Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 69
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus

PSA: Do NOT go to see the movie, "As Above, So Below"

This is going to contain some spoilers so if you are interested in seeing this vile piece of shit, don't read any further.

I'm not really good at reviews so this is going to be more of a MSTK3K style making fun of the movie, play by play.

As Above, So Below easily ranks as one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my entire life. This includes the hours of my life that I've lost to low-budget shit flicks and even the hours of my life that I don't mind losing to "so funny that they are bad" movies. This was, from a film making standpoint.. as well as from a story stand point one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

In the beginning we are on a bus crossing the border into Iran.. where we meet the hero of the story "Scarlett" who is a triple PhD graduate from London University currently on the most dangerous trip in her life. She is sneaking into Iran because the evil government is demolishing a set of caverns that could quite possibly contain long lost secrets of a long lost culture. She briefly takes off her hijab to say to the camera that only she is able to discover/save this artifact and that the government would kill her if they knew what she was doing.. but they would have to CATCH her first, she winks as she puts back on her disguise. Honestly, I was surprised to find out the actress, Perdita Weeks was actually born in Wales because I thought her British accent was the cheesiest thing ever and it kept going in and out throughout the movie. So she finds the door to what she's looking for, but she gets frustrated so she rips off her hijab in disgust taking the time to mention, "HOW can anyone live in these things" you know, just to let the audience know that the director is politically aware of stuff and shit. So she finds the secret behind the door (it's a big black cow sculpture), gets it on her camcorder and escapes JUST as the construction crew ends their countdown and blows up the caverns.

So now she has this secret, but it's in Aramaic..and while our dear Scarlett speaks 4 different languages.. fluently.. and two dead languages... fluently (yes, she takes the time to tell you this) she doesn't actually speak Aramaic, BUT she knows exactly who does.. the scene shifts to the Notre Dame in Paris. She leads her cameraman over to a hidden door towards the back of the cathedral.. "What are you doing?!?" the cameraman asks in disbelief. Don't worry, it's just Scarlett picking a lock to get into the super secret area of the Notre Dame cathedral. "What are we doing here?!?!" Asks the cameraman in disbelief. Don't worry, Scarlett knows this mystery guy who apparently likes to break in to places like this and fix things that are broken. Cue in the love interest, an early 30s AMERICAN who is covered in grease and sweat and obviously has a bone to pick with Scarlett. "Why did you ditch me after the job in Turkey?" He asks, the light catching his lopsided grin. Scarlett blushes and tries to explain that it wasn't her fault, she had to do what she had to do. So Scarlett continues to fill in the love interest. Out of nowhere, gears start to turn.. whatever he was trying to fix has obviously been fixed.. and they need to get out of there FAST. Except they don't. They casually walk to the balcony as the Notre Dame's bells begin to clang and ring out and he laughs and says, "Look at the faces of all of these French people, they haven't heard the sound of these bells in over 300 years." Do they explain why an American in his early thirties was able to fix something that no one else was able to for 300 years? No, there's no time. He's agreed to help Scarlett translate what she found in the caverns. So their next stop is a museum, it looks like the Louvre.. but they don't specifically say it's the Louvre.. maybe they were afraid people were going to think that they were ripping off "The Davinci's Code" or something.. but apparently they weren't afraid of people thinking that they were ripping off "National Treasure" because this scene is a bit for bit ripoff of "National Treasure".. You see, they've found the tablet that they are looking for. The love interest begins to read it out.. but he says that there's nothing there.. nothing that will help them at least. So Scarlett takes out her iPad and shows him what she found in the caverns.. he begins to read it and low and behold there's something on the tablet that tells him to look on the BACK of the tablet. So, ignoring the protests of the other men, Scarlett takes down the tablet and flips it over. BUT THERE'S NOTHING THERE. The two men say well, what do you expect.. BUT Scarlett has a trick up her sleeve. She goes over to the janitor's cart that is nearby and grabs a random bottle of cleaning supplies. She carefully pours it all over the tablet. "What are you doing!?!?!" Both of the men ask. Scarlett asks for the cameraman's matches and low and behold there is a secret bit of writing that can only be seen when you light it on fire. It's a riddle. A riddle. That can be translated perfectly into English. From a tablet written in Aramaic. So they figure the riddle out in 5 seconds and find out that they need to go the catacombs under Paris. So they go on a guided tour. On the tour they see the direction that they need to go.. but it's blocked. "Look for Papi" the brooding guy dressed in black writing in a moleskin journal in the dark that's not part of the tour says. Everyone agrees to look for Papi and as they turn back to thank the brooding guy HE'S GONE

