My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 69
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    I suppose there would be a little irony if it got leaked as a torrent.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~Wake up! Time to die.~

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    And by the way Sony has no plans of releasing the movie in any format at all...so no VOD either.
    Well they definitely won then

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Sony is a business...they made a business decision. As horror fans we should be used to films being announced, filmed, and never released or deemed unprofitable and pulled from theaters. This one just has an unusual initial reason...instead of offending the usual bible-thumpers or prudes in general it offended folks that claim to have ties to NK.

It will be released eventually (dvd and VOD) and will be a huge success because no matter the "danger" or "offense," if it's profitable you better believe Sony will do it.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    13 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    It's cowardly. What if this happens with other movies and stuff beyond? We just going to keep giving in? What if next they say eating beef is against their religion (which it really is for most Muslims) and they say if we don't start closing up burger joints there will be violence? Americans openly eating beef or any other meat that they find offensive must stop because of possible repercussions. It sounds crazy doesn't it? Just as crazy as this movie being banned.

From Jimmy Kimmel:
    @JuddApatow I agree wholeheartedly. An un-American act of cowardice that validates terrorist actions and sets a terrifying precedent.

A lot of celebrities and even politicians and other people in our government are saying this.

Now there are theaters doing this:

Alamo Drafthouse DFW @AlamoDFW · 13h 13 hours ago
    …but now we'll be showing TEAM AMERICA in it's place…for FREE(DOM). Because AMERICA, F YEAH.

It seems that theater chains that didn't mind showing The Interview will be playing Team America in its place. Good for them, I hope people flock to this as a big fuck you to the terrorists and the cowards that backed pulling The Interview from release.

Last edited by Macready; 12-18-2014 at 06:38 AM.
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Zombiefied Zealot
    damn status bar...my entries
    are too long for you:dislike:

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 255
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag IrishMobsta13
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    Alamo Drafthouse DFW @AlamoDFW · 13h 13 hours ago
    …but now we'll be showing TEAM AMERICA in it's place…for FREE(DOM). Because AMERICA, F YEAH.

The UHM Clown

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    Just a point of clarification here, it really isn't "us" that's the target or who backed down (outside the theater chains). It was Sony and the decision came from mainland Japan. They do have a reason to be very afraid of the N.Koreans. NK can't touch us. They can make all the threats they want but they can't do anything to us in the United States. They could erase the country of Japan and Japan knows it. Japan flinched, we're the "theater of combat" in a way.

edit: I just saw the Kim Jung death scene from the film. It's leaked. It's done pretty well. I dunno if it's the toned down version or the version they said needed to be toned down. That's the thing the suits don't understand about these guys brand of humor, you make it worse trying to tone it down and everything being so far beyond good taste and so extreme is what makes it work and actually funny. Studio executives are mostly retarded.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 12-18-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    Just a point of clarification here, it really isn't "us" that's the target or who backed down (outside the theater chains). It was Sony and the decision came from mainland Japan. They do have a reason to be very afraid of the N.Koreans. NK can't touch us. They can make all the threats they want but they can't do anything to us in the United States. They could erase the country of Japan and Japan knows it. Japan flinched, we're the "theater of combat" in a way.
    I've been trying to say that but I see a lot of people on facebook and elsewhere being all "FREEDOM OF SPEECH!1! We need this movie! Defend Seth Rogan from the terrororists!"

Call me STRT or Street
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Minor point of correction Mac, most Muslims don't eat pork and most Hindus don't eat beef.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    13 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Quote Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
    Minor point of correction Mac, most Muslims don't eat pork and most Hindus don't eat beef.
    My office is filled with both and I still mix that up. Hindu's have the cow as a sacred animal I believe.

I may have not correctly voiced my opinion with regarding "us". I mean it as a generalized statement of Americans. There are polititians, on both sides that don't agree with this decision. It's our country, our film, our sense of humor...etc. Hell how many times has our own president been mocked in movies or shows such as SNL?

With that sait, Burnet...you make an excellent point in regards to Japan. I never once thought of that and never once read it elsewhere before you mentioned it here. Basically if Sony was an American company and not based out of Japan this would most likely have played out much differently.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Yeah, it's not "our" film. It's the product and property of a Japanese corporation. It doesn't matter where it was made, ultimately it's a foreign property. That's why I said we were basically just the "theater" of combat, like the way 3rd party countries are often the "theater" for wars between two totally different countries.

Until the threat was made this was just a matter of corporate espionage and mostly a civil matter with no recourse since it was most likely an attack of foreign origin. There's no leverage to be used and really no course of action besides plug the hole and hunt down any locals that might have helped, because they can be federally prosecuted just for the generic offense of penetrating and circumventing security on a computer or computer network.

The threat upped the game to full blown international incident and, hollow or not, can't be ignored. Until any local participants are found there's still nothing that can be done by anyone about it though. Hackers don't shoot up or blow up places. Logically, either the threat was for the lulz, or a mistake on their part (thinking the sub-contractor angle) or just done because there's nothing that can be done about it and whomever is truly behind this is enjoying how all the monkeys are dancing and they want to further stir the pot and they feel very comfortable and secure where they are and it doesn't matter whether or not any true intent or capability is behind the threat.

That said, ultimately, it doesn't matter what any American sitting in Culver City thinks or wants. They don't, ultimately, run Sony Pictures. Sony does. Sony Japan. I used to work for them and was "this" close to going staff and all I needed to do was sign the papers. I went through the whole Sony corporate indoctrination with classes and the whole nine yards and it's a Japanese company with a lot of gaijin working for them there in Culver City. But it's a Japanese company and they're covering their ass here. They've pretty much regretted the Columbia Pictures purchase nearly from the beginning. They're not wholeheartedly invested in filmmaking as a dream or mission and do not share our passion for freedom or artistic expression or anything else. Movies are an expensive product they've mostly lost money on and now that part of the business has become a problem for the whole of Sony and a possible threat to their brand, worldwide.

They don't give a damn about our, American's, freedom. This isn't about that, ultimately, even if that's how a lot of Americans are going to choose to take it. I'm not saying I agree with it, because I don't. I think they're big pussies for doing this and it's going to invite more aggression. But I don't know what it's like to have the largest standing army in the world (last I knew) just itching to cross the border, re-take the South of Korea and then build a bridge made of dead bodies to their island and take out all their frustrations and old grudges on the people that have, at one point, subjugated and brutalized and made sub-human all of the surrounding Asian countries at one point or other in history, even though it's largely because of Japan that Korea, as a whole, has sovereignty from China.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    13 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Awesome insight man

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

HellBound Saint/Damnation Ready
    My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Follow hacknslash On Twitter Add hacknslash on Google+
    Visit hacknslash's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 303
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    So much for not negotiating with terrorists......This is Fucking Weak Even Homeland Security said that the threat of an actual attack is extremely low. I mean whats really goin to happen? Even if these so called Guardians of Peace Hackers originated from N. Korea and are pissed off enuff to commit actual real violence. Big Fucking Deal ! Its a Dirt Poor Nation Full of Slanty eyed Dirt Merchants, cut off from the rest of World . The most these lil fuckers can do is shoot at poor Farmers from S.Korea, and Launch dud missiles into the Ocean. In my Opinion Theatres should re-release Team America and play it in a double Feature with The Interview.
    America! Fuck Yeah!!

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    It's very likely they're actually Chinese hackers though I bet authorities are still going to be looking for some kind of local, inside accomplice, unless they were able to get in just because of how bad security was. If they exist, they already have a reservation at Gitmo. Any American involved must have shit a brick when #GOP made the threat to blow up movie theaters.

The latest I was told they've said no more info is gonna be leaked as long as the movie isn't ever released. It's estimated that if Sony were to just throw the film in a vault and throw away the key it would mean about $100M loss. That's ultimately less than they might lose otherwise, particularly if the medical records ends up being a sizable number. Those fines could go into the billions if they're anywhere near the number of SSN files they've got on employees.

$100M isn't going to wreck Sony but I wouldn't be surprised if the movie studio and animation studio and effects studio are up for sale very soon. If their biggest headache then is just the PSN and gaming they'll be much better off.

Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 12-19-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by hacknslash View Post
    In my Opinion Theatres should re-release Team America and play it in a double Feature with The Interview.
    America! Fuck Yeah!!
    This was announced, that several theater chains were going to show Team America in place of The Interview and they were told by Paramount that they absolutely were not going to show Team America. Any theater doing this now is opening themselves up to litigation.

Sony executives here in the States have their hands tied on this but that was a pussy movie by Americans.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Skip to the 40 second mark

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-31-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 5
    I like how North Korea offered the states a joint investigation into the event but also added "there would be dire consequences if the US doesn't agree." Nothing says "not guilty" like help us prove our innocence or you'll pay for it.

I know tyrannical and communist governments have never been known to handle criticism and mockery but it's almost like N.Korea is reacting like this hasn't ever happened before. Seriously, a film was released nearly a decade ago where Kim Jung Un's father was the villain and made fun of. A documentary/what if film was made a decade ago about the possibility if George Bush was assassinated. Dozens, if not hundreds of TV series has parodied and mocked leaders, active and retired, kindheartedly and maliciously. And this is just in the last century, you can go back all the way to ancient Greece where Aristophanes openly mocked generals and politicians who would be in his audience for his plays.

I'm not surprised they're angry about this, there was no way in hell this would go over lightly, but this reaction feels less of a communist government dealing with a perceived threat and more like a bitter child who absolutely has to win a fight. Hell, Kim Jung Un feels more dangerous and unfit for power then Putin, and that's saying something when Putin wants to relive the golden age of the cold war.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Looks like the film is getting a release much sooner than expected. Xmas day to be exact, as recent reports revealed that Sony plans to distribute the film via a limited theatrical run in only a "few theaters in the nation". Apparently the Alamo Drafthouse will be one of those theaters. There's also talk about it getting a VOD release on the same day, but details are sketchy at the moment.

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    13 Minutes Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    At this point just release it as they were supposed to. North Korea acts up again we can bring all 4 lines that supply their internet to a complete stop once again

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook