right.

Give it a watch! I look forward to the DVD when it comes out!

10/10

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    I just watched the first episode and it was really funny. Great characters. Can't wait to sit down and finish the rest.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Solid review

Made me want to see this. Well done.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Just finished this series and it's pretty amazing.

Aaron Paul is a blast to listen to. It sounds like he is having a lot of fun with this show. I love this show because it's a comedy and a drama. When Bojack Horsemen is a comedy, it's extremely funny. The writing is fantastic and how they incorporate animals along with human society is borderline genius. For example, they show a gym where some animals are working out and a Hamster is running on one of those spinning wheel things and Princess Caroline (Bojack's agent/sometimes girlfriend who is also a cat) is seen scratching on a giant post as a workout. It's clever at all the right times.

When it's a drama, it actually hits kind of hard. This is about a horse who had it all and is now a depressed alcoholic. I'm not saying it teaches life lessons, but some of the episodes end on not a high note. It's refreshing to see this in an animated series because everything now is so up beat and random. Bojack doesn't get everything he wants and the show makes it known that life sucks.

I know I mentioned earlier about the voice acting, but the people the creators get to play the parts is fantastic. It stars Will Arnett and has a cast of Allison Brie, Paul F. Tompkins, Aaron Paul, and Amy Sedaris. Plus the other little cameos are great. Naomi Watts and Wallace Shawn have both played themselves in this show. Stephen Colbert, John Krasinski, Olivia Wilde have made appearances. J.K. Simmons, Kristen Schaal and Patton Oswalt also have minor parts.

Overall, I agree with Toby's review. This show is laugh out loud funny, the writing is genius, the animation is fantastic and will leave you with a feeling of both joy and grief. Is it a comedy or a drama? It doesn't matter, point is, it's a really fucking good show.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Great review, DH! The makers of the show announced on Facebook that Netflix is green-lighting season 2!!! WOOOOT!

This show is so awesome! I can't wait!

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up

BOJACK HORSEMAN: SEASON TWO *REVIEW*

BoJack Horseman​ season two was great, just as great as the first season, but much more different which is good.

Speaking as someone who has and still is struggling with his inner self-worth while trying to get on with life, BoJack is a show that is amazingly down to earth and up in the air and down to earth again, it's a balancing act that's not very easy to do and with the most hack writers this could easily have just been another season with just more comedy to make up for the depression that the first season delivered and just make the depression the but of a joke instead to laugh at. But thank the horse gods these creatives know exactly what they're doing to not stoop to that level of shallow.

I've said before that I love this world of BoJack Horseman, yes because I love horses unconditionally, yes because I love animals and interesting people which is pretty much what Furries are just interesting people who are interesting animals, the world where humans and animals co-exist, the funny little jokes that are executed and always hit a cord each time, but what brings it all together are the characters themselves and the deepness that follows, yes even if that deepness comes with the consequence of having to live with depressing and flawed livelihood.

Even as I watched it in someway thinking this will be good but not as good as the first season, there was not such a moment I was ever proven right in that regard, it's a new season and it's going to be different which is the best way of doing a continuation of a story, I'm game for the same thing over-and-over if it's GOOD but too much of it just becomes a slice of pie you'd start to get sick of every time you eat it, with BoJack I was never disappointed and the taste of every slice of pie it gave me was always a different flavor, while familiar it was still fresh, even moments when I knew something was coming it was still shocking to see and spoke to me on a level where deep down this show really hits me where it hurts, but in a good way, this show relates to me and others like me on every level of how life can be so sweet yet so bitter, so bitter yet so complicated, so complicated yet so sad, so sad yet so broken, with all this combined it shapes into optimism.

Any thrill-seekers, or anyone who looks for something entertaining will get a kick out of it but obviously it won't be their favorite if they're the kind who don't like informative entertainment because we live in an extremist age where most people, not all people, but definitely most people don't want thought-provoking pieces of art or exploration of how gloomy and how shitty life gets in the deep under-belly of the surface that paints a happy face of what really is a sad clown on the outside and the inside of all of us, and there is always this fight in movies, books, video games or music whatever kind of art people often fight over what's more important "Information vs Entertainment", in the mainstream film industry and even primetime television we never get anything that speaks to any of us the way BoJack Horseman does. It's a show that people will love or people will hate, but in a way of understanding and as we all know with great art it will not always be understood.