So after a brief visit to an EDM club where they find Papi, at first he says no, but then Scarlett says that there's treasure in the catacombs and whatever they find, Papi gets half, then we are introduced to the catacombs spelunking group. There's Papi who looks like he is a freelance writer for VICE magazine. There's another guy who is pretty nondescript and forgettable. THEN there's a real treat. They have an emo girl named.. get this.. Siouxsie the Banshee (you know, like that emo band Siouxsie and the Banshees from the late '70s?). Except everyone just calls her Siouxsie for short. So Papi leads them to his secret entrance.. except not everyone is going to go down. The love interest, George, has a fear of enclosed spaces because his little brother died in a cavern when they were younger. So everyone is about to set off and leave George.. BUT at that moment the police find them and George has to make a split second decision and becomes a member of the spelunking crew.

Now they are in the super special section of the catacombs. They pass by a room of creepy cultists standing around still with their heads down (ala Paranormal Activity 3) but the group just passes them by, you know.. because everyone down in the catacombs is "cuckoo". So we come to a split in the road. Papi wants to go the safe, known way. Scarlett wants to go down the path that was revealed to her by the secret in the catacombs in the beginning. They fight about it.. but ultimately they choose to go the safe route. Whew. Except as they are going through the safe route there is a cave-in and the group is forced to retreat and take Scarlett's path.. UH-OH-SPAGHETTI-O

So now they are in uncharted territory, did I tell you about Papi's friend that got lost in the catacombs and was never seen again? No? Well his name is Mole. Guess who they meet, immediately in the uncharted territory? Mole. He's fine, he's a bit different and he is wearing blackened goggles.. in a darkened catacomb.. but he tells them that he knows the way out.. you just have to go further down into the catacombs. The group then comes across a piano. "This looks just like the piano my family had when I was a child" but it couldn't be the same piano, that would just be silly. "It couldn't be the same piano" George says, "our piano had a dead A7 key" so George begins to play a little ditty and he strikes the A7 key.. but the key is dead Cue an old-timey phone ringing somewhere down in the catacombs. Papi tells them that all of the phone supplies were taken out of the catacombs in the '50s.. but they find one anyway! Scarlett picks up the receiver and there's a creepy voice that says some stuff.. but nothing really happens. Then some other stuff happens, but eventually they find the door that Scarlett was looking for. Behind it is a perfectly preserved Templar's Knight from the Crusades. Why is there a Templar's Knight from the Crusades in the catacombs underneath Paris? Well, we never find out. But beyond him is the treasure. It literally looks like the fake treasure from Smuggler's Den in the South Park episode entitled, "ManBearPig". So the cave spelunking group begins to faun over the treasure. Except for George and Scarlett, they are looking for something else. What are they looking for? Did I not tell you? No? Well, apparently they are down there looking for the Philosopher's Stone. Scarlett looks over some Egyptian hieroglyphics (I know what you are thinking, Egyptian hieroglyphics underneath the catacombs in Paris? wtf?) but she reads the glyphics and finds the Philosopher's stone. "Isn't that clever?" She says, "Hide the most valuable item in the history of mankind right next to the treasure, where no one will look." I'm not making that line up, it's verbatim. Unfortunately, the Smuggler's Den treasure was a trap and the group is forced to dive into the water to escape the cave-in (yeah, there are like four or five cave-ins in this movie) the weird thing is that the room that they escape to looks mysteriously like the room that they just escaped FROM. With one difference, everything is opposite.

(at this point I should point out that I genuinely thought, "ohhhh, so that's why they did the poster like that.. maybe this is a good sign.. maybe the movie will get really good after this... then about five minutes later I came to the realization that this plot development served a very specific purpose. You see, now they can use the EXACT same set pieces, except in reverse order.. pretty clever on the part of the production team )

So now the group is in bizarro, opposite world. Mole freaks out for some reason and bites Siouxsie on the neck.. as she lays dying Papi is crying his poor little French heart out, but Scarlett has an idea! She grabs the Philosopher's Stone and uses it like a salt shaker and dusts the wound on Siouxsie's neck. After a second the wound is healed AND cleaned. Siouxsie lives to cry about another day. So now everyone is really interested in this stone that Scarlett has in her possession, but do they do anything about it? No, because Scarlett rushes past them to a mural on the wall. Suddenly it all makes sense to her. "As Above, So Below" she says.. of course! She explains that it's the basis of all magic.. that whatever you want to be will be. That the world is literally what you make it. Then she comes to the conclusion that to finally escape the catacombs they just need to keep going further down. Then some stone creatures come out of the wall and kill Siouxsie and they get freaked out and run away. Then they find out that there's a guy in a grim reaper Halloween costume following them around. They run away from him and come to an unfamiliar cave-like entrance with Aramaic writing over the top. George walks up and begins to translate, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." I shit you not, that's apparently what it says.. so they enter anyway, even after Scarlett tells them that that is what is supposedly above the gates to hell. They have a repelling scene (yes, another cave-in occurs) and the cameraman falls and dies. George falls and gets mortally wounded.. but he's not dead. So Scarlett rushes over to use her Philosopher's Stone to save him.. except.. nothing happens. George is sputtering something. Scarlett leans in to hear. "Wrong stone" he says. Oh noes! Scarlett realizes that even she was tricked and somehow grabbed the false Philosopher's Stone. Papi tells her that there's no time left. She says that she MUST run back and get the real Philosopher's Stone. (yes, she runs back through the exact same set pieces). But she successfully gets to the Smuggler's Den treasure room (what happened to the cave-ins? You may be asking yourself.. well.. screw you! That's what happened to them!)

Scarlett frantically reads over the hieroglyphics.. what could she have missed? Then she sees it.. it's a big fucking stone in the center of the hieroglyphics.. she tries to get it out.. but it doesn't budge. In desperation she swipes at it.. and.. it's amazing. It's not a stone! It's a MIRROR. Scarlett looks confused for a second, but then she says to herself, "As Above, So Below.. the world is what you make it" and then she laughs to herself as she realizes that there is no Philosopher's Stone, the mirror was there to let her know that the Philosopher's Stone was within her all along. She just had to believe in herself. So, using this mantra she runs through the stone monsters and the grim reaper guy and back to George who is dying. "Did you get the stone?" Papi asks. "No" Scarlett says.. then she says, "As Above, So Below" and kisses George. George is cured! Everyone wants to know exactly what is going on and she tells them that their guilty pasts are what is holding them down here in the catacombs.. so, one by one she asks each remaining member of the group what they are guilty of and says, "the world is what you make it" to each of them and forgives them and then everything seems to be okay. So they keep running and find a hole that might just be their passage out of this mess.. except they can't open. "As Above, So Below" Scarlett says, "Try PUSHING it" So the guys try pushing the door and low and behold it opens and turn out to be a manhole cover. So, bloodied and scared they crawl down into the manhole cover and out onto the streets of Paris across the river from the Notre Dame cathedral. Are they safe? Is this their world. Yes, yes it is.. so they hug and one of the guys walks away and George and Scarlett kiss and the credits begin to roll.

I am a bit biased. I personally think that the whole "found footage" genre of Horror was played out back in 2007 or 2008.. at this point they are pretty much just beating a dead horse. But seriously, this movie was dumb on so many levels it was disgusting.

If I had to give this movie a score it would honestly be maybe a 1.5/10. It wasn't entertaining even in a so bad it's good sort of way. It genuinely felt like a cheap attempt to use GoPro cameras and film on a super low budget so any ticket sales they did make would be cash in the bank. There is no passion in this movie. There is NO reason for this movie to exist. Avoid it like the plague. It's not even a Redbox "I have nothing to do on a Saturday night" watch.. d/l it if you have nothing else to watch.

In the eternal words of Elder, "What a waste."

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Coker; 08-30-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    ~Wake up! Time to die.~

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    LOL, the NY Times review that pops up when you google this turd compares watching it to watching an inexpertly done colonoscopy. Wow.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    None of this surprises me

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    16 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 459
    I saw it two nights ago, what a fucking tragedy.

I was looking forward to this horror flick since it was original and had an interesting plot for a found-footage movie, but fuck it was terrible.

I'm a sad horror fan today.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

The Rottweiler
    The Hound of Horror

Status
    Last Online
    5 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Add Halcon Loco on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 4
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Hawk Wesker PSN ID KryptixHawk
    I'll definitely avoid this.

Si usted no puede correr con los perros grandes permanecer en el porche!

Number of Horror Movies Seen- 1,907

HellBound Saint/Damnation Ready
    My "Give a Fuck" is
    Still Broken,but my "Go
    Fuck Yourself" is Fully
    Functional!

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Follow hacknslash On Twitter Add hacknslash on Google+
    Visit hacknslash's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 303
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID hacknslashbmf
    I heard this movie is way better if your wearing beret an fill up on Grapes an Wine, before viewing

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    There's no way to do "good" found footage post TBWP. It works there. Anywhere else it's just stupid. If you're doing a short segment, you can get away with it. A whole movie? No. The main conceit, then, becomes more unbelievable than anything you could possible show on the screen.

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    There's no way to do "good" found footage post TBWP. It works there. Anywhere else it's just stupid. If you're doing a short segment, you can get away with it. A whole movie? No. The main conceit, then, becomes more unbelievable than anything you could possible show on the screen.
    I agree 100%. I used to just groan whenever I found out that a new horror movie was going to use the "found footage" trick.. but now I'm just fed up. It doesn't work. It's just a pathetic attempt by the film crew to cut down on budget cost.

Also, with the Blair Witch Project. I mean, say what you want about the film itself.. but the marketing strategy behind that film was a stroke of fucking genius. I was ~8th grade when it came out and it was cool how the word of mouth got around our town about the movie, it was like an urban legend building up to the release date. The problem, I think at least, is that other people in the industry look at the Blair Witch Project's success in the wrong way.. it seems like they view it as, "Wow, these guys made a movie on a shoestring budget and their profit margins were out of this world" when really the success should have been viewed as "we have this innovative idea for a viral campaign that is going to shake up a stale repetitive genre". They should be looking for original, fresh ideas that are going to reinvigorate or even break new ground. Not just throw shit at a wall and see if it sticks.

Last edited by Coker; 08-30-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    ~Wake up! Time to die.~

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    1 Hour Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    I warned everyone in the thread for this flick

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/...o-Below-(2014)

Last edited by Macready; 08-30-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    I was never really all that interested in this film, and then I saw the review when I came online trashing the film beyond belief. Definitely have no interest in seeing this now that everyone says its shit

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    Quote Originally Posted by Macready View Post
    I warned everyone in the thread for this flick
    Damn. I probably should have done a quick search on this site to see if anyone had any information on it. I only have myself to blame. I ignored the warning signs and went in half-cocked. It's been a while since I've had such a genuinely negative reaction to a flick though, I've only walked out of two movies in my lifetime ('94s When a Man Loves a Woman + the '12 Reboot of Total Recall).. I was definitely tempted.. but I had nothing better to do and they already had my money so I thought I'd see how it ended.

~Wake up! Time to die.~

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    16 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    I disrespectfully disagree with those that say that "found footage" techniques never work outside of TBWP but I know for a fact that Frankenstien's Army is a good and effective movie that uses this technique in spades.

Honestly, the only issue everyone went batshit crazy over, even to this day they hide behind their excuse, that it wasn't in black and white to fit the setting...to which you really have to ask yourself if Frankenstein's Army was released with the black and white with a bit of tweaking to the audio to make it feel and sound like the period it was made from would you still bother to watch it with a passing glance? No, of course you wouldn't because everything has to be in color and in good audio so we can get all the goods we want out of a horror film, and hell I'd watch it if it came out in black and white with audio tweaks and it could be equally as good.

