Threads
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by ŔęĐ View Post
    Well...

You can throw out the whole discrediting him for using his wife over and over in his films, as most filmmakers use friends and relatives over and over in their films.
    Casting friends? You mean like Joe Dante always casting Dick MIller and the late great Kevin McCarthy? Terrible comparison since they have actually acted in other people's movies. Even Clint Howard has done other movies besides his brothers. Also, when was the last time ROn actually casted Clint as a lead?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Demon to Some
    Imagine peace on this earth
    when there's no grief Imagine
    grief on this earth when
    there's no peace

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add Darkgod on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 51
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Chumpstylz PSN ID D_A_R_K_G_O_D

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The Rottweiler
    The Hound of Horror

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Add Halcon Loco on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 4
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Hawk Wesker PSN ID KryptixHawk
    Ugh really?? I can't stand Rob and his work. I'll never be seeing this one.

Si usted no puede correr con los perros grandes permanecer en el porche!

Number of Horror Movies Seen- 1,896

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadliquor View Post
    Bah... I guess every message board has a RZ fanboy or someone who's gullible enough to fall for Rob's hackneyed gimmicks .
    From your post Toby, it sounds like you've had this argument before with the members here, and I'm sure they;ve probably given up on you. Sort of like when you have a good friend, with a hardcore PCP/Crack addiction, you try your best to get them clean, but eventually you get so disgusted by their self-deluding lies that you give up. Call me naive, but I still think there's hope for you Toby. So I"m going to do my best to try and give you some clarity, so you can get the help that you need.

Just to give you some background. I'm not a Zombie hater. Back in my late teens/early twenties, I was a huge White Zombie fan. I saw them in concert probably a dozen times. In really small clubs, and eventually in large arenas. White Zombie broke up, then Rob embarked on his solo career.... which sucked ass. I guess he started listening to a bunch of sycophants who were telling him how he's a lot more talented than he actually is. I was a bit heart broken, but such is life. When I heard he was going to start making movie, I was all in! This is going to be great! One of my favorite singers, from one of my favorite bands was going to make a movie in my favorite genre, what could go wrong???

But enough about me and my sad, misguided thoughts as a youth. Let's discuss ROb Zombie as a "filmmaker" and some of the horseshit arguments that his fanboys regurgitate to defend this talentless hack:

1) "Rob's a huge horror movie fan!" : It's not really an argument, but for some reason Zombie fans always feel the need to emphasize this point. As if it qualifies him as being a director. Just because you're a fan of something, doesn't mean you know anything about how it's made. If that was the case, every member here would be qualified to make movies. Most people who make movies, have either gone to film school for years, or they've worked on several movies. It's a discipline that you learn, like any profession. You can't just go to an airport watch a bunch of planes take off, then decide to go and take a 747 for a spin.

2) "Rob does an amazing job at casting! He's really intuned with horror fans and knows what they want!": Casting a bunch of esoteric horror actors and actresses isn't a tribute, nor is it a homage to anything. It's called pandering. It's pretty much Rob saying, "This script and plot sucks a cock, but if I throw in a bunch of characters from old horror movies, people will go see it". It sort of reminds me of those Old Navy commercials years ago. The ones that starred Mr.T, Morgan Fairchild, Gary Coleman, Gilligan, etc... For a second, you're fooled into thinking your actually seeing something special, but then you realize it's just a bunch of has beens, who haven't worked in years. And what is with him casting Wrestlers in most of his movies? Sure, I used to love wrestling, but then I hit puberty.

3) "People are just "Hatin'" on Rob because he remade a true horror classic Halloween": If this is true, why don't you hear about people hating on Zak Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead, or Cronenberg's The Fly. YOu don't hear it because they're great movies!

I could go on and on about other nonsensical defenses people make about ROb, but instead, let's look at the movies themselves:

House of 1000 Corpses: If you even want to qualify this as a movie. It's basically just a bunch of random haphazard scenes thrown together, trying to stretch out the 20 minute story of Dr. Satan. The scenes go on forever even if they have nothing to do with the story, like the trip to Red HOt Pussy Liquor. Ooooo tee hee! He said the word Pussy! And giggle giggle, the grampa keeps shouting the words cunt and fuck in his stand-up routine. It's a rated R movie, Who the fuck over the age of 18 still finds the use of dirty words for the sake of using them comical? There are just too many terrible moments in this movie that to write about all of them would take longer than watching the actual movie.

