My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    That quote is pretty idiotic to be honest. Has to be from a 12 year old that is in the prime of his puberty and needs non-stop action to keep his barely functioning brain from making him fall asleep.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    That quote is pretty idiotic to be honest. Has to be from a 12 year old that is in the prime of his puberty and needs non-stop action to keep his barely functioning brain from making him fall asleep.
    Boring drama is boring. Just like boring action is boring.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    25 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
    Boring drama is boring. Just like boring action is boring.
    A new show diving right in to action to appease people who have short attention spans is silly. They are building their show up as they should. Was it slow, yes but it was interesting to see how this all begins and to get introduced to the main characters.

Big difference between slow and boring.

On a side note it was the most watched cable TV debut ever

Last edited by Macready; 08-25-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    Just got TWD season 5............how dare they put an ad for this program in it

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

A new show diving right in to action to appease people who have short attention spans is silly.
    Sounds like Z Nation on the SyFY channel might be more orlok's speed

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    A new show diving right in to action to appease people who have short attention spans is silly.
    That wasn't my point. Slow build stuff is fine to me so long as it's interesting. I actually prefer it if it doesn't start off with an action scene as that is overdone and a cheap way to get an audience's attention.

Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    Sounds like Z Nation on the SyFY channel might be more orlok's speed
    Sometimes it's better to root for the underdog.

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 107
    I thought it was pretty good, and I can see a decent amount of potential for the series. Slow burn like others said, but that was to be expected.

Last edited by Solo; 08-26-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    So, im half way through episode 2 and there's something that keeps poking my brain. I dont know what it is, but there's just something weird about this show. Rushed? Not well produced? Realistic?
    I dont know if its just the nit picks i have, or if its something substantial.

Spoiler...
    So for instance, this kid is going through withdraws. He was just released from the hospital after what? 3 days of being in there?
    They give heroin addicts suboxone when they are in the hospital. Subs pull the opium out of you and basically force you to go through withdraws, without really feeling them. You will but it wont be horrible. Its a general lack of energy but you wont get the hot/cold flashes, throwing up, increased heart rate, etc.
    I know in ep 1 he went out and booted up once after he was released. But that was once. The timeline is pretty concrete.
    Shooting once after the opiods have been pulled from your system, is not going to make you withdraw like that. You might be lazy for a day or two and that is really the extent of it.

OR.

The kid being in the empty school, waiting for that one specific teacher to show up so he can get his knife back.... because apparently, its the only knife he has access to.... and its a kitchen a knife btw....yahh....

But... i guess its just small things like that, that they are using to move the story forward that are poking at my brain.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 08-30-2015 at 10:16 PM.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 10
    I'll go 7, which is down from 9 last week.

Really liked...

- Just genuinely creepy and scary
    - The pan away from the Berkley acceptance letter - the future is over, its sad mang...
    - The struggle with the biter principle
    - Madison stepping up
    - Travis getting his family to safety
    - The rioting and out of control nature of things
    - Random birthday party in the burbs, that's the last time that family is gonna have one of those...when you think about that, that's what gets you...at least for me

Didn't like...

- Tobias and Madison leaving each other, that brings us 2 points down easily. I get that things haven't totally totally hit the fan yet but...strength in numbers and Tobias seems to know the score from following it on the internet, and he knew Nick from when he was a freshmen. I found that to be a tough pill to swallow, but I guess Madison had to think about her own family. Still...

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    25 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    The show is everything I hoped it would be thus far. The sense of overall dread and unease started at the very beginning of episode 1 and continues through episode 2. Watching the slow collapse of society is chilling and exactly what I was looking for. Even throwing in the current events with police brutality is a nice touch. Two things that bother me a bit are Travis (I'm believing that's who ReD meant) leaving Madison and the rest of the family behind. That is a bit unbelievable and just a convenient to throw some more tension into the story arc. Travis comes across as very smart and seen a lot of this coming sooner than anyone else which makes this all the more head-scratching.

The other thing that bothers me are the commercials. Yes this is a cable TV show but there was a point in last nights episode where we just got back from commercials and then were thrown right back into commercials within 3 minutes! That is unacceptable. The commercial breaks take you out of the show as is but to take two breaks with 3 minutes of show in between is a horrible format. Maybe I'm nitpicking with this but how can you get into a show like that? This is why I refuse to watch it during its run. I DVR it and start watching it once it is just over half over. This way I can fast forward the commercials and end pretty much the same time the show actually ends anyway.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Nope.

I meant the geeky kid Madison is with in the high school when she was attacked by the principle zombie.

The idea that they separated bothered me.

As for Travis searching for his ex wife and son, I had no issues with that, but yeah, its definitely an easy way to add tension since they are stuck inside the city with the chaos, the riots, etc.

Though the guy from Predator 2 looks very shady.

Perhaps he'll be a governor type, only we see him collapse from the start of the outbreak.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Red; 08-31-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    25 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Ahhh gotcha. I'm finding myself playing catch up with the characters here. I think they are introducing too many to fast and it is confusing at points when trying to reference things that happened and explain them.

One other thing of note, which I may be off on though. The person who was dead where the people were rioting was shown when the sheet blew off his body. You could clearly see a gunshot to the head, which explains why he remained dead. Then the biter-goth-chick that was slowly approaching the woman officer...she shot her in the head. It seems as though the authorities perhaps know that is what puts the infected down? Typical protocol in an instance like that would be to shoot out a leg or something not go for a head shot!

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    Dammit I forgot this airs on Sundays........gonna have to wait for the replays.........hope I don't ever pull this shit with Walking Dead or GOT

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 107
    The other thing that bothers me are the commercials. Yes this is a cable TV show but there was a point in last nights episode where we just got back from commercials and then were thrown right back into commercials within 3 minutes! That is unacceptable. The commercial breaks take you out of the show as is but to take two breaks with 3 minutes of show in between is a horrible format. Maybe I'm nitpicking with this but how can you get into a show like that? This is why I refuse to watch it during its run. I DVR it and start watching it once it is just over half over. This way I can fast forward the commercials and end pretty much the same time the show actually ends anyway.
    Agreed. Rarely watch any shows on their broadcast slots. It's not just with tv anymore either as far as the commercials go. Try listening to about any talk radio for any period of time. A 3 hour show boils down to around 80-90 minutes it seems. I've concluded that we've been tricked into believing that your listening to a radio program - when in reality you've been duped into sitting through an infomercial.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Quote Originally Posted by ŔęĐ View Post
    I meant the geeky kid Madison is with in the high school when she was attacked by the principle zombie.

The idea that they separated bothered me.
    Ya know, that didnt even bother me.
    I was more bothered with the plot convenience of him being at the school and apparently being unable to find another kitchen knife in the world. Plus he is in a public school in LA.... one of them teachers got a glock in her/his desk, find it.

As for them separating... i mean, the shit has not hit the fan yet... its heading toward the fan.... its a high resolution/high FPS Mythbusters style, heading toward the fan. But its still early enough to where you are going to find your people. If i was in that situation here in Tampa and i had the chance to stick with a group of people, i'd still probably say "fuck off" and drive to KS to my brothers.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 08-31-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    25 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    For real! I was thinking to myself, wow this kid REALLY likes that shank he made!

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Okay episode. Though, it's starting to become clear that the writing isn't very good (not that the writing in Walking Dead is any better). But like others have mentioned, the plot convenience of the 30-year-old looking teen searching for his knife was a bit silly. And after all that trouble they went through it appeared that they just left all the food behind.

Aside from that I still don't really like ANY of the characters. I dunno if it's just me or what, but aside from maybe Travis I just don't find any of them likable. Also the constant use of slow-mo in seemingly random scenes is more of a nuisance than anything. It was effective in the first ep when the dude was running out of the old church, but it's been almost randomly used since. Next to that the pacing is still kind of problematic, but I'll give it a pass since it's still building up to things. Once all the rioting started things picked up at least.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    25 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    I really dislike the druggie son. The kid is a terrible actor and the character is annoying as all hell, even the way he walks around bothers me. The rest of the cast is middle of the road but I really like Travis.

Interesting note with Travis, Cliff Curtis...the actor who plays him was in Columbiana (pretty badass flick!) with Lennie James (Morgan from TWD)

Last edited by Macready; 09-02-2015 at 05:48 AM.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    The druggie (Nick/Frank Dillane) is probably the most original character of the lot. I'm interested in how they flesh him out with all the shit hitting the fan and it getting progressively worse. At some point sure, you'd think you can't have him in any group as a functioning member if he's just a junkie. Eventually he'll get himself or others killed. At some point, the character would have to try to become clean or it would be hard to believe the character could function on the run and on the road. Plus he is the real life son of Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane) from Game of Thrones. I don't think he's going anywhere as a hunch lol.

The rest sort of fit a blend of the TWD characters really...

Madison instantly reminds me of Andrea, only this time Kirkman and this showrunner will get it right, as opposed to the showrunner on Season 3 TWD who killed her because of how unpopular she was, and because she was one of Darabont's hires and it was clear AMC wanted to move on from most of the Darabont people after he was fired during Season 2 production.

Travis reminds me of the everyday guy, a mix of Daryl and Glenn, only will he make the tough choice? Who really knows.

Alicia is strong but pouty, she could be a blend of Carol and Michonne, only a younger version of them.

All I know is I'd take any one of these 4 over any of the Alexandrian characters from TWD except for Aaron, who I feel like they've done a good job with.

Last edited by Red; 09-02-2015 at 06:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast