07-12-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    The last film was nothing to write home about so maybe shaking things up could be a good idea. I'm not totally sold on it but I'm interested.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

HellBound Saint/Damnation Ready
    My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Follow hacknslash On Twitter Add hacknslash on Google+
    Visit hacknslash's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 303
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    Friday March 13th 2015 Fuck Yeah!!

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Time to lay this franchise to rest.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Quote Originally Posted by hacknslashbmf View Post
    Friday March 13th 2015 Fuck Yeah!!
    Wow. Can't wait.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 124
    according to cinema blend it's another remake and not a sequel to the last one. I loved the last remake I thought it was great, I don't care if it's a straight sequel to the franchise or the last movie all that matters is it's another Friday the 13th movie

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Frida...015-40474.html

UHM's Female Prisoner
    is singing her Grudge Song.

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1
    Until the big horror websites confirm it, I think this can be put down to hearsay. It's been confirmed Platinum Dunes are back to produce (unfortunately) and I think there's no way they wouldn't do a sequel to their own film.

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Why don't they do like what's in the Maniac remake, have it all from Jason's POV. Would be better than found footage or another lame remake/sequel.

UHM's Female Prisoner

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thumbs Up
    Although it's not as bad as trying to fuse two sub-genres by working in found footage, which is just a mainstream horror fad to empty the pockets of the masses that aren’t knowledgeable of the genre anyway, this is still a bad idea.

Although POV is more part of the slasher's conventions and it worked for the Maniac remake because they approached a well-used element of this kind of horror filmmaking with a new angle on it Friday the 13th is a well-established horror franchise with a huge fanbase that want to see it's star. The original Maniac never spawned a series and is a cult film so the filmmakers were free to experiment and it payed off. Jason Voorhees is too iconic to leave off the screen using entirely a subjective narrative as the audience witnesses the set-pieces. The character's status elevated from horror antagonist to pop culture anti-hero long ago. Horror franchises are about knowing its audience and giving them what they want. They cater specifically for their demographic.

What this franchise needs to do is to return to its roots. It needs to move Jason to the background having him lurking in the shadows over the majority of the runtime to create suspense and tension only showing parts of him during each kill sequence that gradually show more until he comes out of the darkness for the standoff with the survivor/survivors. Think parts 3 and 4. The reboot was supposed to go back to the series’ roots but it didn't get it entirely right by neglecting this aspect along with other problems. While I’m all for seeing a Friday movie that is a pure slasher like in the early 80s this is a franchise that really should have died in 1984 and has limped on ever since and anything they try to do new with it (JGTH, Jason X etc) only corrupts the material that the fans really want to see. Found footage would only be another unnecessarily add on and not showing Jason with the audience seeing everything through his POV and just showing him as looks in a mirror or something would be a big mistake too. The trick is to go back to how the series was originally before it was polluted but to do it well.

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    There's your problem right there - Jason wasn't an icon when parts 1-3 were being made. It took until part 3 to even see the hockey mask. It was a continuing story. What was popular, was the Friday the 13th brand. Now, Jason has become a brand unto himself, and so it has to be all about Jason, not the other characters.

UHM's Female Prisoner

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
    There's your problem right there - Jason wasn't an icon when parts 1-3 were being made. It took until part 3 to even see the hockey mask. It was a continuing story. What was popular, was the Friday the 13th brand. Now, Jason has become a brand unto himself, and so it has to be all about Jason, not the other characters.
    You either misinterpreted what I said or I just didn't put it across clearly enough.

Yes, the title of the series was originally the brand that sold the franchise making its name from its geek show displays of inventive gory set-pieces. And yeah, Jason became an icon by the fluke of the filmmakers giving him the hockey mask in Part 3. Part of that film's commercial success was due to the visage of the killer wearing the hockey mask and by the time TFC was to be made it was impossible for the filmmakers to have the character without it. So the script was written so that his body is taken to the morgue with his mask still on. Unrealistically stupid but there was no other way around it if they wanted him to keep the mask. They could have had him pick up another one over the course of the movie but him finding another exact same mask is even more unfeasible. This is something that happened in a cringing manner in Part 8. The former option was the better way to go.

But Jason was still lurking in the shadows in TFC and that contributed greatly to what made him scary and he hasn't been scary since then. Now he is made out to be an anti-hero brought out into full light that the fans root for to kill people rather than fearing him and fearing for the characters. That's real horror and that's what it needs to go back to but it still gives the fans Jason in generous portions. That’s the trick.

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Wouldn't work, because every one knows it's Jason. No suspense. Unless they try to fool the audience like in Part 5 but that would just piss off the fans. They tried to make Jason scary again in the remake but it didn't work. Studios hate old-school suspense/character-development.. it's all about money shots for the trailer now. Every modern remake suffers from the same problem, and most modern horror films as well.

UHM's Female Prisoner

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thumbs Up
    Wouldn't work, because every one knows it's Jason. No suspense. Unless they try to fool the audience like in Part 5 but that would just piss off the fans. They tried to make Jason scary again in the remake but it didn't work. Studios hate old-school suspense/character-development.. it's all about money shots for the trailer now. Every modern remake suffers from the same problem, and most modern horror films as well.
    Everybody knew it was Jason in Parts 3 and 4 but the lack of showing him only doing so in parts and gradually showing more of him through each set-piece as he lurked in the shadows contributed greatly to the suspense and tension of those films. Those in the audience watching TFC who had seen Part 3 had all seen the character wholly in the climax of Part 3 but that suspense and tension was still there. There's a difference between mystery and suspense. Suspense is about the state of mind in uncertainty awaiting anxiously the outcome of what's going to happen. The viewer knows the characters are doomed but it's the tension of when and how it will happen. This induces a feeling of apprehension and anxiety. Mystery is a secret and is unexplained until it's revealed like in a non-sequel standalone slasher.

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Part 3 had the advantage of only having two prior movies at that point. The series still had the capability of surprising us. Now, 13 movies and tons of merchandise later, what you had has been irreplaceably lost. The series had already become a comedy by Part 5. It's so cliche now that it has lost all of its suspense. You've seen just about every kill. And as for the characters, there is no suspense if they are only there to be killed (the original series had likeable characters.. despite what anyone says). And lastly, Friday the 13th did benefit from using mystery as a device, particularly in Part 1 but also in some of the other sequels.

UHM's Female Prisoner

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thumbs Up
    Part 3 had the advantage of only having two prior movies at that point. The series still had the capability of surprising us. Now, 13 movies and tons of merchandise later, what you had has been irreplaceably lost. The series had already become a comedy by Part 5. It's so cliche now that it has lost all of its suspense. You've seen just about every kill. And as for the characters, there is no suspense if they are only there to be killed (the original series had likeable characters.. despite what anyone says). And lastly, Friday the 13th did benefit from using mystery as a device, particularly in Part 1 but also in some of the other sequels.
    Yeah but Part 1 had an emphasis on mystery because the approach to the story was a whodunit as it was at that time a standalone slasher and standalone slashers are largely mysteries. It’s a common convention for slasher sequels to build on the mythology after the reveal in the original as Part 2 did with the legend of Jason. Part 3 was the first time that the audience was introduced to full Jason so obviously there was still an element of surprise there with his reveal in the climax because the audience saw a reinterpretation of the character that differed greatly to how he looked and acted in Part 2. This is due to the bulked up body and performance of Richard Brooker and of course the hockey mask.

As I stated before though Jason was seen in his entirety in the climax of Part 3 but that didn’t affect the suspense and tension of TFC, which the film had in abundance. One of the things the reboot actually got right was bringing back a running human Jason (the real Jason) while adding some new survival instinct character traits to him and this was after seven further sequels in the original continuity after TFC (including FVJ). If they can bring back the old Jason with some new stuff added to his personality after the franchise had been dragged through the mud for 15 years then they sure as hell could have had him creeping about in the shadows again for the most part of the runtime.

Derek Mears’ performance was the best Jason since Ted White in TFC. Mears’ actual portrayal of the character was frightening but the filmmakers wimped out on keeping him largely concealed for most of the duration of the movie and instead showed him fully onscreen every time he appeared. This is because Platinum Dunes made their film as a product thinking that the consumers who are paying for their goods are wanting the full Jason package all of the time. But they forgot that the constant showing of the character all the time is what helped kill the franchise and stopped him from being scary as he would just appear on screen and kill as opposed to the motivation for pace with suspense and tension in the build ups to the kills. This and obnoxiously annoying characters in the later entries is what contributed to the character becoming an anti-hero rather than an antagonist with the crowds cheering him on to kill these unlikable characters rather than him scaring the audience and them rooting for the characters to survive. And unlikable characters was a problem in the reboot too whereas in the first four that the movie was supposed to be harking back to the characters were immensely likable.

And trying to come up with inventive kills is one of the only creative angles a slasher film has in the most uncreative of all sub-genres.

Last edited by Scorpion_#701; 11-29-2013 at 10:04 AM.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 10
    Another potential remake?

What for?

Too scared a sequel won't make a good return profit this long after the first remake was released?

I swear studios have no balls these days.

Still...I've been over this whole F13 debate before.

The 13th Friday the 13th film should be something worthwhile, with some effort put into it.

And with Paramount back in control of the franchise. I'm confident they'll come to their senses, and produce a worthy film just as watchable as the original 8 Paramount films.

My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    All i need from this is shitty kids getting massacred (Boobs and Blood),Jason doing what he does best along with creative kills and great gore! Make it fun with a director who has mad love for this series.keep it simple dont try to dumb it down or put to much thought into and pull of some stupid as s twist or trend i.e. found footage or p.o.v. and please for the love christ no FUCKIN 3D!

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    All i need from this is shitty kids getting massacred (Boobs and Blood),Jason doing what he does best along with creative kills and great gore! Make it fun with a director who has mad love for this series.keep it simple dont try to dumb it down or put to much thought into and pull of some stupid as s twist or trend i.e. found footage or p.o.v. and please for the love christ no FUCKIN 3D!
    That's pretty much what they did with the 2009 remake, except for the creative kills part (although I did like the 'boobs kill', that was probably the only good scene in the movie).

UHM's Female Prisoner

Status
    Last Online
    03-28-2018

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Thumbs Up
    All i need from this is shitty kids getting massacred (Boobs and Blood),Jason doing what he does best along with creative kills and great gore! Make it fun with a director who has mad love for this series.
    I'm all for this except that I want to see characters I actually give a shit about like in the early 80's era of the franchise.

Last edited by Scorpion_#701; 11-29-2013 at 01:41 PM.

My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    Fuck Yeah!

Zombiefied Zealot
    Preternatural of being, I am
    not me.

Status
    Last Online
    11-07-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Add BigFatOgre on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 18
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag BigFatOgre75
    It might be kind of cool to do an opening sequence as found footage. Maybe have someone in the film find it. I would prefer it if the movie isn't found footage all the way through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast