Member #
    Threads

Visit IAmMrJam's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag I Am Mr Jam PSN ID IAmMrJam

Would it be too ambitious of me to try and make my own full length horror film?

Hello everyone! Before anyone wonders, I'm not posting this to beg for money for a kickstarer or anything, i simply wish to gather some opinions on my latest goal.

I've always been into creating films, back when i was a child i made countless small animations on paint and Windows movie maker and ect, and the thought of making a real film has always interested me. I did however, study Film Studies in college, so i have a very basic, passable knowledge of how to shoot a film, and some of the rules surrounding it. But last week i became determined to make my own film.

I was watching a British horror film, and i was stuck by how bad the writing was, and how ridiculous the plot seemed, and like many others i found myself uttering "I could do better than this." But after the film finished, i did a little research and found that it had apparently been made on a £5,000 budget, which changed my entire perception of the movie, and made me appreciate what they managed with such a small budget, but then again... regardless of the budget there's no excuse for terrible writing in a film. Nevertheless, seeing that the film had apparently been made on such a small budget made me wonder if i actually could make something of similar standard, perhaps with an even smaller budget. Without wanting to sound 'big headed' I'm confident that I could at least WRITE a better screenplay. Back in college I created a screenplay based off of one of my novels and managed quite a good grade.

I've got an idea for a film, and I figure it wouldn't need much of a budget, or much of a cast. I decided to develop one of the books that I've wrote, and went for something that could be completely shot on a budget, I.E without the need for sets, countless locations and a huge cast. I've began working on a small personal script to try and see if it would be atleast possible to create this film with an extremely small budget, and all seems good so far!

But one thing I'm worried about is my abundant lack of experience and funds. I honestly want to make a GOOD film that people will enjoy to watch, but i fear that people wouldn't take me seriously. I don't want people to think that i'm some stupid teenager with a camera trying to shoot a home movie, I want to create something respectable. I just don't know how to go about it. Right now, the plan is to get this script sorted, buy a decent camera and then produce a professional looking screenplay. But after that, I'm completely lost for ideas. The film itself isn't a teenage slasher, so i would need genuine 'actors' or atleast adults willing to act, but as i mentioned, with no budget I wouldn't be able to afford to hire people or anything.

I know I've written a lot, and since i've been awake for far too long i probably might have missed a few points with this post, but I wanted to explain what I've been planning with people who're likely to appreciate where i'm coming from, and hopefully can provide some honest advice.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Zombiefied Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 48
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmMrJam View Post
    I was watching a British horror film, and i was stuck by how bad the writing was, and how ridiculous the plot seemed, and like many others i found myself uttering "I could do better than this."
    You were watching Kill List weren't you?

I hope you end up making your movie. You should go for it.

Rotting Zealot
    I'm always checking the site,
    even if i'm not online :)

Status
    Last Online
    10-25-2014

Member #
    Threads

Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Nope, a little film called 'Slasher House'

Memoirs Of A Suicide...
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads

Visit Renacimiento's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by †Cemetery Man† View Post
    I hope you're kidding....

I honestly want to make a GOOD film that people will enjoy to watch, but i fear that people wouldn't take me seriously. I don't want people to think that i'm some stupid teenager with a camera trying to shoot a home movie, I want to create something respectable.
    Just be true to yourself and your ideas, and try to do it the best way possible, you and no one can anticipate a result, just be true to yourself, if it turns out well .. perfect and if not at least your conscience will be calm.

But never worry about what others may think, if you are faithful and honest to yourself and your idea no one can criticize you for that. Leave those preconceptions aside and make your movie. Good Luck.

" Perhaps the only difference between me and other people is that I've always demanded more from the sunset. More spectacular colors when the sun hit the horizon. That's perhaps my only sin. "

Rotting Zealot
    bears, beets, battlestar
    galactica

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 40
    Depends on how much of a novice you are. You say you took a few film classes. I recommend making a lot of short films before diving into the huge task of a feature. Even a single location feature. Shorts are meant to hone the craft. Experiment with lighting, composition, blocking actors, talking to actors, etc.

Film is like anything else. You wouldn't release an album if you just started playing guitar. Takes practice, which is what shorts are.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by choptop2; 08-24-2013 at 06:03 AM.

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Remember too that you don't have to go out and shoot it in one weekend, some folks films take years to finish. I say go for it, can't be worse than some of the crap I've watched over the years.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    Quote Originally Posted by †Cemetery Man† View Post

But seriously what Chop and Strt said hits the nail on the head.

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

Rotting Zealot
    I'm always checking the site,
    even if i'm not online :)

Status
    Last Online
    10-25-2014

Member #
    Threads

Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Thanks for the advice everyone, i genuinely really appreciate the fact that you've taken the time to read my post and help me out I'm going to take my time perfecting a screenplay whilst saving up some funds for a camera to begin to practice film making.

I actually had a go at creating a little handheld ghost film on an old Camera today, I'm happy with what i made, considering it was literally just me and my girlfriend doing it.

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-07-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2
    I'm happy with what i made, considering it was literally just me and my girlfriend doing it.
    I've made those kinds of movies as well. I guess some people would consider them "Horror".

Mrs. UHM
    Nothing to Report

Status
    Last Online
    10-31-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Follow Jen On Twitter Add Jen on Facebook
    Visit Jen's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 3
    My favorite advice? Y.O.L.O!!!

"movie night wit jen, who straight outta da pen, aint finished college, but gotta thirst for knowledge, she lookin to be schooled wit dozens of flix and i be her teacher throwin hit after hit" - FrighT MasteR

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-04-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Daring
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Go for it man. Make many small three or for minute films to get some tech down and to play with themes.

+ Reply to Thread