+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 190



  1. #161
    Resident Omega
    This user has no status.
     
    Solo's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Member #
    18731
    Posts
    2,749
    Threads
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 90
    Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    I haven't decided if I am seeing this in the theater or not. In one hand, it does look like a pretty decent remake. It takes original elements and updated them accordingly. In the other hand, horror remakes are often crap and not sure I would like to give money to fuel the shitty remake fire.

    I want to see it regardless, but who knows.
    Pretty much my take about seeing the flick. The older I get the less tolerance I have when it comes to rolling the dice on remakes.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I have been toying with a notion... that if one could find the perfect arrangement of all objects in any particular space it could create a resonance;
    benefits from which to the individual dwelling in that space could be extensive - could be far reaching... far reaching."


    ---- - Genius from the mind of Benjamin Horne

  2. #162
    Yup
    I'm gonna shove one of those
    fake hearing devices so far up
    your ass, you can hear the
    sound of your small intestine
    as it produces shit!
     
    Macready's Avatar
    Status
    Online
    Last Online
    8 Minutes Ago

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Member #
    1426
    Location
    'Jersey
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,859
    Threads
    349
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 456
    Given: 180
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    There are issues with remakes and there are issues with movies made from books where it is nearly impossible to pen a script and keep everything that makes the book so special. So really this movie has 2 very big problems. Although the TV movie is good...barely and only because of Curry's performance it isn't even a scratch on the surface of what the story truly is and how I felt reading the book. That's not to say a movie can't stand on its own but when a book is considered a classic that is impossible to ignore.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

    Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

  3. #163
    Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.
     
    Queenchrysalis1973's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    18 Hours Ago

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Member #
    19261
    Location
    Canterlot
    Age
    44
    Posts
    485
    Threads
    2
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0
    I really liked Pennywise appearing in that slideshow, that was creepy.
    That was one of the best parts.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #164
    Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.
     

    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    08-22-2017

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Member #
    19439
    Posts
    4
    Threads
    0
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I’ll be checking this out. Big fan of Stephen King and can’t wait to see how Muschietti handles it. Especially as I rather liked Mama, personally.

    I wasn’t aware of the fact that it was planned to be a duology, though, much alike that of the original mini-series with Tim Curry.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DaisyFranklin; 08-21-2017 at 08:00 PM.

  5. #165
    The Beast of UHM
    This user has no status.
     
    Horror_Maniac88's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    10-17-2017

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Member #
    14704
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    469
    Threads
    1
    My Mood
    Happy
    Add Horror_Maniac88 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    not a big fan of remakes but this looks pretty good. looking forward to seeing it

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    My Inner Demon

  6. #166
    Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1
     
    koolmike's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Member #
    16
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    21,052
    Threads
    933
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 99
    There is so much sh IT out there....I'm actually looking forward to this more now than ever.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."


  7. #167
    Yup
    I'm gonna shove one of those
    fake hearing devices so far up
    your ass, you can hear the
    sound of your small intestine
    as it produces shit!
     
    Macready's Avatar
    Status
    Online
    Last Online
    8 Minutes Ago

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Member #
    1426
    Location
    'Jersey
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,859
    Threads
    349
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 456
    Given: 180
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    Screenings are providing early reviews...one of the most common words to describe IT....FUNNY!?!?
    Typically when reviews come out this early such as this and the studio is using them to hype it up it is a bad sign.
    I'm still trying to get over funny as being so prevalent.

    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...n-of-all-time/

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

    Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

  8. #168
    Rotting Zealot
    Wear the grudge like a crown
    of negativity, calculate what
    we will or will not tolerate,
    desperate to control all and
    everything, unable to forgive
     
    tacticalbacon's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    9 Hours Ago

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Member #
    17741
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,093
    Threads
    12
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 60
    Wow. I always thought that keeping the embargo until after the movie released was a bad sign but you would know better than I. Still that's a lot of high praise coming from those sources so far, very interesting. I'm assuming the humor comes from the banter of the Loser Club and not anything to do with the scares, we shall see!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by tacticalbacon; 08-30-2017 at 01:24 PM.

  9. #169
    Yup
    I'm gonna shove one of those
    fake hearing devices so far up
    your ass, you can hear the
    sound of your small intestine
    as it produces shit!
     
    Macready's Avatar
    Status
    Online
    Last Online
    8 Minutes Ago

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Member #
    1426
    Location
    'Jersey
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,859
    Threads
    349
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 456
    Given: 180
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    The movie is good but the hype train is a bit heavy handed IMO. The good is this is probably the best King movie yet (although really, what does that say?). The production value is quite high and the movie is well filmed. The scares are good but they are so telegraphed by the music it is impossible to get any jolt. This is possibly the first movie I have ever seen where the jump scares were ruined because of the score. The atmosphere of the film is pretty much on point. It has a Goonies-esque/Stranger Things vibe but that is on par with the book. Those who are looking for a foreboding, dread like experience are mislead by the trailers and not reading the book.

    The child actors are phenomenal and are what make the film work. If they didn't play their roles absolutely perfect the movie would greatly suffer. They are the true stars and focal point of the story
    and luckily this version of IT does let them kind of outshine Pennywise.

    Now for Pennywise. Ugh...I'm not a fan. Studios have a need for CGI where CGI is not needed. There are scenes where they add CGI to Pennywise for no reason whatsoever!
    There are a few times where scenes involving Pennywise took me completely out of the movie because here is a fairly creepy Pennywise with VERY obvious CGI going on.

    So, IT is a good movie. It's not great, its not bad...it's far from fantastic but it is good. We here are not obviously new to the genre and very few of us gush over a movie just because it seems to be the thing to do.
    Check IT out and judge for yourself. It's not a bad day at the theater although it will be around 15 - 20 minutes longer than you feel it should be (the movie does outstay its welcome a bit running at nearly 2 hours and 20 minutes.)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

    Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

  10. #170
    Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.
     

    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Member #
    19283
    Posts
    35
    Threads
    0
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8
    glad to hear that the kids turned in good performances. in the original, I felt that the kids section was more enjoyable. and, in fairness, Tim Curry left very big clown shoes to fill.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Bloodypolo; 09-07-2017 at 04:53 PM.

  11. #171
    To Dazzling Darkness
    Why is it always just like
    this?
     
    RustedChainsaw's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Member #
    3868
    Location
    Leatherface's furnace room
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,482
    Threads
    13
    My Mood
    Sad
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 107
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodypolo View Post
    in fairness, Tim Curry left very big clown shoes to fill.
    Yeah, but the solution isn't to fill those shoes with CGI.

    But I'll admit, I am kinda excited for this. I might see it tomorrow, right after work.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #172
    Rotting Zealot
    Wear the grudge like a crown
    of negativity, calculate what
    we will or will not tolerate,
    desperate to control all and
    everything, unable to forgive
     
    tacticalbacon's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    9 Hours Ago

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Member #
    17741
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,093
    Threads
    12
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 60
    I just re-watched the miniseries, I swear it gets worse every time. So with this movie being merely good that's still a huge upgrade! That said I think they may still have the same struggles with the adult portion of the story, unless they do a good job tying the kids in with flashbacks enough to keep it interesting.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #173
    Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES
     
    strtfghtr's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    12 Hours Ago

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Member #
    13259
    Location
    Bungleville, CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,985
    Threads
    220
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 441
    Given: 225
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticalbacon View Post
    I just re-watched the miniseries, I swear it gets worse every time.
    I actually agree, last time i watched it I was left disappointed. I'm not even going to watch it before I see the new one today.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Fools believe bullshit without evaluation. Fools believe bullshit without reason, because they like the story or they want to fit in. Fools believe bullshit that has no scientific basis, or in some cases, directly conflicts with scientific knowledge. But foolishness can be cured. We have all been fools at one time or another, and intelligent people learn from their foolish mistakes and try not to make them again." - Dave Silverman

    All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

    https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

  14. #174
    UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?
     
    DMHead777's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Member #
    12844
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    29
    Posts
    13,183
    Threads
    385
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Visit DMHead777's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 913
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re Wii Code DMHead777
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    The movie is good but the hype train is a bit heavy handed IMO. The good is this is probably the best King movie yet (although really, what does that say?). The production value is quite high and the movie is well filmed. The scares are good but they are so telegraphed by the music it is impossible to get any jolt. This is possibly the first movie I have ever seen where the jump scares were ruined because of the score. The atmosphere of the film is pretty much on point. It has a Goonies-esque/Stranger Things vibe but that is on par with the book. Those who are looking for a foreboding, dread like experience are mislead by the trailers and not reading the book.

