Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    ugghhh so terrible

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 4
    What blows my mind about this movie and the new Jurassic Park is that even though both of the originals came out more than 20 years ago, the effects look 100 times better. I realize that the effects typically aren't finished in the trailers but I doubt they'll look that much better once finished.

Last edited by VM666; 04-13-2015 at 01:46 PM.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    Quote Originally Posted by VM666 View Post
    Cameron needs to stop with those stupid fucking Avatard sequels and get this series back to the greatness it once used to be until T3 came out and every Terminator related things began to suck.
    Like he cares about this series. He doesn't do anything for the fans. He's pumping out 30 Avatar sequels for $$

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 10
    This movie looks like just an excuse to show us the stories told that we already heard and heard better the initial times we saw them in the two movies.

In other words, they seem to be taking all the things that were simply 'told' in the Cameron movies and instead showing us them in detail, in particular the stories Kyle told in T1 about the future, etc. It's going to be a big mess, if it flops, it doesn't really hurt Arnie though, but I think it hurts Emilia.

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    I agree, looks horrible. They should have made the whole movie about old Arnold VS young Arnold.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

A website that I trust pretty much said this movie is filth. Surprising, I know. Spoilers ahead

The Terminator should never have been a franchise. Two films was stretching it, but Terminator Genisys is the fifth film in the series and the central conceit has been worn thinner than co-star Jai Courteny’s charisma. Yet again we find ourselves in a time travel loop where our heroes (and our villains) are going back into the past to stop something from ever occurring. The villains are trying to end the Connor bloodline, this time going back to 1973 to kill Sarah Connor as a girl. Meanwhile the heroes are bouncing through time from 2029 to 1984 to 2017 in an attempt to kill Skynet as a child. And I mean as a child because in this film Skynet takes the ridiculous form of a holographic boy at the end.

Out of the five Terminator films four have used this basic plot, but none so poorly as Genisys. It is hard to describe how confoundingly stupid this movie is, but let’s use this as an example: in 1984 Sarah Connor has a time machine and wants to use it to travel to 1997 to stop Skynet from getting online at the last minute, instead of maybe spending the 13 intervening years stopping it at her leisure. And she’s in a rush to get through the time machine, almost like she doesn’t realize that we’re all time travelers headed inexorably towards the future one second at a time.

The big twist in Genisys is that when Kyle Reese comes back to 1984, as we saw in The Terminator, he doesn’t find a shrinking violet Sarah Connor but rather a warrior, raised by a good guy T-800 (at this point the default setting on the T-800 seems to be ‘cuddly.’ The first film feels like an anomaly). The timeline has been altered by Nero’s destruction of the USS Kelvin and… wait, wrong overly complicated reboot using time travel to maintain maximum fan service. It’s not clear why history has changed; this is one of the ‘mysteries’ this terrible film has left ambitiously open for the sequels to answer.

Anyway that’s the big twist, and it’s not bad as far as high concept pitches go. “What if Sarah Connor said ‘Come with me if you want to live’ to Kyle Reese?!” You can imagine the executives getting excited about this slight, slim concept that no one ever actually managed to make into a real story that is in any meaningful way different from the other three times we did this tango. And the opening bit, a recreation of the beginning of The Terminator with some SWITCHEROOS thrown in to keep us off balance, is almost enjoyable. But it’s enjoyable in that way where you hear a bum in an alley shout “Hey that guy stole my pants!” and it reminds you of the time that exact same thing happened in a vastly superior motion picture.

The script is the biggest problem with Terminator Genisys - it is stupid and it is riddled with cheap, lazy callbacks to movies that have technically never happened after this reboot - but the casting gives that shit script a run for its money as The Biggest Problem. Jai Courtney is a disaster as Kyle Reese; he’s wrong in every way, having none of the weary soldier qualities that Michael Biehn brought to the role. Courtney is the new Sam Worthington, who was the new Gretchen Mol, who was the new person whose name I forget because these are forgettable actors foisted upon us by the weird Hollywood hive mind. There are make-up techniques designed to baffle facial recognition software and Jai Courtney seems to have been designed with that in mind - he’s an actor who passes through your brain like a fart in a wind tunnel. Just poof, gone.

He would be simply bland if the script - that script again! - didn’t saddle him with a bunch of shit one-liners (they’re really half-liners, like “I didn’t sign up for this mission!”) and then, in a bravura bit of bad thinking, given him a bantering relationship with Pops, the T-800 that raised Sarah Connor. If you’ve ever watched The Terminator and thought “The only thing this movie is missing is Kyle and the Terminator trading soft barbs with each other in a relationship that casts the robot as her dad and Kyle as the new boyfriend” boy do I have good news for you. I mean, I have the best news possible.

In The Terminator there was a deeply felt love story where Kyle Reese traveled across time for Sarah Connor. In Terminator Genisys they have the kinds of biting back and forths you might expect from a writer who once heard the legend of the things they called Screwball Comedies. Their relationship sucks, and it’s made worse by the fact that Emilia Clarke is absolutely, one hundred percent terrible as Sarah Connor.

This is supposed to be warrior Sarah Connor, as seen in T2, but Clarke can’t sell that. The script doesn’t help her - this is a very wishy washy warrior Sarah Connor - but Clarke is missing the steel that Linda Hamilton brought to the role. She’s simply unconvincing, and her attempts to be commanding and decisive come across as shrill. They’re further undercut by the script’s decision to half-heartedly play with the original film’s damsel-in-distress plot by having Sarah say she’s not a damsel while being rescued/helped.

The only person doing good work in Genisys is Arnold Schwarzenegger. He’s just doing his T2 schtick again, but he’s at least having fun with it, and that fun comes across. Even when he’s doing his dead-eyed Terminator thing Arnie has a thousand times the charisma of Courtney, eclipsing him in every scene they share.