Devil's Rejects: This is the movie Rob fans always point to when trying to talk about Rob as a real movie maker. And I'll agree that it's not half as bad as House, but in no way is it a good movie. His supposedly "artistic" shots (the ending car chase with the helicopter shot) is so cliche and overused, you can see it in a million movies. The one thing that makes the movie somewhat watchable is the soundtrack. And what about the "big reveal"! The fact that the killers are named after characters from Marx brothers movies. What did that have to do with anything? How was it relevant to the story? It wasn't... just more nonsense that doesn't add anything to the story.

Halloween: In the original Halloween, there isn't any explanation as to why Michael is the way he is. Doc Loomis sums it all up by saying that he's pure evil. They never get into the why. Which is sooo effective since the imagination is a lot more effective at scaring someone than any piece of celluloid. Also, based on the opening scene, Michael seems to be the product of an upper middle class family. He just went batshit crazy. Your imagination fills in all of the gaps. Zombie removed the most intriguing part of the movie and spends the entire movie explaining why Michael is the way he is. He's poor, his dad is mentally and physically abusive, he's picked on by his peers, he has a doting mother, his sisters a whores, he kills small animals for fun. He pretty much gives Michael the same past history as 90% of every serial killer to ever walk the planet. As if that wasn't bad enough, he decides to magically transform Michael from a short, blonde hair kid, to a brown haired, 8 foot tall monster. I guess the Mental ward gave him a diet of anabolic Horse steroids for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Halloween II: To be honest, I gave up on this movie probably half way through. The dream sequences, and that one girl who said the word fuck every 3rd word just got on my last nerve.

Lords of Salem: Probably the best premise of all Rob's movies, but is ruined by Rob's typical horseshit, First off what decade is the movie supposed to be set in? They're using cell phones, but they all dress like it's the 70's? The radio station is spinning vinyl? Sherri's in a drug recovery program but drinks? There's a lot more nonsense, inconsistencies, etc... to point out, but I need some breakfast

I will say this Toby, you're right when you say you can't compare Zombie to Michael Bay, or Roland Emmerich. As flawed as their movies are people actually pay to see their movies. You could pick one of their movies at random and it probably grossed the same as all of Rob's movies combined. If you want to say he's a better director than the guy who made Thanxkilling, I guess I"ll give you that one.... I guess
    Agreed on all points besides Ho1KC and DR. Although I do think Ho1KC is a Texas Chainsaw Massacre ripoff, I do have a huge soft spot for it. I also loved DR. Do I think he's a bad filmmaker? Well, no, I just think he needs to do something else instead of the horror scene. Lords of Salem, now that I look back on it, I didn't despise, but I just felt there was a lot of wasted talent there. His cinematography is fantastic though

I really don't like how he says he gives up on the horror genre, yet returns to it when his new movie (that most people are more interested in) is taking too long. I don't feel that that's what a real film maker should do. Obviously he has passion for his stuff. He made a very not well known film like Lords of Salem because he wanted to. It was his image and his film. I respect that, I just didn't like it because I felt like there was too much going on. It literally didn't make sense. I thought the first 20-30 minutes were fucking brilliant though. That kitchen scene was fucking awesome.

All in all..will I see it? Oh, more than likely. Horror is my favorite genre and will give anything a shot once. I will not go into it with a shitty frame of mind because I know he is capable of fantastic work, I just think that..he needs a break to come up with something unique, like Lords of Salem, but more purpose of continuity (which some will argue that is his style)

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0
    I dug the 1000 corpses movies. I loved his reimagining of Halloween. Then came Halloween 2 and Lords of Salem and I just thought those movies were flat out awful. But I still believe in Rob and hope he can throw some good stuff at us. I never want a movie to be bad, I'm not one of those cynical people. I personally wish he'd do another El Superbeasto because that's a wonderful animated movie. I think people pick on Rob unjustly because he was famous going in. Internet nerds hate famous people (bitch at me all you want its true). You don't like his movies that's fine, but to put him in a category with most of the crap Hollywood throws out in our genre just isn't fair IMO. I'll be hopeful this time. Just don't dash my hopes like you did with the last one rob!

