My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458

BioShock movie to be made by Sony?

About a year ago famed Bioshock game creator Ken Levine confirmed that Universal Studios had cancelled its plans to adapt a Bioshock film. It was to be headed by director Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lone Ranger) but a number of creative issues, including budgetary concerns and whether to shoot for an R-rating or PG-13, led to the project's quick death.

Well, all is not lost Bioshock fans! Kotaku just broke the news that Sony has registered three domain names: bioshock-movie.com, bioshock-movie.net and bio-shock.net. I think it's safe to surmise that a major film studio registering the domain name bioshock-movie.com is hoping to make-

...wait for it.

...a Bioshock movie.

Granted, we have no idea what kind of time frame Sony is working with, whether they've green-lit the project or who's attached to it. So, we'll file this one under: Keeping an eye on it!
    http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/04/...,manual,manual

Last year, BioShock creator Ken Levine later claimed he personally killed the project, which was already stuck in development hell and unlikely to ever get made, and suggested Universal got cold feet on Verbinski's "hard R" version after the costly R-rated adaptation Watchmen flopped at the box office. A profile of Levine, a screenwriter-turned-game designer, mentioned that he was considering "taking a stab" at a screenplay for a BioShock film during his vacation time following the completion of BioShock Infinite. Levine is once again writing screenplays — he is now writing a script for the long-in-development Logan's Run remake — so I have to wonder if he might be involved in the project this time around.

BioShock would be one of many video game projects currently in the works at Sony Pictures. As of late, the studio is also working on films based on Watch Dogs, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, The Last of Us, Sonic the Hedghog, Raving Rabbids, the Sega-Nintendo console wars, among others. Whether any of these movies actually get made is another question entirely.
    http://kotaku.com/ubisoft-has-over-9...ees-1563003254

Until there's more on this project, I figured this is just a rumor, though nice to see that it could still happen. In Sony's hands, it could work.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 69
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    I agree. I would love to see a Bioshock movie.. If they could do a faithful adaptation of the first game I would totally be on board. I really like the Sander Cohen storyline from the first game, I think it would be a really effective and creepy addition if plotted out correctly. Unfortunately anything involving Sander Cohen would push this movie instantly into the hard 'R' territory. Though, realistically, I couldn't see how they would be able to do a faithful adaptation of the first game without it being an 'R' rated feature. It sure would be cool to see a couple of Big Daddies on the big screen though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Coker; 08-18-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    ~Wake up! Time to die.~

+ Reply to Thread