Life has enough drama, which is true, but that kind of dismissive point doesn't fix the drama of our lives, things in real life are never fixed because most people don't ever like to be enlightened on anything that makes them feel any other feeling that isn't happiness, that alone should explain how incredibly important and vital "art" in all its entirety can mean to a person or any individual. Is it a problem that most are never enlightened or never think about anything? I imagine that's up to them to decide. Many of us can be envious of "ignorance is bliss" but those of us who see and understand and think and feel about things are often the most important, the things those of us enlightened come to understand can be both a blessing and also a curse, no matter what kind of animals we are our lives are our own lives and not everyone else can fix them for us but ourselves. That is what BoJack Horseman​ is always about.

It is funny and the comedy is both as weird and comfortingly clever as that of Bob's Burgers or mostly just a nice laugh you get as a treat for witnessing the deep and harsh things that happen it's a breath of fresh air every time and in every episode. It's sheer perfection at is best, it has flaws but that's really the point of it all, it's so perfectly flawed in what it does that most creatives in the story-telling department...oh wait, the entertainment industry...struggle so much to do and the fact this show with all of its wonderful creatives, all of its voice-cast, all of its animators, all of its artists, all of its story-tellers can make this whole thing work is a heart-felt and profound accomplishment. I'm jealous of BoJack Horseman, it makes me wish I could do something it's accomplished, it's a great inspiration even with how feel-bad it gets and its strengths come from that.

I heard Season 3 has been green-lit and I'm very excited. Sure, cynics will start to weigh down that the show might start to blow some hot air, that there's the impending doom that this will be the next season the writers will start to lose their material and only give us a half-measure because they couldn't top the first or second seasons...I say to hell with those cynics and to be grateful and supportive that we even get an animated show of this magnitude. I love all of these characters, I love all the writing, like i said I'm envious of how good BoJack Horseman is and I'll keep saying it, even if that impending doom happens I'm sure that the whole creative team will pull it off with great gusto with whatever they have left in them all to say or do with these characters and this world I still wish I could live in.

BoJack Horseman is a show I'm sure to keep revisiting, like an old friend from distant travels, to hang out, chat, eat, drink, sleep and even to cry with. I can never recommend this show enough for how wonderful it is, how flawed it is, how fun it is, how loveable and adorable it is. Netflix will be the crowning glory of giving all of us creatives and audiences hungry for meaning and something new, while the mainstream is too busy blowing itself to even take notice, they have a beautiful darling in their hands and I congratulate them, I congratulate the creative team behind the show and for all the hard work they put into it, I congratulate all the fans of the show for supporting it like I do and I look forward to seeing more.

10/10

Last edited by Toby; 07-31-2015 at 02:01 AM.

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

Zombiefied Zealot
    "say a prayer, but let
    the good times roll. in case
    god doesn't show."

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Add hommie on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 49
    Awesome review. It trips me out seeing the expressive animal faces acting like people.

The Rottweiler
    The Hound of Horror

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Add Halcon Loco on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 4
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Hawk Wesker PSN ID KryptixHawk
    Sweet review, I'll be checking it out.

Si usted no puede correr con los perros grandes permanecer en el porche!

Number of Horror Movies Seen- 1,896

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Agreed on your second review as well. Very underrated show

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up

Bojack Horsemen Season 3 is the latest installment to this amazingly brutally honest and down-to-earth story of a horse who doesn't know what to do with himself and in this season we see the horse just letting everything go little by little.

Bojack has always wanted to be famous and loved and remembered for whatever it is he wants people to know and love him for...and this whole season is about how anyone could find and take responsibility for their own happiness despite their past, despite the shitty things they've done, things they wish they could have done differently but then realizing they wouldn't want to change it if they could.

You can tell yourself to change and you would still feel the same, it's hard and it's not straight-forward no matter how easy most people thinks it is, but this show, what it's great creator Raphael Bob-Waksberg tells us that prime time or any entertainment or most people never want to come forth and express is the truth about everyone being flawed, imperfect and deluded we all can be it's even brutally honest about how existing in society or being remembered by anyone ultimately doesn't matter.

Todd Solondz could cry and love this show like it's his teddy bear, just like how I love it like a horse plushy.

Sure, it's a scary thought, we don't want to be sad all the time, we don't like to be reminded of how miserable life really is beneath the optimistic or "happy" things that can exist within it...but ultimately no matter how old we get, no matter what we do with our lives or how we live them that everything we've built around to find endless success and struggling to be loved and worshiped my everyone as a profound figure of fame or wealth or power or whatever...all of it is essentially meaningless.

It's like questioning our existence: who we are, do we like anything about ourselves, what is there to love or hate, why doesn't anything work out all the time, how can we fix anything that is terribly broken, what can we do to find redemption, what is anything worth or sacred anymore, do we blame others, do we blame each other, do we blame ourselves?

These are existential questions that Bojack Horsemen never fails to get me thinking and feeling as I'm sure it gives everyone something to think or feel about because that's what is important, because it's about changing and learning and coping with whatever happens around us or what happens to us, to find some comfort or at least better strength than we ever thought possible, no matter how hard it is.

There's one episode where I was tearing up when Bojack is hanging out with his only closest friend, Sarah Lynn, where after she's won an Oscar she doesn't feel any different, she doesn't like anything about herself, not knowing what to do with herself, asking if she's doomed and if all of us are doomed and how it relates to Bojack who only really wanted to make things better with the only person that ever seemed to understand him in that very moment and what happens after that Bojack explains:

"In the great grand scheme of things, we are just tiny little specs that will one day be forgotten, so it doesn't matter what we did in the past or how we will be remembered, the only thing that matters is right now."

In a way, as depressing as that may sound and disillusioned it may feel, it feels more true than anything I could ever get from most things, yes we all need positivity to help us all get through the days ahead and to be thankful for what we have, but also having dark and brutally honest moments even in fiction like this is something we all need too, we take the bad in with the good to learn to let everything go to be responsible for our happiness.

I can relate to everything this show has taught me, entertaining me with laughs, bringing me tears with feelings of hope and sadness, as is what life truly is there is no ever-lasting upward spiral or a never-ending downward spiral, you have bumps along the way and sure while I'm someone who is depressed and dealing with my own anxiety on a daily basis despite of whatever horrible thoughts haunt me, some of you might not be depressed now but you will someday in your lives and how you deal with it is up to you.

That's how getting better works when I, you and everyone changes by themselves and to get better, if we're not responsible for ourselves then who the hell else can be?

Once again, the writing is spot-on, the animation is lively, colorful and full of life and darkness as it should, the voice cast is still keeping it as real as possible.

There are moments of great levity where there's one episode where Bojack is trying to return someone's baby sea horse in an underwater world where the artists really had a lot of fun with it it was compelling to watch as was every episode compelling to watch, I was starting to think there was going to be a little too much filler where some episodes have stuff like a murder mystery and spaghetti but it doesn't feel completely useless and just opens up for some nice laughs before we're met with the sad truth and there's nothing bad about that.

I've kissed the ass of this show for 3 seasons now and I can never get enough of it, I love all of these characters, I love the comedy and drama sensibilities of the show's creator Raphael Bob-Waksberg, I love the voice cast and just how honest and deep this show can really be and the season finale I felt was something like a big release, something that gives it optimism that almost seems like it could be the last we see of our tortured horseman, if it is then it's ended perfectly.

A wonderful show that Netflix should be ever so proud of and for everyone to give it the love and tears it deserves, if this is the last, then I'm glad I was here to see it and learn new and wondrous things from it to help with my depression as well as a life that is hard for everyone.

10/10

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

+ Reply to Thread