Status
    Last Online
    09-04-2014

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 13
    I don't get the whole conjuring thing. To me the whole thing is average. The doll thing just isnt scary at all. Don't get me wrong I dont hate the conjuring type stuff and I will be watching the Anna movie, But to me its just average.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 124
    These movies are based on stories told by two fraud paranormal investigators, well all paranormal investigators are frauds because ghosts aren't real but that is a different story. Ed and Lorrainne Warren own a museum where they keep a ton of supposed haunted artifacts one of them is the Annabelle doll. They are also known to have investigated the amittyville house. They are the ones that claimed the house was haunted and then months later it turned out the people that bought the house had made the whole thing up for a quick paycheck. They have been involved in other films like haunting in massachusetts where they told the writer of the movie to make stuff up if he couldn't get the full story of a haunting right.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    3 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    They were involved in other films? Ed Warren died in 2006. Lorraine had a lot to do with The Conjuring however The Haunting in Connecticut was based on their findings and they had no involvement with the movie whatsoever, especially Ed Warren since he died 3 years earlier.

Their findings also spawned the made for TV movie The Haunted back in 1991 which was actually pretty decent. Whether you believe in it or not they were (Lorraine still is) two of the most respected people in that field.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    They were involved in other films? Ed Warren died in 2006. Lorraine had a lot to do with The Conjuring however The Haunting in Connecticut was based on their findings and they had no involvement with the movie whatsoever, especially Ed Warren since he died 3 years earlier.

Their findings also spawned the made for TV movie The Haunted back in 1991 which was actually pretty decent. Whether you believe in it or not they were (Lorraine still is) two of the most respected people in that field.
    paranormal investigation isn't a real science so them being respected in a field full of hoaxes liars and con artists isn't that surprising.

here is an interview with the writer of the book here is some of what he had to say about them,

Ray Garton: I was offered the job, and because I used to read of Ed and Lorraine Warren's exploits in the National Enquirer when I was a kid, I took it. I went to Connecticut and spent time with the Warrens and the Snedekers. When I found that the Snedekers couldn't keep their individual stories straight, I went to Ed Warren and explained the problem. "They're crazy," he said. "All the people who come to us are crazy, that's why they come to us. Just use what you can and make the rest up. You write scary books, right? Well, make it up and make it scary. That's why we hired you." -

http://www.damnedct.com/damned-inter....D0zstRcz.dpuf

Last edited by Faust; 09-15-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    MidnightMovieGuy

Status
    Last Online
    06-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Busy
    Follow BooBerry On Twitter Add BooBerry on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    paranormal investigation isn't a real science so them being respected in a field full of hoaxes liars and con artists isn't that surprising.
    I do personally think the Warrens were fakes, but I don't consider the field as a whole a hoax/fake/cons. You might feel this way but just as they can't prove ghosts exist, you can't prove that they don't.

Last Flick Seen: WolfCop - 5/10 The Quiet Ones - 2/10 Starry Eyes - 6/10
    Midnight Movie Gay - http://midnightmoviegay.wordpress.com
    Instagram: MidnightMovieGay

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by BooBerry View Post
    I do personally think the Warrens were fakes, but I don't consider the field as a whole a hoax/fake/cons. You might feel this way but just as they can't prove ghosts exist, you can't prove that they don't.
    the lack of evidence means they don't exist. There is no hard evidence no physical stuff just stories and grainy pictures. There is no reason to believe the paranormal exists. There is nothing there scientifically that supports it so yeah I can say it honestly isn't real

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Since I have kinda derailed the thread i'll move it back onto topic more. While I don't believe in the warrens or their stories the movie does look like it could be creepy itself

Zombiefied Zealot
    Majestic ruler of scavengers

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 72
    I'm still down for this. Excited to see it. I've believed in ghost and the paranormal since I was very young, so I'm sure it will scare the shit out of me!

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    3 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang

here is an interview with the writer of the book here is some of what he had to say about them,

Ray Garton: I was offered the job, and because I used to read of Ed and Lorraine Warren's exploits in the National Enquirer when I was a kid, I took it. I went to Connecticut and spent time with the Warrens and the Snedekers. When I found that the Snedekers couldn't keep their individual stories straight, I went to Ed Warren and explained the problem. "They're crazy," he said. "All the people who come to us are crazy, that's why they come to us. Just use what you can and make the rest up. You write scary books, right? Well, make it up and make it scary. That's why we hired you." -

http://www.damnedct.com/damned-inter....D0zstRcz.dpuf
    At this point you are taking one person's word over another. How do you know HE isn't a fake? What evidence does he have?

A majority of that field is a bunch of people trying to cash in, they may not be any different. But to just discredit them on hearsay is simply an opinion.
    When the Warrens were doing there thing there was no media even a fraction of what it is today so what did they really think they would accomplish? They were never popular, they never had cash-in's. They could be full of shit but just as you say they have no evidence, neither do the people discrediting them.

Last edited by Macready; 09-15-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    At this point you are taking one person's word of another. How do you know HE isn't a fake? What evidence does he have?

A majority of that field is a bunch of people trying to cash in, they may not be any different. But to just discredit them on hearsay is simply an opinion.
    When the Warrens were doing there thing there was no media even a fraction of what it is today so what did they really think they would accomplish? They were never popular, they never had cash-in's. They could be full of shit but just as you say they have no evidence, neither do the people discrediting them.
    Because after years of reading about their whole affair with the amityville house, the things they said and what turned out to be the real case and what the author says about them things start to line up and make sense, I believe in logical and rational things

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    3 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Because after years of reading about their whole affair with the amityville house, the things they said and what turned out to be the real case and what the author says about them things start to line up and make sense, I believe in logical and rational things
    Just because things don't seem real to you doesn't mean they don't exist. What about the "My Amityville Horror", the documentary with George Lutz? He backs it up. Just as you can say the Warren's can make money off a scam like this so can people who try to discredit them. It goes both ways. Hey, I'm on the fence but I'm not taking sides with one that just so happens to go along with how I feel, and that is with me seeing shit myself that can't be explained.

Boo sums it up pretty nicely IMO. You say nobody has proven ghosts do exist...but nobody has proven they don't either.

Aliens on the other hand...I think they exist 100%

Last edited by Macready; 09-15-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-31-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 5
    My personal stance is that I lean more towards ghosts not existing. And for the record, I actually believe in a continued existence beyond death (I'm a believer of reincarnation personally), but the evidence to me points to everything we thought was ghosts not being legit. That said, I also don't stand that they don't exist either. I stand firmly that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence and why I don't declare firmly that it's not real.

As for the film (getting back on track). It looked promising at the start but now....I'm loosing interested fast. In my opinion, The Conjuring worked so well because it followed old school horror style. More slower, quieter, well paced. It honestly felt like they took the best parts of The Exorcist and the best parts Poltergeists and made them mix well. This however feels more like the average ghost story film we've had over and over again in the last decade.

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    This isn't the kind of horror film I usually watch....never went in for those films on possession,and ghosts with the exception of The Exorcist. I really don't care what the Warrens say about anything they're in it for the money just like the Lutzes were. I pretty much sit on the fence as far as possessions and hauntings since they haven't been proven one way or the other.....yet, and probably never will .....100% any way. Looks kind of creepy in a way, so I may go see this.

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 69
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    I'm totally on board for a big screen doll horror themed movie. The trailer that I saw recently was kind of so-so.. some parts looked genuinely creepy and a couple just looked ridiculous. I personally liked the Conjuring.. I don't think it was a perfect movie by any means, but I enjoy getting to see a horror movie in the theaters that doesn't leave me reaching for the barf bag by the end (in the lamest way possible).

Dolls can be really f'ing creepy if done right. I'm excited to see how this one turns out.

~Wake up! Time to die.~

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    Overall The Conjuring was mostly okay, until you got to the cliche ridden possession scenes, the poorly realized ghosts (those in the basement, I liked the earlier depictions) and then almost every word out of the Warren characters was horribly silly, especially Ed. It's easy enough to tell that the filmmaker is really trying to make something good, it just wasn't great material. I went home and watched The Entity because that film (and Polgergeist and The Exorcist) gets it right. They're done well enough to make me forget for those 90+min that ghosts aren't real.

That said, I'll likely end up seeing this if only to confirm my suspicions. If it's at least as good as The Conjuring it won't be a total loss. I can't even think of a supernatural film in the last ten years even that good.

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 69
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    I went home and watched The Entity because that film (and Polgergeist and The Exorcist) gets it right. They're done well enough to make me forget for those 90+min that ghosts aren't real.
    The Entity! Fuck, man, I forgot about that movie. Now I've got something to watch tonight. Thanks!

~Wake up! Time to die.~

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    Yeah man, that's one I use, along with Poltergeist and The Exorcist, as my measuring stick. All other "serious" supernatural movies are comp ared to those three. All three share characters that represent both believers and skeptics who deliver absolutely sincere performances of their perspective and sympathetic victims experiencing something they can't explain, caught in the middle just looking for help. They're done so well and with very little to provoke an eye-roll.

Most paranormal films can't even seem to muster Ghostbusters level sincerity (which I measure all comedic supernatural films against).

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    3 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    The Entity is the end all, be all of haunted house flicks. The Changeling as well. Glad these much rumored remakes never happened.

Last edited by Macready; 09-16-2014 at 05:18 AM.

The Zombie King
    I want to go kick "The
    Man" in "The
    Nuts"

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2017

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Follow jlwallen@monkeypantz.net On Twitter Add jlwallen@monkeypantz.net on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2
    There is no evidence that God exists, yet people believe in "him"...lock, stock, and tithing barrel.

jack wallen, jr <--- lover of entropy

Writer of the I Zombie series, the Screampark series, the Fringe Killer series, and upcoming The Book of Jacob Series. Check me out at Get Jack'd, my Amazon Author Page, and my weekly podcast Zombie Radio

Zombiefied Zealot
    damn status bar...my entries
    are too long for you:dislike:

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303