Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167

The Dirties {2013}

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2334896/

https://www.facebook.com/thedirtiesfilm

http://www.thedirtiesthemovie.com/

Director: Matt Johnson

Matt and Owen are best friends who live in a world of endless movie references and hijinks. It would be perfect, if not for the cruel bullies at their high school who make their lives hell. While working on a movie for class, the lines between fiction and reality blur together in this horrifying look at high school bullying.

The Dirties is a Canadian independent comedy-drama film, directed and co-written by Matt Johnson. The debut feature-length film directed by Matthew Johnson, it has received numerous awards, including the Grand Jury Prize for Best Narrative at the 2013 Slamdance Film Festival.This film was co-produced by Matthew Miller. Director Kevin Smith, who sponsored the film through his "movie club," has called The Dirties "The most important movie you will see all year."

Two best friends are filming a comedy about getting revenge on the bullies at their high school. One of them isn't joking.
    "I've always wanted to say this about a movie I made and mean it, but never could. Now, thanks to THE DIRTIES, I can: This is the most important film you will see all year. Matt Johnson has mashed-up the found footage film and the faux-documentary genres and crafted the most original, hypnotic, and human movie about a monster-in-the-making you will ever see. Not only is THE DIRTIES an astonishingly great first film, it has the stones to deal with some very real subject matter in a mature, important way... I'm crazy proud to be associated in any way with THE DIRTIES - a landmark achievement in not just indie film, but cinema in general."

- Kevin Smith

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by woodenheart; 10-27-2013 at 05:31 PM.

The Breathing Furnace
    Marty loved horror movies...
    Until his life turned into
    one.

Status
    Last Online
    10-09-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 5
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Ausylon PSN ID Ausylo Steam ID Ausylon
    I really wanna see this one.. saw the trailer earlier today

diz mutha F'er got BANNED!!!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    11-06-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Drunk
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Gave it a review under an alternate screen name on IMDb last week, rated it eight stars as it was a poignant and moving tale of a clearly (already dangerously unhinged) nut job and his put upon bezzy mate.

There was one major MAJOR MAJOR fuck-up though and that was just exactly who was the camera operator? Was it fruit loops little squirt mates from the playground who were shooting their own film? Nope. Was it all a figment of the mad bastard's imagination? Well nope as in one scene the cameraman's arm reaches out to grab some popcorn. I read it as it being a total and utter continuity error but ah well, artistic license and all that bollocks. That's why Beta dweeb was yelling at him when they were near the cliff that it was only the two of them there... No camera operator... And then there was what seemed to be a reveal shot of inside a vent, when the whole film you thought it was from the opposite side of blinds. No cameraman would be getting shots from inside a vent. The hand grabbing the popcorn was fuck up city but considering the potential for this film I would have edited that out and reshot whatever I could to make it consistent. The only flaw I had with the who is the camera man bit is when he was editing the footage the camera man was filming, as well as the camera man not seeming to have any moral qualms about the mad bastard's plan of action. Having the character imaging the camera in his head is the only thing that works for me, but tbh it's plot hole central. I liked the film, but it seemed a little rough around the edges. There's glaring plot holes that should have been ironed out before its release. Was it a found footage film or was it a video diary? Fuck it, I still loved it so again, as I originally rated it, eight is me score.

+ Reply to Thread