In all honesty it kind of baffles me when horror fans get a new horror film, original no less and one that doesn't suck, they quickly nit-pick it to shit because reasons...As Above, So Below could've been another horror classic had it followed through with more of its awesome idea, instead it was a bullshit movie with bullshit filmmakers who really had no idea what the fuck they were doing and only served to make horror movies in the mainstream more pitiful and even harder to make original movies, but this time it's the filmmakers who fucked it all up and should be horribly ashamed of themselves for being a cancer toward creativity in general.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I didn't see Frankenstein's Army but if it was indeed "found footage" and was not B&W and made to look like 1940s film then it was full of fail and an absolutely stupid idea. Doing a period film with this style of narrative and not doing it in a period aesthetic is beyond a believable level of unintelligence. That is dumber than the dumbest idea I've ever seen or heard from the dumbest level of dumb Hollywood studio executive. It would be an almost unprecedented epic level of "not getting it."

Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 08-30-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-16-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Bored
    Follow insidious-whispers On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 28
    I run a blog and therefore I go out and watch every new horror movie in theaters when it comes out so I can review it. Think this is gonna have to be the exception on that one as I have not seen a single person say anything even remotely good about it. I'm actually really disappointed because I saw the trailer for it when I went to see the new Purge movie and it looked awesome.

"We all end up in a tiny pine box, a mighty small drop, and a mighty dark plot, and the mighty fine print hastens the trip to our epilogue."

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I disrespectfully disagree with those that say that "found footage" techniques never work outside of TBWP but I know for a fact that Frankenstien's Army is a good and effective movie that uses this technique in spades.

Honestly, the only issue everyone went batshit crazy over, even to this day they hide behind their excuse, that it wasn't in black and white to fit the setting...to which you really have to ask yourself if Frankenstein's Army was released with the black and white with a bit of tweaking to the audio to make it feel and sound like the period it was made from would you still bother to watch it with a passing glance? No, of course you wouldn't because everything has to be in color and in good audio so we can get all the goods we want out of a horror film, and hell I'd watch it if it came out in black and white with audio tweaks and it could be equally as good.

In all honesty it kind of baffles me when horror fans get a new horror film, original no less and one that doesn't suck, they quickly nit-pick it to shit because reasons...As Above, So Below could've been another horror classic had it followed through with more of its awesome idea, instead it was a bullshit movie with bullshit filmmakers who really had no idea what the fuck they were doing and only served to make horror movies in the mainstream more pitiful and even harder to make original movies, but this time it's the filmmakers who fucked it all up and should be horribly ashamed of themselves for being a cancer toward creativity in general.
    I get your point, however I found Frankenstein's Army to be pretty horrid. Better films to make your statement with would have been Cannibal Holocaust, Grave Encounters, REC, AU Penance

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    16 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    I didn't see Frankenstein's Army but if it was indeed "found footage" and was not B&W and made to look like 1940s film then it was full of fail and an absolutely stupid idea. Doing a period film with this style of narrative and not doing it in a period aesthetic is beyond a believable level of unintelligence. That is dumber than the dumbest idea I've ever seen or heard from the dumbest level of dumb Hollywood studio executive. It would be an almost unprecedented epic level of "not getting it."
    That's actually poor judgement, you SHOULD see Frankenstein's Army despite it being set in the 1940s and not being in black and white, it's still a good horror movie with good ideas and it's truly one of the best out there that horror fans are starving for.

Sure FrighT only gave it like a 5/10, saying it was only good for the practical effects work, but it's worth more than that I feel, if you look pass the colorful found-footage part of it then you'll find it enjoyable and one of the best in the genre to come out, it's original, it's fun, it's atmospheric at times, it's what horror fans could only hope to DREAM for...but no, everything HAS to be Shakespearean perfection with every horror movie now and that's just sad. No one wants to have fun any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    I get your point, however I found Frankenstein's Army to be pretty horrid. Better films to make your statement with would have been Cannibal Holocaust, Grave Encounters, REC, AU Penance
    All true, but I still put Frankenstein's Army in as a classic to those horror movies, again you can say what you will about it being strangely out of place with no black and white and what not, but it's still a worthy piece of horror for its originality and its practical effects which are a severely dying artform in the mainstream.