Last edited by Chief Falling Rock; 02-24-2014 at 05:44 AM.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    The same could be said the other way around with people supporting him. It just so happens that there are lot more on the negative than positive side when it comes to Mr. Zombie. IMO, rightfully so.

Oh he is visionary, he gives us something different, oh look, there is Sheri AGAIN, there are ghost animals, this man is brilliant!

There is a lot of force-fed Hollywood garbage that comes our way, I don't think anyone is denying that. But to even remotely imply that Zombie is the only one going against that grain is laughable (not speaking of you Chief).

I have seen some really good flicks the past few years that never made it into the theater with a wide release or any release at all. The Pact, The Conjuring, Haunt (not sure if this will hit theaters, I seen it a week ago and highly enjoyed it!), Haunter, Byzantium, Open Grave, Maniac, VHS2, The Collection, I'll even throw No One Lives in there. All of which I would take over anything Zombie has provided us with.

So yes the fact there is a major grouping of Hollywood garbage out there, there is still plenty of great films to be seen. We don't need more of Zombie's shit to "show" us the mind of a visionary horror director

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

HellBound Saint/Damnation Ready
    My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Follow hacknslash On Twitter Add hacknslash on Google+
    Visit hacknslash's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 303
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    good thread.....1 of 2 ways to divide horror Fans
    mention Rob Zombie or bring up remakes.

I love GORE!
    Laid back

Status
    Last Online
    02-21-2024

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 4
    Rob Zombie has style in his films, and that's about it.

He needs to turn down on the violence, meaning balancing it out a little more to where the gore seems shocking than unnecessary. Then he needs to create a better story and characters that we care about. I haven't bothered to see the lords of salem and don't care to.

He does have strengths he just needs to learn how to use them.

" A little GORE never hurts anyone"

Zombiefied Zealot
    damn status bar...my entries
    are too long for you:dislike:

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 255
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13
    if any of you truly thought he was hanging up his boots and not directing another horror flick...well...then..you're a fool.....this does not surprise me at all...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The UHM Clown

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    15 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    It doesn't surprise me at all. It should be entertaining to make fun of his next "visionary" shitfest though

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Zombiefied Zealot

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13

The UHM Clown

― Edgar Allan Poe

UHM Emissary
    “I'm afraid I can't
    explain myself, sir. Because I
    am not myself, you see?”

Status
    Last Online
    10-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Add WickedNik on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 5
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID wickednik
    I'll still watch it. I hope it's like house, but doubt it. Still love that movie and know he could make better films then he has in the past.

Last edited by WickedNik; 02-25-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Fuck Rob Zombie and the white horse he rode in on.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 124
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishG3nt View Post
    if any of you truly thought he was hanging up his boots and not directing another horror flick...well...then..you're a fool.....this does not surprise me at all...
    I agree lots of directors say stuff like this all the time or they say they are working on something then drop it in favor of something or else or just plain stop caring about it. Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez come to mind always talking about movies they are working on or want to make and then they never come out. Eli Roth kept talking about making thanksgiving for years and a film consisting of nothing but fake trailers called Trailer Trash, he never made that one either.

Zombiefied Zealot

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez come to mind always talking about movies they are working on or want to make and then they never come out.
    Great example here!

The UHM Clown

― Edgar Allan Poe

My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    Super Beasto vs. Lords of sAlem oops,god damn wrong thread again(Fright U Better Fix that Shit,worst website ever!)

My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    Well not only is rob zombie doing another horror movie...i just read he is gonna direct a mini series about charlie manson

This Man Is The Shit
    It's pronounced fry

Status
    Last Online
    03-18-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lonely
    Add Frey on Facebook
    Thumbs Up