Most of the running time of Genisys is either callbacks to the first two films or set pieces inspired by/aping/reminding us of those movies. This time there are two helicopters - and they chase each other! And they act like space ships, by the way, doing moves that feel impossible. There’s an assault on a hospital, not a police station, but close enough! There’s another T-1000 to run away from while pointlessly pumping bullets into its liquid metal body! Have you been itching to return to Cyberdyne? Because we got an action scene there!

All of these scenes - many of which involve robots shoving each other around - are boring. But most egregiously almost all of these scenes also include terrible CGI, from the dismal de-aging on Schwarzenegger (Ant-Man, a cheaper film, beats the pants off this movie’s de-aging) to general shit composting and phony looking CGI creations. There’s a new kind of Terminator in this film (this is the only thing these movies change up - they throw in a new version of the Terminator. By my count there have been at least seven different robots sent back in time at this point, with there being four different models) and instead of liquid metal it’s made of buzzing nanites and it looks like crap. Even the T-1000 effects look somehow worse than the ones from 1991. I was continually distracted by how lousy the effects were in the film, sometimes laughing out loud.

I also laughed out loud when Kyle and Sarah and Pops get arrested and there’s a mug shot montage over which plays Bad Boys, the Cops theme song, but I was not laughing out loud WITH the movie.

The one positive thing about Terminator Genisys is that it’s always moving ahead breathlessly, so it’s never ponderous, just always stupid and bad… but quick. Stupid and bad in a quick way. Wait, I lied - the other positive thing is JK Simmons as a cop from 1984 who reappears in 2017 having had his life changed by his interaction with time travelers. He’s funny. There’s not enough of him, but he injects the only humor that works into the movie, which isn’t to say that there isn’t a lot of humor. There’s a ton of humor, it’s just that none of it is funny.

The script for Genisys sags under the weight of its idiocy and lack of internal consistency until it gets to an ending where Sarah and Kyle are continuously menaced by a hologram of Skynet, and they keep shooting out the projectors… again and again, so many times in a row that it becomes completely a comedy beat. At the end of the movie, as Pops and the new Dust Terminator float in a CGI battle of meaninglessness, Terminator Genisys simply becomes a parody of itself, as if no one working on this turd could continue to take it seriously.

There is an audience that will eat this up - it’s fast and there are explosions and endless barrages of gunfire aimed at robots that cannot possibly be hurt by it and there are so many callbacks to the first two films that your average doofus could go “Hey, I understand what they’re referencing!” non-stop for most of the running time. But it’s bad, and I think it’s objectively bad. More than that, it’s a desecration of classic films, overwriting the first two Terminators and replacing them with this garbage, with a movie that doesn’t understand time travel but insists on talking about it all the time, a movie that ruins the iconic characters established in 1984. The film ends on a note that feels more appropriate for an episode of a TV cartoon than a Terminator movie.

Terminator Genisys might be the nadir of franchise filmmaking, a soulless exercise in keeping an IP going (and maintaining rights) at any cost. Nobody was ever able to take that initial twisteroo pitch and figure out why it makes a compelling movie. Nobody was ever able to come up with a story that was doing anything but rehashing the exact same plot beats as the previous films, chasing all the exact same goals that have been accomplished in previous films. All anyone came up with were profit projections, especially overseas profits, and that was all they needed to make this movie.
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/06/...u-want-to-live

Last edited by DMHead777; 06-30-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    14 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    I love the usage of the word FILTH!

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

80's Horror fan
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    5 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 11
    These movies would have worked better as a franchise if Cameron would have taken a different direction and gone with a prequel or two,after the first movie.
    I think seeing the future war,with Kyle and John developing their relationship that eventually leads to John sending Kyle back could have been epic.With Biehn playing the part. IMHO. Much better than Terminators being sent back,over and over.
    Michael Biehn is a great actor and I think he could have carried the franchise as well as Arnold did.

impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Cool little video describing all the different Terminator models from the T1-T5000

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 124
    The next film needs to have two buses flipping at the same time but they flip in opposite directions of each other, lso they are on fire. When they both land on their wheels they explode into huge fireballs. Greatest scene ever?

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    All the local critics are tearing this film up as a huge pile of trash

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Hello?
    hi guys

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2016

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Doh
    Add Get Some on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 5
    heard this movie is god awful as well. I hate the guy who plays Kyle Reese, and I don't like how they are spinning John Connor into a bad guy- regardless of whether or not it is actually him or not. I am not excited

RIP JJ

Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-IKickAssFortheLord
    2-2011 Darkgod

Non Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-Shreds of Flesh
    2-2011 Woodenheart

TV Character Draft Winners
    1-Mudvayne_Eternal

My little DVD collection- http://getsome.dvdaf.com/owned

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27

RLM summed the movie up as " A big budget fan film, poor writing and all" and i could not agree more with that statement. The premise is solid for rebooting the series, the problem is they took it too far and it ended up being a compete mess that any first year film student would/should have been able to fix. The biggest problem was that they seemed to do nothing but add, add, add, add, add, add, add, add, add, and no one told them that maybe taking something out would have done more for the story.

Last edited by El Ahrairah; 07-09-2015 at 06:09 PM.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Movie is alright, dumb, but entertaining for the most part. The effects were pretty good as well. Definitely better than the last film, but that's not saying much. I'd probably give it a high 6/10

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-02-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 29
    The movie was a let-down for sure. I also think the last two Terminator movies have been the worse of the bunch. Jai Courtney was a poor choice to portray Reese, he had nothing on Biehn. I was so waiting on a "YOU'RE TERMINATED!" line to be dropped and didn't even get that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234