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    .....It takes place in the catacombs...Can anyone name me one film that takes place there that actually works? I planned to avoid this anyway.

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    ...but no, everything HAS to be Shakespearean perfection with every horror movie now and that's just sad. No one wants to have fun any more.
    No, no, no this isn't a case of "that's a 1945 model and not a 1943 model" of something or other, like happens in the best of circumstances, or "those kind of buttons weren't around yet," or even "that hair style wasn't popular until about ten years later," or all the shopping list that's wrong with practically every historical film made by Mel Gibson. You're saying this is "found footage" when it's obviously not even film we're looking at (just refreshed my memory with the trailer) but clean, digital video. That's worse than having characters walking around in Nike sneakers or sporting a pair of Oakleys.

But all this is likely much ado about nothing because after watching the trailer I see that Frankenstein's Army isn't found footage at all.

Now, there could very well be an absolutely retarded prologue (no offense to actual mentally disabled peoples) or opening that explicitly implies that what you see is supposedly long lost footage found and presented to the audience. If that is the case then this is a doubly stupid filmmaker for: A) fronting that modern, pristine, digital video is anything but without competently and adequately aging and transforming it into something that looks legit, which is so fucking easy even Robert Rodriguez can do it, and, B) not even making his fake found footage movie in a found footage style. But I'm thinking that's not the case, while also not being curious enough to find out at the moment.

This is more a case of audiences not knowing what the fuck they're talking about, or online blogsters or film critics, etc. And, yeah, that is a problem. Thank you Internet. It has a lot of hand held photography by the looks of it. That does not equal "found footage". While you would still be wrong you would actually be more right if you were to talk either positively or negatively about it being a French New Wave film.

Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 08-31-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    16 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    No, no, no this isn't a case of "that's a 1945 model and not a 1943 model" of something or other, like happens in the best of circumstances, or "those kind of buttons weren't around yet," or even "that hair style wasn't popular until about ten years later," or all the shopping list that's wrong with practically every historical film made by Mel Gibson. You're saying this is "found footage" when it's obviously not even film we're looking at (just refreshed my memory with the trailer) but clean, digital video. That's worse than having characters walking around in Nike sneakers or sporting a pair of Oakleys.

But all this is likely much ado about nothing because after watching the trailer I see that Frankenstein's Army isn't found footage at all.

Now, there could very well be an absolutely retarded prologue (no offense to actual mentally disabled peoples) or opening that explicitly implies that what you see is supposedly long lost footage found and presented to the audience. If that is the case then this is a doubly stupid filmmaker for: A) fronting that modern, pristine, digital video is anything but without competently and adequately aging and transforming it into something that looks legit, which is so fucking easy even Robert Rodriguez can do it, and, B) not even making his fake found footage movie in a found footage style. But I'm thinking that's not the case, while also not being curious enough to find out at the moment.

This is more a case of audiences not knowing what the fuck they're talking about, or online blogsters or film critics, etc. And, yeah, that is a problem. Thank you Internet. It has a lot of hand held photography by the looks of it. That does not equal "found footage". While you would still be wrong you would actually be more right if you were to talk either positively or negatively about it being a French New Wave film.
    To be honest, I didn't really care if it was found footage or not, it's just been a looooong time since we ever got more legit monster movies like Frankenstein's Army, because H-wood would NEVER allow it to exist in the mainstream because it's so new and with no CGI at all with only practical effects which is a dying artform that is sorely missed from the genre itself and Frankenstein's Army never went dumb or stupid, it could've easily been fucked up if in other hands that never cared about telling a good story with great unnerving settings and fantastically morbid and crazy monsters that are in front of the camera.

It's just when most people take it down on such simple of terms as to why it doesn't work as a film (of which i respect everyone's opinion with anything being bad if it has a horrible screenplay, bad acting, lousy direction, etc.) I just hate seeing good movies like it not be appreciated by horror fans even if it's not as great as other horror movies that came before or after.

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

Zombiefied Zealot
    damn status bar...my entries
    are too long for you:dislike:

Status
    Last Online
    08-25-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303