Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re

3001: The Final Odyssey Mini Series

Alright...so..I have some good and bad news. Bad news first is 3001: The Final Odyssey is being turned into a tv series on fucking "Syfy". The good news is that it's being produced by Ridley Scott, so..uh..*head explodes*

There are four books in Arthur C. Clarke’s Year/Odyssey series. 2001, 2010, 2061, and finally, 3001, which was published in 1997. We have movies for two of them. I’ll let you guess which ones. Now, it looks like we’re getting a TV miniseries for one more. I'll let you guess that one too, but only if you didn't read the headline or fail to read the next sentence.

Ridley Scott will produce this television adaptation of 3001: The Final Odyssey for Syfy, a channel I hope looks to be rehabilitating its goofball image with actual science fiction of worth. 3001 definitely sounds like some serious shit, anyway, and Ridley Scott’s not usually the funniest guy in the room, so this does seem to indicate something interesting.

3001 revolves around Frank Poole, killed in 2001 by HAL. Something called The Goliath finds him drifting through space and wakes him up. He comes back home and it’s all sci-fi action all the time. Whatever happens next, the story takes place over a span of thirty years, which sounds perfect for a cool miniseries. Both Clarke and Stanley Kubrick’s estates support the project, which, if nothing else, means they don’t think it will suck. Hopefully this will air sometime in 2015.
    -Badass Digest

I am unfamiliar with the books, but 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my favorite films ever. I once watched it 3 times over a period of 4 days. I love the film when many consider it to be a bit of a bore and a mind fuck. I even dug 2010: The Year We Made Contact, but not as much as the first. With that being said....I am interested to see this series. Sure it skips 2061, but I think we'll kind of get a recap of what happened in that book. I do want to read these because I want to see how bad they fuck up the source material. Ridley Scott..buuuuut it's going to be on Syfy. I recently read that the channel wants to clean up their goofy image and start going back to it's serious roots, so here's hoping.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DMHead777; 11-03-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Resident Omega
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 107
    I've read them all with the exception of 3001. I had a copy of it awhile back, but never got around to finishing the series. I caught 2010 in the theater before actually ever seeing 2001, and Scheider as Dr. Floyd was a more than adequate lead for the assigned mission, but couldn't rate it above 2001.

A series sounds promising - especially with Ridley's hands all over it, but not sure how it'll ultimately play out.... still interested though all the same.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

+ Reply to Thread