    The child actors are phenomenal and are what make the film work. If they didn't play their roles absolutely perfect the movie would greatly suffer. They are the true stars and focal point of the story
    and luckily this version of IT does let them kind of outshine Pennywise.

    Now for Pennywise. Ugh...I'm not a fan. Studios have a need for CGI where CGI is not needed. There are scenes where they add CGI to Pennywise for no reason whatsoever!
    There are a few times where scenes involving Pennywise took me completely out of the movie because here is a fairly creepy Pennywise with VERY obvious CGI going on.

    So, IT is a good movie. It's not great, its not bad...it's far from fantastic but it is good. We here are not obviously new to the genre and very few of us gush over a movie just because it seems to be the thing to do.
    Check IT out and judge for yourself. It's not a bad day at the theater although it will be around 15 - 20 minutes longer than you feel it should be (the movie does outstay its welcome a bit running at nearly 2 hours and 20 minutes.)
    Hit every nail on the head.

    Completely overrated. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, but it definitely does not deserve all the hype it gets. I remember the exact moment the music began to bug me in the film. There is no tension because the score tells you when something is about to happen. It's jump scare after jump scare of Pennywise growling at the kids, camera shaking, and the kids running away. It was disappointing.

    But as Mac pointed out, the kids did an AMAZING job. I loved the cast and even dug whatshisname as Pennywise. I just didn't find Pennywise intimidating or scary. I blame the shitty CGI and the overall character design.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DMHead777; 09-09-2017 at 05:00 PM.

  15. #175
    To Dazzling Darkness
    Why is it always just like
    this?
     
    RustedChainsaw's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Member #
    3868
    Location
    Leatherface's furnace room
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,482
    Threads
    13
    My Mood
    Sad
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 107
    There were a few sequences that really worked, but overall, the majority were cliched stuff you'd find in your typical PG-13 horror movie. I felt a bit bored at times. I didn't get why they didn't incorporate certain parts in the novel that could've easily been achieved with their budget and the technology. And don't even get me started on the most iconic scene.

    The kids were very good, and Jaeden Lieberher and Sophia Lillis stood out in particular. Finn Wolfhard, who played Richie, unfortunately overdid it a little with his lines.

    If I do decide to watch this movie again, it'll be to compare and contrast things that might've been in the novel.

    6/10

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #176
    The Architect
    This user has no status.
     
    FrighT MasteR's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Member #
    1
    Location
    A semi-dark room
    Posts
    30,262
    Threads
    1745
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 109
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Good day for R-rated horror with IT pulling in over $117-million this weekend, making it the best opening weekend for a horror film

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #177
    Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES
     
    strtfghtr's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    12 Hours Ago

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Member #
    13259
    Location
    Bungleville, CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,985
    Threads
    220
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 441
    Given: 225
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Quote Originally Posted by FrighT MasteR View Post
    Good day for R-rated horror with IT pulling in over $117-million this weekend, making it the best opening weekend for a horror film
    This is great news for all horror movies

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Fools believe bullshit without evaluation. Fools believe bullshit without reason, because they like the story or they want to fit in. Fools believe bullshit that has no scientific basis, or in some cases, directly conflicts with scientific knowledge. But foolishness can be cured. We have all been fools at one time or another, and intelligent people learn from their foolish mistakes and try not to make them again." - Dave Silverman

    All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

    https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

  18. #178
    Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES
     
    strtfghtr's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    12 Hours Ago

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Member #
    13259
    Location
    Bungleville, CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,985
    Threads
    220
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 441
    Given: 225
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Fools believe bullshit without evaluation. Fools believe bullshit without reason, because they like the story or they want to fit in. Fools believe bullshit that has no scientific basis, or in some cases, directly conflicts with scientific knowledge. But foolishness can be cured. We have all been fools at one time or another, and intelligent people learn from their foolish mistakes and try not to make them again." - Dave Silverman

    All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

    https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

  19. #179
    Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.
     

    Status
    Offline
    Last Online

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Member #
    19325
    Posts
    178
    Threads
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 36
    What did I tell you? It is #1 in America.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #180
    Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.
     
    Faust's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Last Online
    7 Hours Ago

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Member #
    18962
    Age
    37
    Posts
    758
    Threads
    257
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 82
    This isn't really a remake as some are calling it on here. It's just another adaptation of the book. If the book didn't exist and it was just the mini series then that would be a different story.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •