This is the 5th IP Man related movie that I've seen and it's also probably the worst. Herman Yau returns to direct after helming the prequel (The Legend is Born: IP Man) which I thought was alright. This film is basically a combination of the first two IP Man films that starred Donnie Yen, but molded into one and stars Anthony Wong as the Grandmaster himself. Anthony is a great actor and all, but the dude is no Donnie Yen and it clearly shows in the forced/altered movements.

Aside from the casting, the film had a number of issues, from the bad narration, sloppy editing to the dull characters and tired story. I found myself fast-forwarding several scenes just to get to some fighting. The fighting itself wasn't even all that great. Even though they were using Wing Chung, it just didn't seem to flow as good or be as awe inspiring as I've seen it in the past. I think that's just due to Anthony Wong being miscast. Either way, whether you're a fan of the IP Man storyline or not, I'd advise skipping this and just watching the Donnie Yen versions or The Grandmaster, which was at least visually stunning and had a great story.

5/10

http://imdb.com/title/tt2495118/

For those curious here are my ratings for all the IP Man films I've seen

IP Man (2008) 8/10
IP Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster (2010) 7/10
The Legend is Born: IP Man (2010) 6/10
The Grandmaster (2013) 7/10
IP Man: The Final Fight 5/10